Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Minion damage debate. Clarification would be nice.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Maulkrieg

08-18-2012

A friend says that pro streamers said "You take no damage from melee minions, so it allows your harass to be amazing early game." He specifically mentioned Kayle.

I say that they weren't being literal; that it was a simple hyperbole. He insists they were being literal. I told him that its mathematically impossible to take zero damage from minions at the start of the game. My proof being this:

Kayle starts with 20.5 armor at level 1.

Doran's Shield was specifically mentioned for letting you harass and take "no minion damage" with the right masteries. Including runes and masteries, you would have 20.5+13+10+6(-4 minion damage).That's 50 armor if you round up, which is .66666667 damage from AD.

Melee minions have 12 (+1/3 per min) AD. I won't even include how they will have 13 AD by the time they get to you, and 14 by the time your harass becomes a threat.
(12-4)*.6666667=5.333336.
However, if the system works contrary to normal flat reductions in the math, it would still be 12*.6666667-4=4.

Again, I mentioned, streamers were not being literal, as HP regen may make it so you take a net of 0 damage from melee minions in trades.

I do not see how I can logically be wrong without a bug in the system. So, please clarify if the actual results are different than the theory.

TL;DR You always take damage from minions, possibly with the exception of Amumu or Sion, unless there is a bug.

Skilltestingman

08-18-2012

Ok um, u have to understand that it wasn't literal. I don't even see how u don't see it.

It's impossible to take no damage. Because of the small damage u take plus health regen, you can feel comfortable staying in lane

KnightxSScarlett

08-18-2012

Actually, I play Singed top and take zero damage from melee minions around lvl 9. Like, you see zeroes popping up above my head. I think the masteries are applied post calculation.

Nesious

08-19-2012

Masteries that reduce damage taken by a flat amount (Minion Damage reduction and Indomitable) Along with high amounts of armor or Amumu' passive on his E can potentially make it so that you take zero damage from minions, but not from armor itself.

xCry0x

08-19-2012

a lot of top lane players run 9/21 as mentioned above with the damage reduction masteries, as has been stated they do this because of the massive amounts of damage you take early game from minions if you harass as a mele champion.