Remove Smite

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MithanderLeso

08-15-2012

So I doubt this will ever happen, but I've put some serious thought into this. Smite, and by extension Jungling, promotes passive gameplay. I don't want to push too far because I might get a stun from that Udyr, or get pounced on by a level 6 Nocturne. If I see I have a lane advantage that would allow me to dive for first blood but I thought I saw a little icon pop up near my ward in the river, I'm gonna start running away out of fear of my death being first blood.
I'm not saying jungle would be completely removed from the game. It would just be pushed to a more niche position than the current ubiquity that took over the meta. With the jungle buffs that were implemented a while back, and especially because Wriggles exists, smite is just for making the jungle easier, not possible. There are many characters with built in sustain for just this purpose, but by forcing them to receive more damage it slows them down in the jungle, making the early game more focused on trading/committing as opposed to wait for the jungler to gank a lane for first blood.
Also, maybe a duo top is something that would sufficiently shake up the meta. It would allow for new team comps aside from the standard off-tank top, ap mid, ad/support bot.

So jungling affects the laning phase to be more passive, so what?

Well it's not just the laning phase that gets affected. Basically anytime a map objective is up and a team is behind there's no incentive to try to contest because the other team can divert some of their damage that would otherwise be allocated to securing the objective. That 190 extra gold can be the decider about whether or not you get your BF sword before or after the next major team fight. Basically you take away the "guarantee" that a team has for an objective currently. Yes, steals happen currently, but they're usually only when the other team is on an equal footing with the one going for it.

It would give certain kits the natural jungle advantage, but characters and kits have intended design goals so that's not a problem. If people are going to complain that it shuts down avenues of play available to characters, well that's kinda the point. Just because you can jungle Teemo, doesn't mean you should, let alone have it actually be viable. Going cloth 5 way back when was actually a thing that junglers had to do which allowed you to actually escape ganks (which actually gave some risk to jungling, something which is currently lacking, if not absent), but now the boots 3 standard makes ganks pretty strong in the early game when escape mechanisms are unavailable or would harm your initial laning ability.

Don't get me wrong, it's not that I hate jungling, in fact it's quite fun. I just hate that every champ and their brother can do it. The problem with jungling, is the only counter to jungling is to have a jungler on your team as well (ie counter-jungling, having the same ganks available). The meta could use some changes in my opinion.

TL;DR:
Remove smite, see diversity, less snowballing, more team comp variance.

Beyonce KnowIes

08-15-2012

NO

CubeShroom

08-15-2012

Is this even serious?

Heartlis

08-15-2012

Keeping smite is good for many reasons, but at this point I'm against any further simplifying/streamlining on principle alone

Warkeiser

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-15-2012

Smite removed.

Nunu and Cho everywhere.

Chatterz

08-15-2012

you dont have to put that much thought into it, spend like a good 10 seconds and you know that removing it would be a bad idea

Minion Strong

08-15-2012

didnt read but i suspect you are noob from title :/

100AngryTurtles

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-15-2012

Trolling is getting bad.. What happened to good and intelligent trolling...

Morgra

08-15-2012

Removing smite would be bad. Objectives could easily be stolen by the enemy team, and suddenly Nunu/Cho'gath become extremely broken via jungle control.

NeverPull0ut

08-15-2012

Consider how anti-fun this game would be if you made one mistake in lane and fell behind. As is, you can recover with jungle pressure. If junglers were unable to jungle, you would literally be zoned for the next 20 minutes smashing your face on your desk until you ragequit.