Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

"Carry yourself out of ELO Hell"

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

laberge

09-17-2012

People need to realize that just cause their team died before the other, doesn't mean the game is lost.

newpillows

09-26-2012

Quote:
Jeppy PHD:
Actually the jungler is meant to be a player who can intermediate between all lanes and help lanes out when the opportunity arises, not babysit a lane because they are making bad decisions or getting outplayed. If they are babysitting a lane, they might as well be in the lane permanently as opposed to jungling.

As jungle Amumu in the last solo queue I played I went 8/10/31 because I jumped in to initiate, I built to be a secondary ap carry/tank using a build that I designed that worked, I placed wards for all my lanes when theirs ran out, saved carries from ganks by counter-ganking when they overextended to chase, and overall supported the team.

You have to find the champions that reflect your play style and practice with them in draft mode by yourself or with a friend.

I am good with a lot of the champs, bad with others, but I am great with these 18;

Lee Sin (Jungle)
Jax (Jungle/Top)
Shen (Jungle/Top)
Varus (ADC)
Sona (Support)
Nautilus (Jungle)
Lux (Support/Mid)
Ashe (ADC)
Ezreal (ADC)
Amumu (Jungle)
Soraka (Support)
Wukong (Top/Jungle)
Darius (Top)
Ryze (Mid)
Vladimir (Mid/Top)
Ahri (Mid)
Poppy (Jungle)
Fiora (Jungle/Top)
Alistar (Support/Jungle)

Try these champions out and see what happens, maybe they'll click for you like they did for me.

You have the gold to be able to buy wards for other lanes? I've been playing Amumu a lot to get my elo up and I almost always start with regrowth pendant and 1pot. I got wolves, blue, wraiths, wolves, red, wraiths, wolves. Albeit no lane is gankable. However when I return to buy, which if i haven't ganked yet or been counterjungled will be close to level 6, I will get Philo, Heart of Gold, and a Kage's if i could afford or boots2. I know i could ward other lanes, but they definitely recieve more gold than the jungle if you don't build greed like I do. I understand an occasion ward early game because they need farm. But what in the case of you warding the also have a ward. That gives away your position as a jungler and allows for counter jungling or a gank on the other side of the map. IMO junglers warding lanes sounds like a bad idea for this reason.

D3US

11-17-2012

Quote:
ninjagear:

how will you know when your doing better? see below.

3/5/4 ahri
>doing better

TooBeastIy

Recruiter

11-17-2012

i carried my self from 900 elo, i went top lane won lane got fed and roamed, if u are better after maybe about 200 games u'll be back to 1200 this is asumming u already have placement matches but with the seasons placement matches still running it should be a lot easier

i can carry anylane tbh, just get 2 kills for everykill ur team gives up and dont die and u will have a much higher chance of winning

ninjagear

11-17-2012

Quote:
D3US:
3/5/4 ahri
>doing better

u so mad

DJChernobyl

11-17-2012

Quote:
Selcopa:
This is not the case, you are in placement matches, after 77 games you will win and lose 12.5 per game on average, so dont worry about it.

At the end of the day elo is simply a measurement of how many mistakes you make, the being unable to capitalize on the enemy mistakes is also a mistake of your own, when you make less mistakes your elo will go up.

The reason players have trouble moving up is because they lack critical thinking skills, they are unable to look at situations and be able to understand how to respond to it unless they have seen it before(and sometimes it takes more than once to learn for them)

Stop blaming your teammates, your teammates make the mistakes they do because they belong at that elo, if you want to move up, you need to always be making less mistakes than your teammates, just because you see your teammates making mistakes doesnt mean they dont see you making mistakes.

Selcopa is the guy to listen to IMO, after taking a look at things he had to say, and taking a long look at the way the I (read that part again it is important I!) play the game, i reevaluated the way i look at league. Elo is a system of averages in the long term, not short term bursts. Over the course of the entire season, if you improve, thats when gold, platinum, and diamond become obtainable.

Deveyes

11-17-2012

I want a pro player to do a series of videos climbing out of elo hell...

Not . gonna . happen.

TooBeastIy

Recruiter

11-17-2012

it did happen.
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=1498738

Deveyes

11-18-2012

i was speaking current considering the non reset to elo this season is imbalanced....

jangley

11-21-2012

Quote:
phennexion:
Hello!

Please dont troll me, this is one of my first forum posts I dont usually come here but I have a question...

How do you carry yourself out of solo elo hell? I mean... when you got teammates feeding 1st and 2nd blood, or you get a leaver/afk... which makes you 4v5, or some other random act of stupidity that brings the team down, you can be super super fed carry, but you still cant win against a team pushing your tower/inhib when they focus you down?

Thanks for any constructive replies

This might sound brash and ranty (and it is, because of the influx of ELO system QQers due to the crazy placement matches going on) but please take it as kind advice. Also, it is not gameplay improvement advice, it is to hopefully give you a different perspective on the whole "elo hell" thing, and what is actually happening.

Here's my problem with the entire idea of "carrying yourself out of elo hell". Being at an elo rating above "elo hell" makes you one of the best players in the game, statistically.

I am rated a humble ~1400 elo. Top for S2 was 1483. I play at roughly this level and can't break into 1500 because the people in gold consistently outplay me. Here's some fun math, because most people consider my range, roughly, to be out of "elo hell", albeit just at the edge.

There are ~11 million active players per month. Say only 4 million are North America. Let's just pull out of our hat that only 1 million actually play ranked. Again this is out of my hat but I feel probably a decent estimate, and tbh probably lowballed. According to the S2 ladders, there were 80,000 people above my 1483 ranking. So taking elo at face value for play skill, there are only 80k people who are better than me at this game. Out of 1 million. Meaning I am capable of outplaying 92% of ranked League players. That is fantastically high! All of a sudden the 1400s don't seem so low? That 1100 elo isn't looking so shabby either. Let's say you want to leave elo hell, and get to 1400s. This means that if we wander through your university, or high school, or neighborhood, or whatever, and find 10 people who play ranked League of Legends, you will be better than ALL of them more often than not. This is what you are wanting out of this "leaving elo hell" idea. DO YOU REALLY PLAY THAT WELL?

Unfortunately at lower elos, there are a lot more leavers/feeders than higher up. This is why everyone is stuck in that elo but not for the reason you think. It distracts them from the real issue that they aren't good enough to be out of that elo. They blame it on the "obvious" reason and not the one actually causing the "problem". Mathematically, you will climb to your elo regardless of leavers/feeders, because the other team is simply more likely to have a leaver/feeder. 10% more likely to be precise. Well, unless you are that leaver/feeder. Have 2 leavers on your team? Sure that was bad luck but over a large enough sample size, you will have 10% fewer feeders than the other team, unless you feed. If you feed 1 out of every 10 games, congrats you have completely toasted your mathematical advantage, and perhaps this is why you are still in that low elo.

Play lots of games (100+). That is your for real elo. Stop blaming it on others. Now improve your play, the numbers will follow. This is how to "get out of elo hell". Improving your gameplay, however, is different advice and it is advice definitely worth seeking, even for me. Try http://www.reddit.com/r/summonerschool. They have people who will take a look at your replays and help you out with improving.

tl;dr - You're trying to improve the wrong thing. Don't fix the number, fix your play the number will follow.