Champions better with smart cast?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Elchulus

08-18-2012

I smartcast almost every skill except some ultimates and skills where I have to click on the minimap.

The difference is most noticeable on champions that need to unload all their skills quickly, like mages. Smartcasting Ryze's skills, for example, will make them much faster than not doing so.

TeknoWizard

08-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwellaouen View Post
Oh ! About smartcasting ?

What is the difference please ? I think I can change this battle mode in the options. How it works in comparaison of the other method ? Thank you for this subject. I will love to learn about smartcasting.
He said not to mention LeBlanc, but she's the only one I remember the letters to a combo for, so I'm using her for an example.

Without smart casting, your combo would go something like this:
Q>Left click>R>Left click>W>Left click>E>Left click

With smart casting, you eliminate the clicking. So your combo is just:
Q>R>W>E

It fire skills where ever you have your cursor. It'll screw you up the first 2-3 games you use it, but in the end, I'm happy I switched to smart casting,

Cenerae

08-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwellaouen View Post
Oh ! About smartcasting ?

What is the difference please ? I think I can change this battle mode in the options. How it works in comparaison of the other method ? Thank you for this subject. I will love to learn about smartcasting.
Smarcasting is casting without clicking a target. You press the skill button and it casts at the location/in the direction of of your pointer (if possible - non skillshots still need your cursor to be over a valid target).

Karthus' Q, and Flash, are both smartcasted abilities by default, if that helps for comparison.

StyrTW

08-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapriciousXII View Post
I wouldnt recommend smartcasting on skills that use vector targeting because it will never go the direction you want it to. (Viktor and Rumble)
Smartcasting doesn't "flow" as good with vector targeting compared to line shots/etc but that old problem with vector skills firing randomly with smartcast is a very old problem now. It's been fixed for quite some time - all you have to do is hold the button down, flick your mouse in the direction you want it to go, and it will fire properly.

Before this was implemented, Rumble was a nightmare to play if you used smartcast and basically required you to use normal cast. Thankfully, by the time Viktor came out (or shortly after, I can't remember atm) the problem was solved and smartcasters rejoiced!

Now to speak about about smartcasting with my own experiences - it works great on all champs, but it works especially well for those with skillshots - for instance, Gragas' barrels, Ezreal's mystic shot, any dash/blink spell EVER. The main negative problem due to smartcast is misfiring though. If you push the button when your cursor isn't where you want it to be it will fire regardless and possibly waste the spell. I've seen Taric use dazzle on mobs because the enemy was surrounded by minions and they weren't careful.

On the other hand, one of the major benefits of smartcast is that it can greatly speed up spell comboing by reducing the number of keystrokes required and giving you quicker reaction time. It might only take .4 seconds to heal a target with smartcast instead of .7/.8 since you saved yourself a click. That bit of time might matter, or it might not. Still, if you want to be a good player, smartcast can be one of your best friends. I've been using it for over 2 years and in my opinion it is one of the few things that makes LoL stand out. Whenever I play any game without smartcast it makes me miss League

MemoryLapse

08-19-2012

Is there a mod or add on that will allow you to save different configts for different heroes?

Like maybe I want all 4 skils smart cast when I play Veigar but I want smart cast off completely when I play Garen... is this possible?

Ive been playing league for years but Ive never really practiced smart casting. Whats a good way to learn it? What hero is good when you first start out smart casting?

Ethri

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-19-2012

I think skill-shots should be learned without smart cast, but then be learned with it. The only skills I would suggest keeping off smart cast would be delayed target skills such as Kog'maw "R".

As for champions that are better without smart cast, I would most certainly say Veigar. If you can land his stun 99% of the time without smart cast, it makes you a much more deadly AP assassin.