Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

META game queue system

Yes 4 100%
No 0 0%
Voters 4 .

Idea for match making system

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

D4m10n

08-17-2012

So, I see frequently people complaining (perhaps rightfully) about never getting the role they want to play. Now you can use the argument that people should get use to playing all roles and while I think some experience in each role is important, it shouldn't be absolutely required.

Most pro teams have a designated player for a role, though to consider most of the people to read this thread, including myself, if laugh out loud funny. So with that in mind, and the fact that this has probably been suggested dozens of times....

Why isn't there a system implemented that allows you (if you want) to choose the role you would like to play. Then match you with 4 others that are looking for different roles.

I know that the meta is the game within the game, and adc/support bot - ap mid - bruiser top - jungle isn't always what people want to play, and that's where I see the biggest draw back with this idea. But I think this would get rid of a lot trolls/game rage and negativity in general.

So, who thinks this change would be good, and why? If you don't like the idea, also state why.

CowardlyMan

Recruiter

08-17-2012

it would work with the current meta but it would also force the current meta. what if, for w/e reason, the meta changed or maybe you want to do something unexpected with your game?

D4m10n

08-17-2012

Quote:
CowardlyMan:
it would work with the current meta but it would also force the current meta. what if, for w/e reason, the meta changed or maybe you want to do something unexpected with your game?

Yea, that was one of the problems I was thinking could happen

TCM Killer

08-17-2012

At this point the current meta has been the same for over a year, and is that way because it has been proven that having someone fill each of the roles are ideal for team fighting. I understand your concerns and agree that people like to play and try new things. However that is what regular and draft modes are for. If they simply were to implement this in ranked I imagine 95% of those that play ranked would not mind this. The only other concern would be for high elo players where it sometimes takes 30+ minutes just to find others near them to play with and those are the pro players and they don't mind filling other roles when not playing with their teams. so maybe use the "META game queue system" for any elo up to 2k?

It would at least be a step up from the "calling" roles and having those sometimes higher in picks just ignoring those calls because it's their right for being higher elo.

D4m10n

08-17-2012

Quote:
IllyrianKiller:
At this point the current meta has been the same for over a year, and is that way because it has been proven that having someone fill each of the roles are ideal for team fighting. I understand your concerns and agree that people like to play and try new things. However that is what regular and draft modes are for. If they simply were to implement this in ranked I imagine 95% of those that play ranked would not mind this. The only other concern would be for high elo players where it sometimes takes 30+ minutes just to find others near them to play with and those are the pro players and they don't mind filling other roles when not playing with their teams. so maybe use the "META game queue system" for any elo up to 2k?

It would at least be a step up from the "calling" roles and having those sometimes higher in picks just ignoring those calls because it's their right for being higher elo.

Well, if there was just a check list with each "role" in the meta, and you could check the ones you were willing to play, I think it would work out. While it would have a chance to lengthen the over all queue, it would create parties with an actual team feeling. Because everyone who was put into the game would know that they got in as a role(s) they were willing to fill.

TCM Killer

08-18-2012

I agree

Zelenov

08-18-2012

so, how do you define wich champ will fill the role? how can you try weird things? like azingy's tri lane xD or proplr not raging at you giving up fron the beginig cause they thnk you're a troll? for example i'd use to carry with ad ahri.. also i`ve wached saintvocious jungling with corky in his stream

D4m10n

08-18-2012

Quote:
Zelenov:
so, how do you define wich champ will fill the role? how can you try weird things? like azingy's tri lane xD or proplr not raging at you giving up fron the beginig cause they thnk you're a troll? for example i'd use to carry with ad ahri.. also i`ve wached saintvocious jungling with corky in his stream

I understand that some players like to try oddball things, and there's really no fair way to limit the creativity of other players when they want to try an oddball champ in a meta role.

With that said, my idea on meta positions to fill is just that, the position. You're saying "Hey, I want to play top lane" that doesn't close off any champs to you, it could have "suggested" champs, for people newer to that position, but no forced champs.

You could take it one step further and have the "suggest champs" evolve with data from websites like lolking. Have it pick up on the top 5 champs picked every other week and put those as the suggested. So you don't end up with people knew to the lane picking weird champs just because they don't know what they're suppose to choose.

chrisluissanc

08-18-2012

Quote:
D4m10n:
Well, if there was just a check list with each "role" in the meta, and you could check the ones you were willing to play, I think it would work out. While it would have a chance to lengthen the over all queue, it would create parties with an actual team feeling. Because everyone who was put into the game would know that they got in as a role(s) they were willing to fill.

problem most ppl auto lock carryies and support and tank roles are ignored occasionaly.

some roles may never have some 1 queueing for them

D4m10n

08-18-2012

Quote:
chrisluissanc:
problem most ppl auto lock carryies and support and tank roles are ignored occasionaly.

some roles may never have some 1 queueing for them

It's a diamond in the rough, it's not a system that would spawn and suddenly make everything fall perfectly into place. The idea would be simple (and maybe other people at a later date could come up with methods of making it even stronger)

AD Carry:
Support:
Mid:
Top:
Jungle:

I don't see how you could push for role requirements like having tanks or "initiators" without removing too much of the freedom that the game allows. As it sits right now though, there is a meta, from my understanding it has remained unchanged for a long time, perhaps it never will truly change. (Aside from the occasional lane swaps that people do to deny an enemy team's top lane CS)

This isn't a perfect solution, but it's something that could bring more synergy to a team because everyone gets off on the right foot, getting to play the lane that they want to play. The focus of this system is to reduce the friction and atrocity of players not getting the role they want to play.