Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

How to win.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

StretchyStretch

09-23-2010

The sad thing about this post is that almost no one who needs to see it will.

Two things I would add are:
1. If you die in lane, change your habits. Yi cannot be aggressive in lane and if you die once, don't keep doing the same thing.

2. If the enemy has a jungler, you shouldn't be pushing your lane to their tower when both enemies are alive. The jungler will come to gank and you will have to run all the back to your tower with three people on your tail. Also, if they have a jungler, put a ward in the river.

Greyford Godlike

09-23-2010

Quote:
StretchyStretch:
The sad thing about this post is that almost no one who needs to see it will.

True.

Quote:
StretchyStretch:
Two things I would add are:
1. If you die in lane, change your habits. Yi cannot be aggressive in lane and if you die once, don't keep doing the same thing.

Quote:
#5 If you die once, stay calm and try to take it easy, if you rage you will die again, and again and be out the game really fast.

Quote:
StretchyStretch:
2. If the enemy has a jungler, you shouldn't be pushing your lane to their tower when both enemies are alive. The jungler will come to gank and you will have to run all the back to your tower with three people on your tail. Also, if they have a jungler, put a ward in the river.

Quote:
#2 Ward and scout if enemies have a jungler.

NewGeneration

09-23-2010

pretty good read, +1.

Camen Sieder

09-23-2010

Quote:
#2 Think as a teamplayer, pick claivoyance/ fortify/ heal/ clarity/ exhaust if you do not absolutly need your 2nd summoner spell slot.

I liek this one! I started playing gragas a while ago on 3's and picked up clairvoyance on him. I can't count the amount of times I opened up a bush that a teammate was about to facecheck and saved their life and a coupel times even saved a couple wins from being swiped out from under us

Greyford Godlike

09-23-2010

Quote:
XxKillMeFirstxX:
I liek this one! I started playing gragas a while ago on 3's and picked up clairvoyance on him. I can't count the amount of times I opened up a bush that a teammate was about to facecheck and saved their life and a coupel times even saved a couple wins from being swiped out from under us

True, same goes for me on Zilean

Greyford Godlike

09-23-2010

bump.

Greyford Godlike

09-24-2010

bump.

Sir Cowdog

09-24-2010

Quote:
Greyford Godlike:
I have summed up some "rules" which might help you to stand a chance to win.

This might be interesting for newbies mainly, but never the less there are so many people played hundreds of games and still didn't get the basic principle.

I don't want to put myself as "THE ONE" or something, but in my opinion these points are the key for having the "victory screen".

General

#1 Use common sense. Try to take an initiative if there is one.

#2 Do not chase through whole map, try to avoid traps.

#3 Try to value situations.

#4 Try to keep your enemies' summoner spells in mind.

#5 Do not be a statjunkie! Having 0 deaths does not make you special or pro, it just shows that either your enemies were total noobs or you stood back all the time letting your team 4v5.

#6 If you are not full premade, communicate with your team via pinging:
• ping when you are up for a gank
• ping if you think a teammate could be in danger
• ping the carry(s) if you see that your team does not focus those themselves
Also try to involve your "random" teammates, when you premade as 2/3/4, this is a 5v5 game not, 2+3v4+1 or something like that.

Team Setup

#1 A team needs a balanced setup, mostly the core goes with 1tank 1support 1magical dd 1physical dd.

#2 Think as a teamplayer, pick claivoyance/ fortify/ heal/ clarity/ exhaust if you do not absolutly need your 2nd summoner spell slot.

#3 A team needs a healthy amount of stuns (~2)

Map Awareness

#1 Everybody needs(!) to buy wards, but tanks and supporters should buy the major part, they are less dependent on items and it's more healthy for the team, if your damage dealers have more money to invest in items.
Drake often needs a purple ward, especially in earlygame, if there isn't an enemy ward for 2-3 times, a green suffices. Same goes for baron from midgame. (check this post (http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?p=2946361#post2946361) for further details)

#2 Ward and scout if enemies have a jungler.

#3 Teamplay is most important, if someone pings or needs help, leave your lane immediately and go there to help out, don't finish the creepwave and let your teammate die.

#4 Always have an eye on the minimap.

#5 Have an eye on warded spots and ping if an enemy crosses there, just to alert your team.

#6 Add champion name in your misscall, like "miss ashe".
If you just write "miss", people need to check which champion you play, on which lane you are and which champion(s) lane against you to guess who misses.

Jungling

#1 Do drake everytime there is the possibility. Same goes for buffs.

#2 Do not do buffs if you port back afterwards, offer them to someone else, even if they need it less than you.
Untill you are back in battle the buff is half exhausted already.

#3 You won a clash, pushed a tower and have some time left afterwards, steal their buffs!

#4 When you see that enemy team is spread, e.g. two pushing bot, maybe even one dead, then go for baron. Many people overestimate the amount of time they need for baron doing him with 5, and underestimate how gamebreaking the buff itself is.

Do your job!

#1 Tanks need to lead the group and open the fight, ccing the hardest(most fed) dd.

#2 If you are grouped all together and everybody has acceptable hp/mana and an enemy appears somewhere at the other end of the map, your tank needs to open this 4v5!
#3 Do not use saving Ultis like Zilean, Kayle, Shen on tanks. Save them for your dds!

#4 Do not focus tanks or chase supporters, always go straight for the dds.

#5 Always control your mana, do not use that much that you don't have enough left for your ultimate or other important skills.

#6 Pick Smite as jungler, there are some champions which can jungle without smite and smite loses effectivness from midgame on, but you need it to jungle faster, steal buffs, end buffs, end drake,..

#7 Do not push, if you could(!) be needed somewhere else. This especially goes for tanks and supporters, they need that long to push just one creepwave and that's not worth having a 4v5 somewhere. Of course, especially in midgame, a 4v5 def can work out, but then you should let a DD push, and not a tank or supporter.

#8 Try to give kills to your damage dealers, if it's a save kill stop attacking when the enemy is low on HP.

Have a good start

#1 Pick flat hp quints to be halfway tough against harassment, if you play a range champion like Ashe, Annie,.. you can also pick apen, mpen, ap quints, but you need to play very carefully.

#2 Buy a doran's item or ruby crystal first, especially if you do not have hp runes. There are some champions e.g. Tryndamere which rather go for nonhp items, but for most champions a doran's is best to start with.

#3 Use manareg/5 instead of ap, you can use your skills more often for creeping, means you have more gold, means you can buy ap and probably reach the same amount as with ap runes.

#4 Don't underestimate your enemies and creepdamage, if you chase someone on level 3 creeps will drain you like 200hp.

#5 If you die once, stay calm and try to take it easy, if you rage you will die again, and again and be out the game really fast.

#6 If your lane setup allows it, outlevel your enemies by forcing them to towerhug by harassing them hardly. Stand between them and their creeps, only lasthit their creeps, so they will be outleveled and hardly outfarmed.

I will probably add some more over the time.
Feel free to suggest some new ones on your own or to discuss about mine.

Peace.

*I might bump this often, not to get attention, but to make people read this and improve their play.

TL : DR version: Stop tower diving at level 1, you **** noob!

Greyford Godlike

09-24-2010

Quote:
Sir Cowdog:
TL : DR version: Stop tower diving at level 1, you **** noob!

If it was that easy..

GNOY

09-24-2010

Mastering queue-dodge is also a good option :P