League of Legends Champions Retrospective

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Aggressivepear

08-16-2012

Champions are good and all, but how about some new maps or something of the like? i know Champions are basically the core of the game, but having something new to do besides trying out a new champion would be totally cool.

ploki122

08-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broderbund View Post
It's so obvious that the entire riot team are uncultured children. This is reflected to a painful degree in the video and also in-game in a number of ways:
1, In-game sexism. All females are attractive and have oversized breasts and perfect proportions. Monstrous champs are all male excluding anivia. Many female champions have sexy phrases but no male champions do.
2, Terribly written lore. Reads like a highschooler with an overactive imagination wrote it. No original plot mechanics, no depth or foreshadowing, no character development.
3, Inconsistency in technical writing. Skill descriptions switch between second and third person, sometimes explaining what the skill does on a technical level, and some giving contextual information on what the champion does when the skill is activated (e.g. "Taric loves to socket his armor with gems). Champion titles are either titles, nicknames or short descriptions.
4, The vocabulary used in the video is almost emberassing, I think I counted the word "awesome" being used 8 times when there were much more descriptive words available.

Overall League of Legends is immature and childish. However what I haven't commented on yet is how it's actually a fun and addicting game and I'm sure all the people featured in the video are fine programmers that know how to keep it that way. It just rubs me the wrong way sometimes.
*facepalm*

1. Karma is a slender no-boobs and so is Vayne in half her skins... Leona and Kayle are clad in armor, no cleavage there, and little to no boobs... Lulu/Annie/Poppy/Tristana, no (read as -1) sexuality there... The only reason they don't have fat girls is because even the funny fat man isn't selling well... As for the monster, I can't really say if Kog'maw is male or female... it's pretty much an "it", and the reason they're male is because (imo) it is easier to picture monsters as males (not that men are monsters...)

2. No background? Yeah... let's take Katarina as an example, it wasn't said that she was attracted to Garen, they didn't mention any relationship to Cassiopeia or Markus du Couteau. No backstory involving how she failed one of her first missions but atoned for failure and ended up killing the correct target... Honestly it really is too shallow (if you didn't get it yet, it was all sarcasm)

3. That one is true, but for their defense, they have written all of it over 3-4 years, and they've been looking at this problem and fixing it... slowly...

4. Yup, very emberrasing... also, they never acknowledged how they knew they used awesome too much but that it has become a pattern in their offices... /sarcasmagain

P.s. your reply loses even more credibility given the fact you haven't accepted ToS...

kokxx

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

08-16-2012

Anyone else noticed ryze bleeched his teeth?

INinjaStarBabies

08-16-2012

still need a champion that is actually twins and their abilities work together and the passive could be that if they arent together than the move does something different

The Sexual Moose

08-16-2012

Riot I want what ever that was at 0:55 "throws his money" Just take it already.

Asphalt

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-16-2012

Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooo

When is Evelyn and Twitch being reverted back to their old versions, since they are completely useless now...

also when is Cho Gath's rupture getting rid of that stupid circle so he will be viable again..

ZombieCakes

08-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThornAlavarn View Post
Kayle very well might get an updated splash art eventually. They seem to be doing a lot of splash art updates lately. And I guess we'll just have to disagree on MF.. I think she looks infinitely better in this splash art. Her current splash art is just.. *Vomits*
It's the same thing to me, yeah the quality is much higher, indeed. They just want her to look a lot more like a girl, since her face in the current art is pretty strange, and her boobs look like balloons. I guess overall I'm angry that this is the second time they'll change Morgana's splash art, and the one she has now isn't even bad, if anything it's got a lot more glow to it. I don't get what they're getting at by giving her ANOTHER splash art, when there's old, really loved champions that have been waiting, not just Kayle, but also Soraka, Garen or Lux.

SmurfX213

08-16-2012

They lied, they don't care about our feed back and they don't care what we want.

Archaeopterygida

08-16-2012

As good as the character design of League of Legends is, I think it still falls prey to one of the more common fantasy tropes out there - All Humans Are White.

This isn't to say there aren't other cultures in the game's lore that aren't based on European or American styles and vales, but all of the human characters - purely human - have very pale skin, even Karma. And neither are there many champions that are inspired in part by folklore and/or myths not from Western civilizations or the common East Asian cultures readily accepted by the gaming community.

I think it would be very interesting to see the champion designers work with the wealth of non-Western cultures in a way that meshes with the lore of LoL - maybe previously isolated city-states or other island nations wanting to join in the technology and magic races. One that immediately comes to my mind is using the canceled Priscilla, Spider Queen with Anansi, the trickster-teacher god of Ashanti folklore.

WolfHowl

08-16-2012

I kinda agree on one thing (someone stated there are only guys monsters, not including anivia)

I think they should make like...... a giant spider.... or.... SOMETHING monstrous and give it feminine charm