Should Frivolous Reporting be a Punishable Offense

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

onihero

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-16-2012

I believe we are talking about different things.

Ambiguity in punishment systems IS a huge problem with ANY punishment system. And here Im talking about the 'code'. You cannot know what a 'false report' is, ever, because of the amount of ambiguity in the 'code'. EVERY report is VALID to the REPORTER. They are reporting because they felt the player diminished their enjoyment of the game (disregarding people that click report for the hell of it). Of course, this its a silly system that VALIDITY is DEFINED on a case by case basis.

magooomba

08-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by getcancerdieslow View Post
In your example, calling another player a "noob" is, in fact, harassment (confirmed by Pendragon here: http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...2#post28296432).
This is the quote you linked, not from Pendragon:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zileas View Post
For most things you can say (with a few exceptions), the context AND the word together make it harassment. Calling your friend a noob isn't harassment. Calling a random dude on live a noob is probably harassment. If you follow that up with telling him to uninstall, it most certainly is harassment.
Did you feel like misinterpreting the quote to make your point would actually help?

onihero

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-16-2012

Thanks for helping my point about ambiguity and its problems in a punishment system, magooomba. I knew I kept you around for a reason.

theshim

08-16-2012

Why do you guys have such a deep, burning loathing for taking context into account?

Anyway, to answer the OP: while I think devaluing reports is important and useful, I also strongly support notifying people if their reports are becoming worthless. This would give them direct feedback that they are abusing the system, rather than reports flying off into a void and no one knowing if they're doing anything, good or bad, with them.

Everyone should have more information, whether to know that your reports are having an effect, or to be told that you are misusing the feature.

powerbats

08-16-2012

I've always felt that the spam reporters need to get not only their report credibility lessened but eventually need to be warned and or punished somehow to let them no it's not ok.

You'd probably remove quite a few of the trolls who constantly threaten to report if they know that their reports are worthless and that instead their behavior classifies as harassment.

Not sure if this is explaining it correctly or not perhaps someone else could help clarify this or add to it.

For those that spam report perhaps they'd figure out or could have a reform type card sent to them explaining it all. Your reporting credibility currently due to false reports, you reported x players for x offense and they've been found innocent by tribunal.

In this case say intentional feeding is what they spam report for but it's actually an unskilled or bad player, They get a reform card stating the rules etc and saying that's not intentional feeding or w/e.

This would only be for those whose credibility is extremely low so you wouldn't flood the system with reports nor grab everyone.

Currently the way the system is setup now the spam reporters have no way of knowing anything so if something could be done it would help with better and less reporting.

Pre/post game chat would clear up so much of the issues as well.

Arrietti

08-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by A****W View Post
On a similar note, I think that if I'm reading a chatlog and think the person in question is far better behaved than the people who reported him than I should be able to report that person as well.
You can't report people you didn't play with and I don't think we should be giving people the ability to do otherwise.

If the people who you feel were acting worse offended anyone, it is safe to assume they were already reported. If not, then I guess the people they played with were not that bothered by it.

Either way, you were not there and were not hurt in the slightest, why do you feel you the need for retribution in this case anyway?

Arrietti

08-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshim View Post
Why do you guys have such a deep, burning loathing for taking context into account?

Anyway, to answer the OP: while I think devaluing reports is important and useful, I also strongly support notifying people if their reports are becoming worthless. This would give them direct feedback that they are abusing the system, rather than reports flying off into a void and no one knowing if they're doing anything, good or bad, with them.

Everyone should have more information, whether to know that your reports are having an effect, or to be told that you are misusing the feature.
I love the idea of notifying people when Tribunal does not agree with them (or notifying them when their reports are reaching the threshhold of too many false reports etc).

People take the summoner code with varying degrees of seriousness. It would be a shame for someone legitimately trying to assist the community by ridding it of code breakers to not be told they are taking some parts of it too serious/literal.

ffanatic13

08-24-2012

What I think I might suggest is a third button--punish, pardon, refer to tribunal for frivolous reporting. This way reporting will be thought of less as "I don't like this guys play style" and more of "there is a legitimate concern here."