Tips before I start ranked

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Xesante

08-16-2012

I've kind of been edging this out, but I want to start ranked now, I think as long as I'm in a good mood before I start, I can do well. I have a few questions before I start, and would like any general advice you can give as well, if possible. Thanks in advance!

Questions;

1. How often are people likely to *Want* to play support? (I can do this role relatively well [Janna, Nunu, Alistar, Soraka], but it's not my best)

2. How likely am I to be playing with other first time ranked players? (As opposed to people that are simply at 1200-ish elo)

3. Is it.. "safer" to Duo Queue for the first 10 games? (Obviously this depends on the person, but in your experience, what are the chances that you will come across people that are at least able to communicate [random people, I mean]? I don't often have trouble with people getting angry, I find myself able to dissolve these situations relatively well)

4. In the 1200 elo range, do people call jungle times? Also, if you feel like you're going to do well, is jungler an optimal role to play just in case your team members don't do the best, so as to help their lane, or would Mid lane be a better choice?

5. How well do people counter-pick in ranked (again, at this "average" elo)? I've noticed people barely even bother in normal draft* games, nor do they try to make support first pick via trades (so the others don't get counter picked).

I'll probably have more questions later, but that's all for now. Also, if you'd like to play my first couple ranked games with me I'd be glad to have some support >.<, to be honest my best friends (that I communicate over skype with) aren't exactly prepared at all, though I'm trying to get them to that point. They tend to be argumentative though, which I don't want (As that seems to be a major problem in ranked).

Oh, one final thing... Should I even bother having all-chat on? I try to be friendly with the enemy team, but often there are people who wish to start fights for enjoyment, which is simply a distraction. That said, I've friended many-a-skilled players on the enemy team through friendly communication with them throughout the game.

Thanks again guys, sorry if that was a lot of questions, but I appreciate it!

iDpark

08-16-2012

1. Never when you start out. If you think the Ad is decent and if you're a good support, you'll probably win lane.

2.A couple. Depends. and don't worry about it , you have no control over it whatsoever.

3. It really doesn't matter. Don't feel forced to duo with someone else. it doesn't make a big difference like it used to.

4. In my experience, no. But it won't hurt.

5. Some understand counter picking. Too lazy. Not enough or not skilled with a variety of champs.
Others don't understand and say: Top or feed.
Some understand and try to work around that one guy on your team.
(He's never good)

I turn all chat on. I have the self-control to ignore ragers on the other team, or to laugh at them. I don't have the self-control to stop playing League of Legends.

Do be decent with 3-4 champs in each role. To counter if possible, and there are overlapping champs of course.

Good luck.

Duhizy

08-16-2012

just keep this in mind YOU WILL GET RAPED but YOU WILL IMPROVE. Just about everyone that iv met that started playing ranked got into elo hell somehow but after about 100 game they all sit pretty gold elo+. Thats the best advice i can give, you will do your time most likely and you will learn a lot about your flaws as well as how to carry a team, ALWAYS CRITICISE YOURSELF, did your bot lane feed 12 kills at 10 min? idgaf, when the games over rewatch the replay and write down what you could have done better and fix it for the next game, did you do everything right? Perfect, that means you just played the best game in your life and you will remain at that elo forever because you can never play better then perfect.

Now if your smart and you waited a long time and gained experience before starting ranked then maybe you wont get into a low elo but always remember YOU CANT INFLUENCE HOW BAD YOUR TEAMMATES ARE all you can do is improve your skills and lead your team to victory whether that be by getting fed and carrying every game or just making the right calls, find what you could have done better and fix it or find a better player and ask him what you did wrong because if you lost than you 100 percent could have played better.

Essieu

08-17-2012

1. Not often. Most of the time its players like you. Who are okay with playing support, but maybe not awesome at it. I will say though, I play a lot of support and while it can be frustrating, a good support can carry games so hard. WARDS WIN GAMES.

2.I'd say pretty likely. But im also considering people who are new to ranked as having less than 50 wins. Regardless of experience some people are just bad, and some people are just good. Games go either way regardless.

3. I personally LIKE to duo, but have no problem solo queing. Duo que-ing with a jungler can help you snowball your lane well. But I would base duo queing off of how good your friends are. My rule is to not duo with anyone more than 100 elo above or below me. Basically, if you trust your friend to carry you if your not having the best game, duo with them.

4. Some people keep timers some people dont. Best way to do it, KEEP THEM YOURSELF. Also, Jungle and Mid are easiest to snowball the game with. Mid is easier to learn, but jungle in my opinion is much more rewarding and fun.

5. Honestly, unless something is an insanely hard counter normally its not that big of a deal. At this level people have very limited champion pools and i wouldnt bother messing around with counters to much. Even at 15k counters dont normally determine who wins games.

I like having all chat on, sometimes enemies are dumb and will give info away. Like if you go to gank a lane through a certain way. and they say. "Go away" You know its warded there. Also its easy to ignore idiots in chat.

Final Words of advice.

Have at least 4 champs you have a good knowledge of mechanics their numbers, and some good experience on them.
Have a good mentality. Know that solo que is called SOLO que for a reason. Its about you, and you growing. If a team feeds beyond all reason, except it and move on.
To avoid plummeting in ELO have a game limit, where if you lose 'x' number of games you stop. My limit is 2 because I hate losing.

Good luck.

Etherimp

08-17-2012

1. How often are people likely to *Want* to play support? (I can do this role relatively well [Janna, Nunu, Alistar, Soraka], but it's not my best)

Not too often.

2. How likely am I to be playing with other first time ranked players? (As opposed to people that are simply at 1200-ish elo)

Pretty likely. But those players could have anywhere between 150-1000+ normal wins.

3. Is it.. "safer" to Duo Queue for the first 10 games? (Obviously this depends on the person, but in your experience, what are the chances that you will come across people that are at least able to communicate [random people, I mean]? I don't often have trouble with people getting angry, I find myself able to dissolve these situations relatively well)

Not really.

4. In the 1200 elo range, do people call jungle times? Also, if you feel like you're going to do well, is jungler an optimal role to play just in case your team members don't do the best, so as to help their lane, or would Mid lane be a better choice?

No and yes. (2 pat question). Most people don't call jungle times. Jungler is a great role to play. Junglers and Mid lane carry early game, so you can set your team up for victory by playing Mid/Jungle. That said, if you're really good Bot or Top lane, you can help your team recover from a bad early game by owning up mid->late game. It's just an uphill battle at that point.

5. How well do people counter-pick in ranked (again, at this "average" elo)? I've noticed people barely even bother in normal draft* games, nor do they try to make support first pick via trades (so the others don't get counter picked).

Not very well. Sometimes people will counter-pick themselves, other times they will counter-pick you whether they realize they're doing it or not. This is one of those things where you should do your best to NOT get counter picked and everything will be okay.

Oh, one final thing... Should I even bother having all-chat on? I try to be friendly with the enemy team, but often there are people who wish to start fights for enjoyment, which is simply a distraction. That said, I've friended many-a-skilled players on the enemy team through friendly communication with them throughout the game.

Don't bother. However, after my team wins (assuming we win), I will often message one of the players on my team and thank them for contributing to a good game.

Xesante

08-17-2012

Thanks a ton for the information everyone, I really appreciate it, and all of it has been helpful. I'm thinking stalling it out isn't the best idea, so since I think I'm ready, I'm going to go right in. Also if I lose 2, I'll stop for a day and go back to normal as one of you said, that sounds reasonable to me, I don't want to fall into a losing slump :P. I'll post my progress through here, thanks again guys.

Xesante

08-17-2012

Just started champ select, I'm jungling Shyvana, lux mid, amumu top, soraka and ashe bot. Everyone seems to be in their first ranked as well >.< Here goes!

Squalleke123

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-17-2012

I personally don't like to play support in ranked. If things go bad, you have almost no influence in the game anymore. As janna, for example, you can only reset a bad teamfight every once in a while so it'll just draw out the game, not winning it if for example your adc keeps getting caught.

Duo'ing can be nice if you know you can trust your partner and if you have means of direct communication. (skype, teamspeak, being in the same room, ...). In other cases it just gives u 25% less chance to find a complete ****** in ur team.

counterpicks are done at 1200, but mostly everyone just wants his champion ASAP, so it's very rare

I hope I was able to help u with this

Xesante

08-17-2012

Well I had a long breakdown of the game, but it got erased as I was typing (the page reloaded D:

*******So here's a screenshot of the endgame********

Ashe carried superhard after I helped her snowball (when she got i.edge)
Our lux was very new it seemed, and hadn't' played much in general. I told her that her ult could steal baron, and she tried it, and we stole it! It was great.

Anyway, that turned out great! Not as difficult as I'd expected... so far at least :P. I'll post the second when it happens, but for now.. a break! Thanks a ton guys

Engrish

08-17-2012

Half of the people will suck and you will have constant leavers and afk'ers. Your first dozen games are basically luck and you pray that you get the good team.

I try to always play solo top, mid, or jungle because it's a 1v1 of skill. From your screenshot, I see that you are more skilled than most of the people. Good! Bottom lane requires too much coordination between the ADC and the support, and because you are solo queuing the communication is a hit-or-miss. Try never to play support if you can. At beginner ranked, you want to try to carry yourself to victory.

I've only played about 20 ranked games (under the guidance of a 1800 ELO guy) and I've managed to keep about a 60:40 win loss ratio. I noticed that half the people are serious about winning ranked and the other half are complete dimwits. Coordinate attacks with your good teammates and ignore the bad decisions of the idiots.