League of Legends Champions Retrospective

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Tyvor

08-19-2012

I'm tired of Riot claiming they're so loaded with creativity when all we see are humanoids with bland kits.

This video is proof of how deluded Riot is, they're so inflated on themselves right now they can't realize the true state of their game.

Here's a reality check, if Riot cannot balance the champion roster and pull of a HUGE item overhaul, there is no way League will stay competitive with DotA2. Let's face it, the actual GAME, the thing people are playing, should be more important than rushing out new champions and content. It's not that new content is bad, but people want balance in a competitive game FIRST and foremost, not 100+ champions and probably half that aren't even used in competition, and the other half that have limited build options.

I've seen plenty of great threads from the community of possible champion reworks or balance ideas, and items too... and if Riot just listened to the community more, and stopped being so afraid of changing their game (both of which they once did), they would be doing themselves and the players a huge service.

Donkykongg

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-20-2012

If you're getting better and better why is the ranked matchmaking system still ****...

purellsanitizer

08-20-2012

Sorry but you lost me at "we really care".

Until you fix your crappy match making, not matter how many 'original heroes' you create the game will always be dong.

lileeper

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-20-2012

Hey, why didn't they mention darius or garen or olaf or other guys like that?

Murkaran

08-20-2012

Nine-Tailed Fox unconventional?

Absozero

08-20-2012

I love that they think a plethora of white dudes with big weapons are "original" or "creative" champions... /fail Notice how that skip all those people in this retrospective.

Absozero

08-20-2012

I agree with some other posters that this video just seems like propaganda to get people to actually believe the stuff Riot is saying, even though it's far from true.

Cheesebuns

08-20-2012

they talk about all these characters that i agree are amazing. yet they shrug under the rug the failure that we all know as darius

wicked55

08-20-2012

pantheon pls fix. his my 1st champion and i love him and i havent played him i miss him i hope u guys can fix

Coriasis

08-20-2012

Ideas:
1. More Skins for the Summoner's Rift map: This has been said before but completely new maps and game modes don't really fit the MOBA genre. Dominion and Twisted Treeline are already out there so Riot should do their best to keep them going and balanced(Actually, more maps for Dominion would be cool), but otherwise I think we'd be satisfied with something like a new champion every month and a new variation/skin on Summoner's Rift every 6 months/year. I actually missed the autumn and winter versions when they took them out.

2. Increased Free Champion Rotation Size: I've seen arguments on youtube and other sites that DOTA 2 is better because they have pretty much all of their champions available at the beginning, and that it takes months and years to unlock a sizable pool of champions in LoL. Switching to their model would be quite a radical change that many people might not approve of, so I think a better idea would be to just increase the number of champions available in the free rotation as the number of total champions goes up, say right now from 10 to 20. This would also solve the small issue of new players getting matched with enemy teams that are almost exactly the same as their own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randell44 View Post
Same abilities my ***.
I wholeheartedly agree with you on that point, LoL lacks original abilities, however some of your points could use clarification.

Quote:
Complete ability class missing from LOL: Viable pet abilities.
There is Annie, Mordekaiser, Malzahar, Yorick, Shaco, Zyra, Heimerdinger, what i can name at least, they all have pets/minions with unique utilities. They would be viable if they weren't mostly locked up in long cooldown ultimates or passives. Yorick's minions are fairly nasty harassment early game to a solo opponent but become just a minor nuisance later on, if their summon duration and other stats increased with level we'd have something there. However you are correct in saying that LOL has no viable pet only abilities.
Quote:
Shockwaves travel through the ground, damaging enemy units. Each enemy hit causes an echo to damage nearby units. Upgradable by Aghanim's Scepter. What does does LOL have to compare to that?
Malphite's Brutal Strikes might count as a melee version, and Brand's ultimate, but that's an ultimate so whatever. Also a random item called Tiamat makes autoattacks do 50% AoE, but nobody uses it.

Quote:
Splits Brewmaster into elements, forming 3 specialized warriors, adept at survival. If any of them survive until the end of their summoned timer, the Brewmaster is reborn. Upgradable by Aghanim's Scepter. Seriously, he splits into 3 warriors that are each different and is reborn as long as 1 survives.
Leblanc and shaco have clone abilities but they are extremely ****ty, just saying.
Quote:
I can TP myself and an ally anywhere for a limited amount of time and then return. Totally not done in LOL.
Leblanc's Distort is similar, give them points for trying in the old days.