LoL RP Store Item Suggestions Stolen from KoL

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

wildfire393

09-14-2010

Several years ago, I played another F2P game, Kingdom of Loathing (KoL for short), that had a great business model - "donations" to the game earn you a "Mr. Accessory" that could be used for a decent bonus, sold on the public market for ingame currency (meat), or exchanged for a store item of the month. While this was technically selling power, the fact that the Mr. A could be sold on the public market meant that anyone could get one (and thus any item that they could be used for) simply by playing the game/farming for long enough/lucking into an ultra-rare drop you could sell. Additionally, due to the restrictions on the game modes, most of these donation items wouldn't actually affect competitive play (at least originally), due to the fact that one of the biggest competitive aspects was the "Hardcore" Ascension, during which you did not have access to any of your previous items.

How does this relate to LoL? Well, the fact that almost all content is accessible both through ingame currency (IP/Meat) and donation Currency (RP/Mr. A's) makes the systems very similar. Of course, there are many games out there with similar systems, but this is one that I have had experience with. There were two items available in the Mr. Store (where Mr. Accessories could be traded for Items of the Month or other special items) that I think LoL could benefit from implementing:

1) Custom Avatar Form: The Player would submit a picture and pay 5 Mr. A's ($50/~5 months of pure farming/A year or two of playing the game through ascensions and conserving money). If the picture was accepted by the staff, it would be implemented as the player's avatar both ingame and on the forums. If it wasn't, the Mr. A's would be returned. The price might be a bit lower for LoL, as these were a sign of great prestige and made very limited in number, due to the fact that only things that looked like the in-game stick figure pictures were allowed as custom avatars, a good amount of time had to be spent by the staff confirming these were okay, while in LoL it would just require a simple sweep to make sure there was no nudity/profanity/whatever.

2) Fly-By-Night Heraldry Forms: Buy one get one free for 1 Mr. A. Each form could be used to give any player in the game a custom title ingame and on the forum. This would replace any title that player previously had. Now, due to the... obnoxious nature of the LoL community, making these usable on others without their permission and allowing them to replace previously-used titles might not be a good idea, particularly if these were not available for IP at all (would be over-used for griefing people and would cause complaints that money was spent and nothing was gained from it), but allowing people to set their own custom titles could be beneficial and a nice way to make a quick buck, and provide people who are willing to donate but either have everything already or don't really care to donate for anything in particular an outlet to donate for.

TL ; DR: Would you be willing to pay for a custom avatar/title on the forums and in-game?

Boreall

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-14-2010

TL;DR I felt like crying

Dyloslawer

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-14-2010

cool story bro

Grikshanks

09-14-2010

congratulations, you have discovered the similiarities in microtransaction models!

NedStarkFlanders

09-14-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grikshanks View Post
congratulations, you have discovered the similiarities in microtransaction models!
This.

Quitting KoL was a good choice on my part.

wildfire393

09-14-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidarr View Post
This.

Quitting KoL was a good choice on my part.
I quit KoL after NS13 made it much grindier to play and less fun overall.

The point of this was not "Hey look, similar microtransaction system", but rather "hey look, revenue ideas for Riot, yea or nay?"

NJim

09-14-2010

Please just leave.

yellowfrog

09-14-2010

I. wouldn't pay 50 bucks for an avatar or to change some tagline.

Avatars that are unlocked by purchasing a certain levels of RP I would be cool with though.

wildfire393

09-14-2010

I suppose I should have expected this from this community. Whatever.

Geekweezul

09-14-2010

ITT: People who post before reading entire posts.

@OP: I think it would be a great idea for Riot to implement. I personally wouldn't spend money on something like that, but I know lots of people who would.