Drop Sunfire Late Game on Amumu?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Cheap0

08-18-2012

For starters, Amumu's probably going to have inferior farm compared to his teammates, so a big list of expensive items isn't terribly realistic for him. He needs help getting there and needs to make do with less than a lane's farm to be useful.

A good build I use goes like this

Core
Philosopher's Stone
Mercury Treads
Heart of Gold

Full
Mercury Treads
Shurelia's Reverie
Randuin's Omen
Aegis of the Legion
Frozen Heart
Abyssal Sceptre

Not all in that order, but that's a good mix to finish with. In most games, you won't make it that far, so you build those depending on what you need. Philosopher's, Heart of Gold, and Merc Treads are his core, with the rest developed or added on later. Gives him a lot of tankiness with some AP and useful auras so he remains disruptive and can't be completely ignored in team fights.

ViashinoWizard

08-18-2012

Sunfire Cape is just a bad item. It does too little damage, and all you get for combining it besides the passive is 20 HP. Randuin's Omen is a much better Armor+HP item AND it builds out of Heart of Gold, which is a great item for tanky junglers. The active has good synergy with Amumu's kit as well.

Gawthyc

Recruiter

08-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheapo5020 View Post
For starters, Amumu's probably going to have inferior farm compared to his teammates, so a big list of expensive items isn't terribly realistic for him. He needs help getting there and needs to make do with less than a lane's farm to be useful.

A good build I use goes like this

Core
Philosopher's Stone
Mercury Treads
Heart of Gold

Full
Mercury Treads
Shurelia's Reverie
Randuin's Omen
Aegis of the Legion
Frozen Heart
Abyssal Sceptre

Not all in that order, but that's a good mix to finish with. In most games, you won't make it that far, so you build those depending on what you need. Philosopher's, Heart of Gold, and Merc Treads are his core, with the rest developed or added on later. Gives him a lot of tankiness with some AP and useful auras so he remains disruptive and can't be completely ignored in team fights.
Alright, so Sunfire Cape isn't completely necessary then? I always thought it would be really good due to defensive bonuses plus you'll be near the enemy champs a lot, but I'll try this out (and tweak it a bit so I'm not completely copying you).
One thing, though. I have minor problems with Shurelya's because it's active doesn't give me or my allies enough of a boost when escaping or chasing. Also, I'm gonna sound like a noob for saying this, but I've never understood Aegis of the Legion. I always thought its defense boost was low and I don't know how it really benefits teammates.
Help please. :/

Attico

08-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodbath87 View Post
wow your level 30 with 26 wins think need stop playing bots and play real games they much more challenging then bots. i have 476 wins 578 losts in nomal games 276 bot wins and 18 bot losts.

You can lose bot games? Pretty sure I win those 1 v 5..crazy kids!

Attico

08-19-2012

I like Rylais a lot on Amumu as my HP Item. You only really have time to get 1, and I prefer a Frozen heart to Randuin's on him as my Armor item. Rylais and an abyssal are all the AP you need, FH and Mercs and you are pretty tanky. I find this more effective than a pure tank build on Amumu, his damage is a great taunt!
You do die faster, but they tend to focus you more. I like to be focused as the tank.

bob123bob

08-20-2012

Well as an AOE boss, amumu, in my opinion, benefits alot from both Rylais and Sunfire Cape. I also like a frozen heart on my amumu cuz it also has an AOE effect. Flash into a large group of enemies with your tears on and it'll proc ur rylais, frozen heart, and sunfire cape. And as long as you are alive, the cape will do damage. By flashing into a large group of enemies, they'll panic and start to unload all their spells and attacks onto you. Rylais with your tears on will slow the enemies as they try to run away. Frozen heart will affect the AD enemies and you can run and follow them and when things are wrapping up, activate your ult so your team can just blow the enemy up. Or the other way around, flash -> ult and then chase after them, but then often your team cant get in range quick enough to nuke the enemy. So, in my opinion, sunfire cape is good.
But as always, base your build on your opponent. If your opponent is heavy in AP, then maybe you can switch ur cape for a force of nature.
Given a team balanced in AD and AP. I would build -> Philosopher's Stone -> Mercury Treads -> Sunfire Cape -> Abyssal Scepter -> Rylais Scepter -> Frozen Heart. And adapt the order of the last 3 items depending on whether the AP or AD carry becomes stronger quicker

bloodbath87

Recruiter

08-21-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodbath87
wow your level 30 with 26 wins think need stop playing bots and play real games they much more challenging then bots. i have 476 wins 578 losts in nomal games 276 bot wins and 18 bot losts.

If you have that many more losses than wins in normals maybe you need to play more bots =/.

mayb shouldnt be put in teams full feeders and retarts

KaltraX

08-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodbath87 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodbath87

If you have that many more losses than wins in normals maybe you need to play more bots =/.

mayb shouldnt be put in teams full feeders and retarts
Retarts eh?? I think you mean "maybe I was put on teams with feeders and *******." Btw ur engrish is good lol

KaiSong

08-22-2012

Meh for a first account that isnt a smurf, 50~100 or so losses over wins is ok because those account for the initial games to lvl 30 where 1. they probably sucked or 2. they were against smurf teams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaltraX View Post
Retarts eh?? I think you mean "maybe I was put on teams with feeders and *******." Btw ur engrish is good lol
Your attempt to get through the language filter has not succeeded, where his apparently has. Asterisks or the word being misspelled one or the other.

But yeah. On amumu, its highly unlikely youre going to be able to complete a build like that, because of the loss on CS from not being in a lane and the fact that your carries should be attempting to get the kills as most of them, but not quite all of them will use the money more effectively.

And I hope you do realize that laning amu would probably be a horrible idea unless you know your specific matchup + their jungler and how to control your lane, as amumu does massive amounts of AoE damage which will shove the lane uncontrollably at times. His place is in the jungle, away from any friends.

You can build AP amumu. it isnt a troll build, its just that youre going to have to relegate the tanking role to another champion while you build offtank bruiser AP.

On your build:

Your shown build has massive amounts of MR but only a single item with armor, even though you do have a respectable amount of HP and armor from sunfire and various sources of HP, You most likely will not be focused by the AP carry in a real game, simply because wasting cooldowns on a tank is dumb enough already let along one that has massive amounts of MR.

On copying anyones build, its perfectly acceptable, there isnt any reason not to use the same build with multiple champions, if it is the most optimized build it just is the most optimized build.

Regarding Aura items, Realize that sometimes your AP carry will also be carrying an abyssal for survival and damage, ask various members of your team on who is planning to buy what aura item. Most times supports will carry an aegis while the main tanks will carry frozen heart as each is within their price range. If looking for a replacement for abyssal, you can either look to using a will of the ancients, or if you actually needed that MR, you can go force of nature

For optimal teamfighting power, every team should have at the bare minimum, one aegis and a frozen heart, followed by at least one shurelias. Optional auras that are good, in order, are will of the ancients followed by zekes herald and lastly by a locket of the iron solari on the support.

To the question about sunfire cape replacement, It depends on what item youre replacing it with, I would personally replace it with a frozen heart as it is quite simply, the best armor item in the game for teams that dont have one and the champion uses mana.

My personal build is Shoes (Merc/tabi/mobility) Shurelias, Randuins, Frozen heart, Abyssal/force of nature, and then the last item being either.. Rylais/Will of Ancients/Aegis/ Zhonyas/ GA. This ensures that my team has the ability to engage with surelias, Disengage/ commit with randuins, I have the armor from randuin/frosen heart, 40% CDR to spam bandage/tantrum, MR to protect me and the ability to either reposition with Force or Do more damage with abyssal, then the last item lets me either have slows/ benefit my AP carry/ Benefit overall team defense and offense of ADC/ bruisers. Note that attack damage isnt wasted on amumu because you should be auto attacking even if you dont do that much with the attack, your passive increases damage from all sources of magic because it applies a debuff. Zhonyas is only really if I'm ridiculously ahead or the enemy is ridiculously bursty and i have to survive til my team can follow up to a bandage ult. GA is there because overall adds a pseudo chunck of health and it has resistances as well.