Notification of False Reports

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Arrietti

08-16-2012

This was brought up by theshim in another thread and I really liked it.

We all know that if you make too many false reports the Tribunal starts to devalue your reports until they are essentially ignored, however, it would be nice to get some kind of warning or feedback that the community does not find the things you are reporting for punishable. I am not saying it has to be like the suspension ban feedback where you get the incident reports and such but maybe a quick note to let people know their views are not in line with those of the community.

People may stop reporting for bad game scores when they see that tribunal doesn't punish for being outplayed but for intentionally feeding deaths/troll builds/admitting it. Or maybe someone will learn that their instigation of issues or retaliation in game is compelling voters to pardon those they are reporting.Additionally someone who reports for trash talking or negative behavoir may learn that they are more sensitive then the rest of the community or perhaps are taking the code a little too seriously.

As someone who takes the summoner code seriously I find myself reporting people regularly (often for trashing teammates /opps). I never intentionally false report someone, but reading through reccent tribunal cases it astounds me how much is controversial. So much so that I even wonder how many of my own reports have been pardoned. I am female and perhaps a tad more sensitive than the average LoLer. It isn't unplausible that we have differing views on what constitutes greifing. If I need to order a thicker skin, I'd like someone to let me know.

TL;DR If your reports are being pardoned, would you like to know? I think that, especially for people close to the false reporting threshhold, should be made aware that their reports are considered an abuse of the system.

Side note to any red: this is no way a request for my personal stats; please do not feel you need to post them here. If you have reporting information on this account that you wish to share with me, please email the address on the account =)

Edit: I always seem to make a smile face in my tl;dr and had to fix it.

onihero

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-16-2012

The false reporting threshold should not exist in this type of system. Your reports should not be devalued if we believe that the system works. It only further complicates it and causes noise to appear and over time creates compounding bias.

If you start telling people that they are voting the WRONG way, or reporting the WRONG way, you start to nudge them into reporting or voting toward the norm, which pushes the norm in one direction. This will continue to do so until the intent of the system (as a measure of the feeling of the community on these subjects.. which it really isnt anyway, but thats another discussion) is wiped out.

Arrietti

08-16-2012

Just because a system works does not mean it is impervious to abuse. I think that it is necessary to have some kind of repercussion on false reports and clearly Riot agrees as this has already been implemented and is not the topic for debate in this thread.

What we are discussing is notifying people whose reports, whether false or misguided, are being pardoned. The hope being if it is false reporting just to be a jerk, they will learn it doesn't work and stop wasting theirs and everyone's time. And if it is someone with an itchy report finger, give them some guidance on what is punishable and what is playful ribbing. Because I am sure that those in the latter category are striving to better our community,and it would be a shame for their reports to become weightless due to a misunderstanding of the code they are trying to uphold.

It is not about saying what is right and wrong it is about identifying the concensus of the community (point of tribunal) so we can all game better together.

The Popes Face

08-16-2012

I agree with this, I find myself reporting people very often in my game for raging and such. A notification if I'm reporting too often would be a nice addition.

Also with the current system I don't think it would be abused. Even if trolls spam reports until they reach their limit the reports would be pardoned as soon as they reached the tribunal.

powerbats

08-16-2012

I think if you get something telling you your votes are worthless it should be a lower threshold so you only get the worst of the worst and not everyone else.

onihero

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrietti View Post
It is not about saying what is right and wrong it is about identifying the concensus of the community (point of tribunal) so we can all game better together.
I understand what you are saying. However, if you point out what everyone else says is 'right', then that would alter what people report/punish/pardon. These are organic equations and are not static at all. What is okay at one point may not be okay at another, as it is dictated by an ever growing, changing body of judges. If you start nudging people one way or another by telling them that their opinion is not the norm, then you begin to bias the results and will start to move away from the actual consensus of the community.

It will perhaps be less of an impact with notification of reports than punish/pardons, but it will still influence and bias the system.

Hopefully I explained it a little clearer here.

Arrietti

08-17-2012

Lets stay on topic which is the suggestion of notifying people when a large portion of the reports they are making are considered pardonable by tribunal. It is not recommending we tell people if their votes are not part of the majority.

Notifying those making false reports could reduce the number of reports that are not aligned with the way the community is voting. Reducing the number of reports does not influence how the community votes, it just makes it easier for Riot to accurately determine which summoners should go before tribunal.

I understand that the community is not static and will be everchanging but voting is based on the summonercode. There may be some varying degrees of interpretation, but those things are being ironed out daily through red clarifications and thread debates. I do not see it drastically changing to a point where we would have trouble identifying and reporting toxic game behavior.

In general, people like to be warned before something is taken away from them, especially if it is due to actions they have influence over (in this case their reporting style). I don't like trolls and griefers, but I am glad they have a few chances to clean up their act before we boot them. We are not recommending anything too different here.

Arrietti

08-23-2012

Well, looks like further action is being taken against people whose reports were not punished.

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=2504838

I personally think that it was sad it had to get that but perhaps I am just naive in thinking that warning some of these people beforehand could have made less work for Riot and less saddness for those who feel they were trying to help the community by reporting things they legitimately felt were against code that other summoners did not interpret as such.

Well we got some feedback(maybe not in the way we were hoping), here's hoping for a better community. Maybe this experience will inspire them to come up with more ways to get feedback to players.

Even better if that feedback can be used to correct issues before they get to the point where Riot feels immeditate punishment is the best option.