League of Legends Champions Retrospective

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

NewBlat

08-20-2012

ok too many fa**ots *****ing here about lack of creativity. the new sneak peek on the orb manipulation is fairly original but since ori exists a lot of the glamor is lost.

The real issue is that they are trying not to copy and do stuff that isnt done. that is limited them though and they ought to start stealing ideas here and there. the earthshaker from dota is perfect example, his ult at least, they have things that are kinda similar, lots of bouncing abilities and ae stuff. when take all the base components of making a skill you have a list like: bouncing, restore hp, teleport, create item/unit, cast nuke etc. there is only so many ways to combine all these and they try to come up with new things to start working in all the time. I am sick of how many sheild spells there is in the game but im also sick of EVERY OTHER MECHANIC because they havent added anything interesting in a while minus zyra's plants. a good example of a unique character is maokai, not a single one of his abilities has anything else like it in the game.

but this again just proves theres only so far they can go until they have to just change old champs and stop releasing new ones.

Geph

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-20-2012

Tack, thanks for the reply.

>and default whiteness is a form of racism (think of Band-Aids or crayons of peach color being labeled 'flesh-colored').
>Of course. It's the color of the flesh of a peach.

I imagine you're joking here. You might try reading Peggy McIntosh to better understand white privilege.

>Also, Nasus and Ryze are black.

Nasus seems pretty alien to me, but I can't be sure. Ryze is blue/purple, normally, but does have a non-white skin available if you want to pay money. If you have to pay for racial diversity this privileges and normalizes white skin characters over non-white characters and severely impacts their representation overall.

>Don't like it? Invent a new continent where dark-skinned is the norm.

This would be many continents in our real world today. Riot is a global company (ever meet any of the numerous Brazilian players out there, or notice Riot's tournaments in China?).

I'd suggest that in North America, and the world taken overall, many skin colors are the norm and that's great!

>Because LoL currently doesn't have one.
>Just so you know, 'some Asian heritage' is implied because Ionia is Asian.

Fantasy settings like the one found in LOL are based on our real-world context. Thus we have things, like, say, humans in games who look similar to humans in our physical world. I would say purposefully excluding many significant races and ethnicities is simply racist. There are what, 90 heroes? If they can represent people who are based on our real-world Asian ethnicity (categorized loosely, there is amazing diversity within East Asia alone) then they can certainly base more heroes on African or Latin@ character types and lore.

>And Riven, Lux, Fiora and Diana all don't conform to any of your stereotypes there.

I disagree. They're all thin women, and in many of their skins they're represented with large breasts. There are no short, overweight, or scary-looking human women. Even if we did decide that yes, there's a little body-type diversity amongst female characters it doesn't change the fact that they're making the 'norm' in the game female body types that are far outside of the range of how most women look. In the aggregate this continues the social obsession with valuing women primarily for their appearance and sets the stage for what both men and women expect of female bodies.

>Seriously, stop being a hater just to hate.

I'm not hating to hate. Really. LOL is a great game. It just needs some more diversity in terms of body types. Representation of people and identities in media really matters - it plays a massive role in our socialization growing up.

Raediance

08-24-2012

I really enjoyed the video and the enthusiasm portrayed by the Riot employees I love watching prototypes of champs and how they evolve. I'd love a video like that for all future champ! It'd be a real treat. ^^
I wish I had listened to myself when I wanted to go into game design and not my parents who want me to go to university.

pingthepanda777

08-25-2012

I have an idea for a shark champ for the 25th anniversary of shark week. his name is karcharias its greek for shark. i just had surgery on my thumb yesterday and the drugs they gave me kept me up almost all night so iv had time to think anyways i wanted to incorporate different sharks into his abilities. he will be kinda like udyr with each ability change into that shark.he will not use mana he will use water preserves that will be connected to his gills so people cant spam his abilities but have the relief of having no mana.His passive would be called denticles which is the name of the sharks rough skin and it converts 25 percent of his armor into attack damage because sharks have really tough skin.His Q would be called "mmmmmmmm krill" and he turns into a whale shark and sucks in the target dealing damage and stunning the target. His W is called "SHARK ATTACK" which turns him into a tiger shark which are supposed to be stealthy and he is stealthed for 5/6/7/8/9/10 seconds and if he attacks a target he bites them in the leg slowing them and dealing some damage ( I don't have that figured out yet). his E would be called "nice grill" and his head turns into a bull shark which are one of the most aggressive sharks and make his teeth huge and really jagged increasing his attack speed and damage. His ult would be called "look out below" which he goes under the ground with his dorsal fin exposed and cant be attacked for 2/2.5/3 seconds and gaining movement speed or if you target a enemy champ it turns them into a seal and you turn into a great white shark and breach out of the water with the seal in his mouth and when he comes back down with the enemy champ it stuns them for 1/1.5/2 seconds and dealing damage

so tell me what you think im still working on it but i think this would be a cool champ

XxBTExX

08-25-2012

The Riot team should release a book with early concept arts for every character and the original ideas or where they got the inspiration. I would buy the book in a heartbeat.

Blustrin

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-29-2012

an unusual take hmm TANKS THAT DO DMG now i get it

andrewbasedgod

08-30-2012

holy **** his lazy eye

LunaticSquirrell

08-30-2012

new champions are all well and good but when are we going to see new fields of justice?
I am not saying you should stop making new champions but more map variety would be great
at least in my humble opinion anyway

NegroLOL

09-02-2012

Guys visit this page is freaking awesome http://freegamesandgear.com/?ref=23747

RonniePunani

09-04-2012

I want to do some of the voice dubs O . O I think it'd be awesome D: