RED: Plans for Elo Hell?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Sir Cowdog

09-13-2010

I'm not saying its your fault or anything, but I just find it strange how the terribad feeders that populate ELO hell are always only on side. Is there a type of player out there who NEVER gets feeders or quitters? Some magical separate que that has a "no feeder/quitter" option to check? Do some people's accounts get flagged "noob teams only"?

Sorry, I'm just messin with you. I think the problem is that everyone starts at the same ELO when they join ranked play. The problem stems from the fact that it does not require skill, only time, to reach level 30 and ranked play.

Personally I think an elegant solution would be to base your starting ELO on your normal games that you did on your way to level 30. Feeders, leavers, afkers will have, on average, a terrible win/loss record and therefore a lower starting ELO. While those of us who actually try to win, learn from our mistakes, and generally have few leaves(if any) and a positive win/loss ratio, will start higher. You might even throw in an additional ELO penalty for each leave on a person's record on their way to 30. Presumably that would mean that people who are in ELO hell deserve to be there.

Its not perfect, but its a **** sight better than what we have now.

ApthyPrjkt

09-14-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Cowdog View Post
I'm not saying its your fault or anything, but I just find it strange how the terribad feeders that populate ELO hell are always only on side. Is there a type of player out there who NEVER gets feeders or quitters? Some magical separate que that has a "no feeder/quitter" option to check? Do some people's accounts get flagged "noob teams only"?

Sorry, I'm just messin with you. I think the problem is that everyone starts at the same ELO when they join ranked play. The problem stems from the fact that it does not require skill, only time, to reach level 30 and ranked play.

Personally I think an elegant solution would be to base your starting ELO on your normal games that you did on your way to level 30. Feeders, leavers, afkers will have, on average, a terrible win/loss record and therefore a lower starting ELO. While those of us who actually try to win, learn from our mistakes, and generally have few leaves(if any) and a positive win/loss ratio, will start higher. You might even throw in an additional ELO penalty for each leave on a person's record on their way to 30. Presumably that would mean that people who are in ELO hell deserve to be there.

This is good and all but what about us who got brought here through the magic of terrible gamers?

GTTV

09-14-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Cowdog View Post
I think the problem is that everyone starts at the same ELO when they join ranked play. The problem stems from the fact that it does not require skill, only time, to reach level 30 and ranked play.

But what about people who start the game straight off with one account? They love the game, but obviously don't do too well straight away. This game takes a while to get used to, then a while to actually get half decent at, so they lose a lot on the way to level 30. They buy skins, heroes, progressively get better, and eventually get to lvl 30. I find that, for someone WITHOUT down syndrome, the games you get before 30 is enough for someone to get a pretty firm grasp of this game. Although their normal-game win/loss might be TERRIBLE, they deserve a second chance to start again, rather than being stuck in a much WORSE Elo Hell. What you a proposing is a Elo Hell that is near to impossible to escape, as its based off your normal games as well as your ranked.

The only solution to this deeper, more miserable Elo Hell would be to create one account, get good and get to lvl 30. Then start another account and try again with your new-found experience, which might prove to be useless again as you are still being matched with people who are low levels and usually first time players and bad. (while at the same time still getting a handful of smurfs.) So then it'll turn into how many smurfs one team has that wins, which might or might not be yours. (essentially, the same as Elo Hell is now with pure luck deciding matches.)

Sangcreux

09-14-2010

It IS possible to get out of ELO hell. No joke, I got all the way down to below 1000 ELO. I'm almost 1300 right now, which isn't great, but it's some progress.

My advice? ALWAYS have a duo partner. Never ever solo queue for ranked when in ELO hell. Thats about all you can do. Play a carry, you can't carry your team too well if you're playing a character who's not meant to carry.

You're still going to lose sometimes, but whatever, just keep trying. Playing in ELO hell is like gambling, really. But there are a few things you can do to increase your odds.

Reiver

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-14-2010

I'm currently mid on normal ELO because though I'm more knowledgeable than most of the players I'm with, I'm not good enough to carry them like a real pro. (I don't play ranked due to lacking full rune pages and not having enough chars [mainly lacking a main tank])

But I've encountered people on my own team who think they're the **** and that their teammates are always dragging them down despite the fact that they don't really know what they're doing.

For example, I was in a game with a twitch who would only engage to finish off the people who were under about 20% hp, so he got quite a few kills (15), and he managed to only die 9 times

Whenever he did actually engage in a teamfight, he always focused their rammus, and *****ed out his teammates for failing to kill rammus.

At the end of the game we lost, and he whined about how we were dragging him down, when all he was was someone who didn't even know the basic of "don't focus the tank" and would just finish off people who were trying to escape.

Zodiacshape

09-14-2010

The biggest annoyance is when your team feeds and you end up doing great but can't own them because the enemy is so **** overfed causing you to end up with a feeder like score then all these tards can do is blame just me for their screw ups. Most of the time, I believe it is the 4 other people dragging down a good competent player not the other way around.

thsismyboomstick

09-14-2010

IMO There is very little difference between the 1200 to 1600 people. Good players can get buried while bads get carried.
I've played solo ranked plenty and seen people feed like there's no tomorrow at the 1500 level. It's just the luck of the draw. And remember, ELO is not a measure of how good you are. It's not like you'll say I'm 1400 good at league of legends.

DeanKeaton259

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-14-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkmjapan View Post
This is how super low elo play works. Everyone lanes until about level 6. Teams will split to find the lowest health diehard who wouldn't B back to base, kill him, and the proceed to rape their partner. These two who are raging about no MIA call are now distracting their team from the fact that now 3 people are MIA, they then proceed to rape mid, and then the other open lane. Eventually the level difference is something like 1 team is level 17+ and the other team is level 14. At this point it's literally impossible to stop the snowball that started.

Another scenerio is that according to PainfuL there should be an equal number of scrub players on each team. In this scenario both teams do the same as the former, except now, they find the one idiot who always walks out by himself and feeds their team on him, leveling up, and flattening anything in their path no matter how skilled you are.

The final scenario is that you're entire team, while not feeding, doesn't know what last hitting or lane control is, and proceeds to have all your towers knocked down regardless of level or kills. The game then ends at somewhere around 20-25 minutes.

Elo hell is as it's name implies. Once you're in, there's no way out.
I lol'd. I'm so glad I'm not in Elo hell. :P

Devil May LOL

09-14-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangcreux View Post
My advice? ALWAYS have a duo partner. Never ever solo queue for ranked when in ELO hell. Thats about all you can do. Play a carry, you can't carry your team too well if you're playing a character who's not meant to carry.
This is why elo hell is so bad.

Every single person thinks that they must pick carry if they want to win, so the team ends up having 4-5 carries all the time with the last person (most of the time, me) having to pick tanks to save the team. Then when the team fail because guess what, 4 carries no cc I got flamed for being bad.

Iaw

09-14-2010

I know Riot says that this is difficult to do, but I think that somehow, someway, Riot needs to implement a way for Elo to be primarily based on your individual performance. It could be altered depending on what type of character you are playing.

Just as an example, my very first ranked game, my team had a leaver, he never connected so it was 4v5 from the start. I bought wards I had the most CS in the game, I had the most kills on my team least deaths etc but still lost a chunk of elo. At the end of the game my teams scores were

(Me) 15/5/4

(tank) 0/10

(mage) 1/12

(dps) 3/7

(leaver) 0/0/0

Now I think, in a game like that, where I have the most CS, stats like that, warded, bought elixers etc, I should not lose a huge chunk of Elo, because NO ONE, could have carried that game, it was literally a free loss.

Elo needs to take into account personal performance.