LoL the sad truth..

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Akedomo

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-14-2010

After playing many RTS/MOBA games like DotA, Heroes of Newerth, Command and Conquer, Starcraft, Bloodline Champions, and many more I've come to a realization about League of Legends. It's failing miserably in the update area's. I don't believe the game was ready to come out of Beta phase so soon. It's a good game don't get me wrong on that part. But it's still lacking the simple functions that many other games out there have implemented at day one of retail.

Things like Replays, Proper balancing. There are even games coming out recently(within the last year) that have included a Video recorder that allows you to record gameplay without the use of a third party program. VoIP as well is something that needs to be looked at, there are so many games out there that are being released with built in VoIP. As well as more gamemodes, Hell DotA is a warcraft 3 mod that's more than 4 years old and it still has more game modes than LoL, HoN at release had even more(HoN even has a Dev mode which allows you to test heroes before their implementation into the normal game which is something I think LoL would greatly benefit from instead of just having a test realm for a very very limited number of players) . One of the most important though is leaver protection. People should be able to play this game without having to worry about losing a teammate for good every game.

LoL I understand is more for casual players, being free to play of course, but I don't believe this justifies having sloppy programming. Adobe Air for one is one of the worst programs I've ever had installed on this PC. It's slow, Uses up a large amount of system resources for doing absolutely nothing. The game itself when loading takes longer than Crysis does on my PC, And considering that I have a Core I7 comp, that's saying alot... Simple problems like having weird items displayed in your inventory after reconnecting from a DC, Have not been fixed yet. In-game Friends chat has been forgotten about since the release of Season 1.

The final problem, One of the most complained about in this game is Matchmaking. I don't care how you try to justify it. I don't care if you don't have a problem with it personally, the fact is, thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of players are having issues with it, Being stuck in Low Elo hell. With constant leavers, and feeders, And have no chance of regaining their rating without a change to the matchmaking system.

This isn't simply a rage thread as you might think, it's pointing out flaws that LoL has, that haven't been fixed yet, even though this game has been out for a year now. I myself expect more from this game than it's currently giving. I know many other's out there do as well. Especially paying customers. We want LoL to become one of the greatest games of it's genre.

TL;DR I'm not including a TL;DR simply because reading the above post would take 2-3 mins of your time. And if you can't spare that you need to stop trollin the threads

EDIT:
A RTS is a game that involves real time strategy, It can be controlling a single unit, or multiple units. LoL is by no means a base building RTS, but it does involve gathering resources and upgrading your unit so you can eliminate the enemy. LoL may also be refered to as a MOBA, Massive Online Battle Arena. There is however still no part of the game that does not involve real time game play and strategy between you and your teammates.

http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionar...+Time+Strategy

Bainemo

09-14-2010

LoL is not an RTS. You might as well compare it to Super Mario Bros.

Also, LoL is free whereas HoN is not. HoN has more funding, HoN has more features. DotA is significantly older than LoL. DotA has more time, DotA has more features.

Akedomo

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-14-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bainemo View Post
LoL is not an RTS. You might as well compare it to Super Mario Bros.
Explain to me what part of this game is not strategy, or played in real time? that is what RTS stands for mind you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bainemo View Post
Also, LoL is free whereas HoN is not. HoN has more funding, HoN has more features. DotA is significantly older than LoL. DotA has more time, DotA has more features.
HoN has a much smaller playerbase than LoL, It also does not have more funding as you may think, simply because LoL charges for heroes and skins, as well as extra's like IP boosts/runepages. If anything these two are equal on income. Regardless how you look at it, HoN had most of these features implemented in Beta, They did not have funding coming in at that time.

DotA is also Older, but the game itself has had things like this implemented for years now. They were not recently upgraded in the last year, they've been this way for 4+ years.

Hammerings

09-14-2010

1) Command&Conquer and Starcraft are RTS and can't be compare with LOL, DOTA, HON because those are some kind of RPG not RTS. (you fail just because you compare those 2 gender, how can you compare an RTS with bases, allot of units etc with an RPG with only one hero?)
2) Alot of people here prefer LOL over HON so is just a meter of opinion and taste, leaving aside one is free and one is with money, if all where free I still like more LOL then HON because game style, graphic and all are more like my taste. And DOTA is hmm just a grandfather of those two.

Perennial

09-14-2010

no TLDR no upvote ^^

PacoTferret

09-14-2010

The only issues i have with LoL is with every patch some thing new breaks,

Last patch we got Lag issues, Chat server issues, disconnection issues, and graphic errors yes i've seen the postings about how they are updating and what not.. but still it brings the game play value down when you can't enjoy it as much.

Abedeus

09-14-2010

LoL, HoN or DotA are not RTS games. You do not manage buildings/units, you don't control anything but one champion.

ArcherU

09-14-2010

HoN is bland and boring.

League of Legends did a lot in the way of refreshing the DoTa genre without loosing it's appeal. HoN did nothing in the way of improving gameplay or anything except the graphics and a few features.

So what's going to convince me to play HoN instead of LoL? A slightly bigger server uptime? Supposed improved matchmaking? What does that even mean? That' I won't loose anymore? In my mind I win and loose in LoL as much as someone on my level should, nobody wins all the time.

This isn't a business transaction man, people are looking to have fun and this game is the most fun. LoL is getting better and better, constantly seeing to the needs of the player, so big deal if you can't have everything in a second, that doesn't make it unprofessional, Riot never promised EVERYTHING IMMEDIATELY.

So yeah thanks for pointing out the flaws (not like we heard them like a million times before), I'm sorry you didn't get everything you expected.

FYI: LoL IS the best game of it's genre, if you disagree why would you be here? Why not go play that game that IS the best one? Why are you favoritizing LoL? Could it be that LoL has something HoN and the others don't?

Think about it... maybe you'll realize LoL also has advantages not just flaws.

PlasmaChroma

09-14-2010

Post does rub a little trollish but some good points there.

* All gaming communities have players who are intolerable in them. This failing is not unique to LoL in any way so the fact you have a problem with some players is expected. This is something you are not going to get away from, it's a fact of the internet.

* The only matchmaking systems I've seen work even relatively well have been when seen with 1v1 pairings. I've never really had a multi-vs-multi matchmaking system I could say I was satisfied with ever. And although base War3 had it, being a custom map DotA doesn't even have matchmaking at all if you are just making public games on b.net. I've found the matchmaking in Starcraft II to mostly be a joke, my Bronze 3v3 team was regularly getting matched against Diamond teams, which was absolutely ridiculous. The wild variance on SC2's matchmaking was a bit of a joke while I was playing it.

* If you think HoN or DotA is more balanced than LoL I don't even know what to say to you. Since HoN started off as mostly a carbon-copy of DotA it has a lot of the same problems. I find everything in LoL to be a bit more level-headed and the abilities don't go quite so much over the top. Durations on the really powerful stuff is kept low enough to stay mostly playable. Stun-locking is far less common compared to the other MOBA games. I'd say some work needs to be done when introducing new champions, but I'm honestly beginning to think that is some covert way of increasing sales. And practical caster scalability is far better in LoL, whereas in DotA and HoN casters feel ridiculous at the start and total lightweights by the end.

* Adobe and Flash sucks overall, no point to be had there. This is probably just so junior programmers or interns can be used for the stuff the senior staff doesn't have time for. Out of game interface needs a lot of work.

* Loading time is a bit of an issue, my i7 loads it fairly quick, it's just everyone else load times I have a problem with. Running a bit of a ridiculous setup though. Merging the entire game into a single client would probably allow more pre-caching but impractical without more senior programmers.

* Biggest point for me though is the other games just are not as fun. Plain and simple. Not sure I can point to exactly what does it for me on the whole, but if you can't get that one right, then no amount of technical execution matters. That's what LoL has going for me at least. Yes it fails on execution in several ways but it's still pulling me in more than all the other more technically sound offerings.