Tips before I start ranked

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Xesante

08-17-2012

Alright, thanks man. I just started my second, duoing with a friend who's played ranked a lot and is pretty good. Let's see how this goes. Jungling shyvana again, he's adc.

Xesante

08-17-2012

We ended up winning, 10-4-10 for me, jungle shyvana again. We had a corki and janna, vs sona and varus. Their jungle was Jarvan, top was Tryndamere versus our Renekton (He was beast). Mid we had anivia vs kassadin. We made kassadin's life miserable, lol. Fun game, pretty much a stomp. I'm liking this so far, but I fear things will show their true face soon, haha.

Xesante

08-17-2012

by the way, thanks kingp1ng, I appreciate your post! Really informative.

KaiSong

08-17-2012

Honestly Kingp1ngs statement about never playing support is incorrect. You can carry games with support, its not that hard to. If you can force dragon control early, over the enemy team with pinks/oracles and manage to keep it each dragon you help secure is the equivalent of roughly 3 kills worth of gold to your team. What you shouldn't do however, is play a support not suited to what your ADC is able to do. Its called synergy, If you cant get it with your bot lane you're going to be screwed.
Also in soloque, passive supports arent the way to go, raka may be incredibly annoying and reliable for a farm lane but if you cant coordinate ults and your bot lane cant farm, youre not going to be able to carry. Leona, Alistar (if you can get him), Blitz, lulu are all really good picks for agressive supports.
Say you have ashe, dont ****ing pick blitzcrank. You'll have the hardest time getting a kill even if you do manage to get a pull because of ashe's inability to burst/dps anything.

I have several friends that have gotten ratings between 1400~1800 only playing support in ranked.

That being said I think the best support players also play jungle and mid. simply because they know when lanes break for mid and when jungle is about to come murder your face.

For jungle times, theres an easy way to just do this by enabling timestamps on your chat log via the options. It will give you a timer on every dragon and every baron kill so long as your team has vision on it when it dies. the rest of the camps you can type in TB TR OR OB or whatever you feel like is appropriate or what you can understand.

Rephrase

08-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingp1ng View Post
Try never to play support if you can. [B][U]At beginner ranked, you want to try to carry yourself to victory.
Bottom lane is easily one of (if not the most) important lanes in the game, because there are two champions there. Winning bottom means 2 champions are ahead instead of just one being ahead. As a support, you can very easily "carry" your bottom lane. Gauge your AD's playstyle and match it. Ward effectively. A skilled support may not be getting the kills, but you can "carry" bottom, which in turn can "carry" the game.

The other reason to play support is that often, this will be your other teamates' weakest role, or the one that no one wants to play. Instead of having someone play support poorly, I opt to do it myself and do it well.

Jesot

08-17-2012

I fully intend on playing support in ranked. I've won a lot of games sure to playing a strong support in normals.

Xesante

08-17-2012

Well, that all makes sense too! I guess I'd better learn to play support a bit better before I continue on, just in case. I'm better with more aggressive supports like alistar and blitzcrank, though. Thanks by the way, for the timestamps thing!

Xesante

08-18-2012

Okay; I lost one because basically we had a terrible team comp, but that's okay. Next game was a like.. ARAM basically xD. The whole enemy team was doing 5 man ganks and took out 3 towers, but then we got it together and forced teamfights (auto win). Then our udyr got smart and grabbed ionic spark and split pushed while we forced winnable 4v5 fights, and eventually we won!

10-2-28 Draven