SPOILERS Syndra's lore is awesome

123456 ... 7
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Frostywolf

08-17-2012

i like sbeet's idea i think it would be cool for them to add something like that into her lore, give's her more of a reason for joining the league

webbut

08-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by belthazor3457 View Post
^ these are some valid criticisms. Were I in her position, my next move would not be to join the league of legends. Being a champion in that case is nothing more than an exercise to work out the skills - but the thing is, you're working them out and exercising them on a field that goes out of its ways to restrict people's abilities to "balance" them (this is the lore reason behind buffs and nerfs).
I haven't seen anything lore wise to support the claim that The League restricts people's abilities on the fields of justice. Almost all champion's who might be over powered have some sort of restriction placed on them in their background so the league doesn't have to.

Sykper

08-17-2012

Don't visit this forum often, but I have to say, I don't exactly think Syndra's Lore came out exactly as I hoped...I thought there was too much potential wasted, maybe the whole "Kassadin's Daughter" hype made the lore shift, just to surprise us or something. But control over Gravity, manipulation of Orbs, etc. really seems more Voidish to me. I digress, I mainly wanted to just post my thoughts on the actual Lore:

"Power belongs to those who can wield it." – Syndra
*This is a decent quote, emphasizes the idea that those who want more power must be capable to obtain it first and control it, considering her own power over gravity, this quote becomes a bit more relevant to herself.*

Born with immense magical potential, Syndra loves nothing more than exercising the incredible power at her command. With each passing day, her mastery of magical force grows more potent and devastating. Refusing any notion of balance or restraint, Syndra wants only to retain control of her power, even if it means annihilating the authorities that seek to stop her.
*Comes off as a sort of rebel who believes as long as she seeks power and can control it, she can do whatever she wants with it. Even if it is not amusing others…like the authorities.*

Throughout her youth in Ionia, Syndra's reckless use of magic terrified the elders of her village. They took her to a remote temple, leaving her in the care of an old mage. To Syndra's delight, the mage explained that the temple was a school -- a place where she could develop her talents under his guidance.
*I am assuming she eventually consented to going to a temple to rehabilitate? Why? She had no motive to listen to the elders, and I doubt she would move willingly…but I guess if you want to stretch it, she was probably just humoring them until she found out it was a school, she could have just as easily blown it off until someone told her the temple was a school.*

Though she learned much during her time there, Syndra no longer felt her power growing as it had in her youth. Her frustration grew, and she finally confronted her mentor, demanding an explanation. He revealed that he had dampened Syndra's magic, hoping to help her learn control and restraint.
*Uh, throwing it out there, why keep it a secret Mr. Teacher? Just tell her you will be dampening her magic so she can control some of it at a time, instead of hiding it and making the confrontation. Mages always want to make things complicated. -> Just wanted to humor myself with this.*

Accusing him of betrayal, she advanced on the mage, commanding him to lift the spell that was holding her back. He backed away, telling her that if she couldn't control herself, he would be forced to nullify Syndra's magic completely.
*I vote we put the mage into the League, he can nullify magic of that magnitude, it is like a perma-silence to casters everywhere! Also, again, Mage, you shouldn’t make it confrontational…*

Furious, she summoned her power and dashed the old man against the walls. With her mentor dead, Syndra felt the rush of her unbounded potential for the first time in years.
*All hopes of Old Mage coming into league gone, darn.*

Though she had won her freedom, she refused to return to the society that had tried to steal her gift. Instead, Syndra decided to claim her former prison as a stronghold. Pushing the boundaries of her magic, she tore the structure from its foundations and raised it into the sky.
*The ONLY cool part of the Lore is when she makes a floating domain…GP got nothing on flying prisons!*

Free to delve further into her art, Syndra now aims to grow powerful enough to destroy the weak, foolish leaders of Ionia -- and anyone else who would dare shackle her greatness.
*My biggest criticism is the fact that really, she is probably the LEAST likely person to join the League. Why would someone who would go so far as to kill her mentor to win back her limitless potential, make a flying flipping prison and want to expand her powers more, only to be brought down to Champion status like many other League Champions.

Her Lore makes her power sounds tremendously too strong for the League, and hypothetically, if she joined she would have her powers, yet again limited. But doesn’t that seem contrary to what she wants, no restraint? She is similar to Xerath in a way, except Xerath wants his chains broken by utilizing the League, ‘This’ Syndra has no motive to join at all, why not just grow her powers in her flying castle?*

I don't mind it, it is an average lore...maybe the Hype got me as well and I am being biased, but it just seems like Syndra wouldn't exactly like going to the League, maybe a Judgement will help answer some questions her background should have gotten to, and again, she isn't coming out for some time so there is room for change.

Mighty Lore Reds, please don't hate me for going a bit far, I was just taken a bit back by this lore only, it is awfully too similar to Xerath, and it gets hard coming up with new plots that won't conflict with old champion lore...

belthazor3457

08-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by webbut View Post
I haven't seen anything lore wise to support the claim that The League restricts people's abilities on the fields of justice. Almost all champion's who might be over powered have some sort of restriction placed on them in their background so the league doesn't have to.
Nerfs and buffs are confirmed in Jax's lore.

Hollywood Cool

08-17-2012

I like how there's very little lore nowadays explaining why these champions are joining the League, or even if they joined the League. As a matter of fact, as they change the lore they omit the League entirely from it, like Kat's lore. It's just really weird that the League of Legends is the core, the premise upon which this game's lore revolves around and Riot's kinda just ignoring it entirely. It's like if Star Wars started ignoring the Galactic Civil War by the second half of the second movie.

Steam Store

08-17-2012

The lore was ok but nothing really exciting.

webbut

08-17-2012

Quote:
Jax's lore only confirms Nerfs and it states that Jax was the 1st and last one to ever have one.

Quiksilvur

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-17-2012

Quote:
I'm actually pretty sure that was a unique thing; Jax's limitations are a key part of him, and seem to be emphasized to be a situation he alone was in.

From a logical stand point, I don't actually believe balancing with nerfs and buffs is addressed in lore. What's the point of selecting the best warriors from your nation if their just going to be brought up or down to the same level as the others? The Institute is here to make sure that war doesn't ravage Runeterra; that doesn't mean things are supposed to be balanced. Each champion must work to keep up with their peers, and the weak, such as the original Orianna or Urf (whom I understand was a joke but is a valid example) are killed in the process.

Basically, the Institute does not manage the power levels of champions unless within certain circumstances, unless their is something I missed or misread. Brand is given a leash on account of his ability to take over bodies as a fire elemental. Nocturne is restrained because of the nature of his potent abilities and the danger it possessed. Kog'maw and Cho'gath are actually left to their full power on the Rift, only kept in captivity outside it. Jax was limited because of the sheer one-sidedness he made EVERYTHING, however I think the notability of it in his lore means that "nerfs" aren't a common occurence.

Whoops, off-topic once more. On Syndra, what I find interesting is that really, she's a brat. Interestingly enough, most champions, despite various glaring personality flaws, are mature with how they handle things. Even Nunu, a very young boy, is working towards the recognition and acceptance of Yetis as an anbassador. Annie may seem childish and playful, but noting that both her parents are wise, powerful, and intelligent mages (noteworthy of their own Champion-esque titles) she probably knows when to rein things in, and most likely knows of the political nature of the exiled colony she calls home. (She may be fighting for recognition for it, or something. Her lore doesn't quite make it clear WHY she's there, but Riot's explained how why that may be, even if her lore is old and unadjusted). Syndra, on the other hand... Is a total brat. As soon as her power is limited, she throws a fit and misuses her abilities. She doesn't care for anything else. She doesn't feel like anything else is real. Her sole motive is "I want MOAR NOW, NOW, NOW!" Power hungry and completely against restraint and control of any kind, she is an example of a champion who LACKS the emotional maturity for her powers. Very interesting, indeed...

Para

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-17-2012

It's very possible that in order to grow your power, you need to test it against those who may be more powerful than you. No pain, no gain.

I love the fact that she's from Ionia. It reaffirms my love for female Ionian champions.

ThorRush

08-17-2012

About the League's control over champions, I'd say Quiksilvur is right. Shurelia explained how most nerfs and buffs come from the champion. http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...28#post6418028 (thanks Sylph) Even Jax's lamppost was a self imposed "nerf" (he kept winning, it just stopped the League from declaring him OP).

Well, we have a good number of insane or differently wired champions in the League, one more couldn't hurt. Syndra sounds kind of psychopathic, which makes sense if she's going to be throwing creatures around. Too bad Ionia had to lie to her.

In order to get her revenge, she's going to need to crush Ionia. Ionia's strongest fighters are in the League.

Void champions ... Kass's daughter and Kog'maw's daddy are waiting somewhere.

123456 ... 7