To all "Where is my black champion" threads.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ithalin

10-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitufito Dell View Post
I want you suggest a "concept" to a black champion that is not offensive, racist, xenofobic, arquetipe and not filled yet in the game, so then I can say "I agree whit you".
Before that, forget getting a black champion, because, if you don't know how to make one whitout beign racist, no one knows.
You are, without a doubt, a prime example of the stupidity this world now accepts. ANYTHING can be considered racist, homophobic, heterophobic, etc. You just need to look at it from a perspective, and bippity-boppity-boop, it's now offensive to someone or something, somewhere.

Now excuse me while I go make a 'Where's my Black Gragas skin' thread.

BEERS FOR FEARS

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithalin View Post
You are, without a doubt, a prime example of the stupidity this world now accepts. ANYTHING can be considered racist, homophobic, heterophobic, etc. You just need to look at it from a perspective, and bippity-boppity-boop, it's now offensive to someone or something, somewhere.

Now excuse me while I go make a 'Where's my Black Gragas skin' thread.
Maybe it's because these things are offensive? You're telling me your "Black Gragas" skin isn't offensive?
I'd hate to be around you in real life if you have that much of a disregard for what is appropriate.

Evolnemesis

10-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacqs View Post
Maybe it's because these things are offensive? You're telling me your "Black Gragas" skin isn't offensive?
I'd hate to be around you in real life if you have that much of a disregard for what is appropriate.
Just what about a black gragas is offensive?

Are you trying to say if they made one that it would somehow be implying that ALL black people were fat, or that ALL black people were drunks? That's exactly the kind of idiotic thinking that person was talking about... Just no... the guy's already outrageously fat and drunk for ANY race... his existence isn't offensive to any race no matter what his skin color is (unless maybe he were native american, then MAYBE they could say something about the alcoholic stereotype...)

Seriously though, the OP makes a valid point... no matter how they model a black champ, especially if they tried to use ANY cultural influences that are considered 'black', there are a lot of people that would be offended and call them stereotypes... even if they just give a champ black skin and make him have NOTHING to do with being black, like the black gragas or a black knight or something people would get upset... you proved his point by getting offended just at the idea...

Edit: just read the other thread... ok, yeah, THAT black gragas is pretty stereotypical, but I really think at this point most people would just laugh at something like that rather than be truly offended, and you don't have to worry about Riot EVER making that one.

ninemile

10-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Negrojefe View Post
Darius could have ben black without being offensive, racist, xenofobic, arquetipe. So could Garen. So could Varus, so could almost any champ.

Even teemo could have been a black yordle.
Darius is notoriously angry and violent. Plus he dunks. Plus his name is 'darius.' That's so many black stereotypes rolled into one it's not even funny.

Teemo uses drugs and shoots a blow gun. He also has a move that literally just makes him run faster. So. Black.

Varus uses a bow and arrow, and no black people are archers. So that would just be unrealistic.

Garen could maybe be black, but I just don't see it.

Evolnemesis

10-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninemile View Post
Darius is notoriously angry and violent. Plus he dunks. Plus his name is 'darius.' That's so many black stereotypes rolled into one it's not even funny.

Teemo uses drugs and shoots a blow gun. He also has a move that literally just makes him run faster. So. Black.

Varus uses a bow and arrow, and no black people are archers. So that would just be unrealistic.

Garen could maybe be black, but I just don't see it.
Garen likes to hide in bushes and then jump out and mug people... and he has a movespeed buff too.

Point is, some people willing to twist a champs concept or look hard enough for something offensive will figure out a way to be offended no matter WHAT concept you use for a black champ... however I don't think Riot should let this stop them from making them, any more than it stopped them from making Asian champs or European champs, or even the obviously African champs they already made that somehow people argue aren't black...

Since D3 is an example people use, I will use it too... yes, some people got offended at the witch doctor, which they argued is a stereotype, but did it stop people (including black people) from buying that game in record numbers? No... no loss of sales for Blizzard... Is there any lawsuit pending because of it? No... no legal problems for Blizzard... So what's stopping Riot really? There's always a small minority of people that just like to complain.

From all the threads like this I see, it seems that people are going to keep complaining until Riot comes out with some super-stereotypical champ that nobody could possibly argue isn't black, and then they will complain when he comes out anyway... so they might as well just make one already... hell make him a pimp and he will be popular with everyone. He could be a classy pimp... maybe have a title like 'The Love Broker' or it could even be a female... 'Madam'

lemonpartyfan0

10-08-2012

Quote:
I am white, and white Gragas offends me. Its offensive to think Riot is portraying white people as being rabble rousing hill billy drunkards. Its not right, and his skin should be changed to a neutral gray skin so as not to offend anyone.

lemonpartyfan0

10-08-2012

Quote:
Honestly really worried about the amount of people who are opposed to a little more diversity and making people feel a bit more included. I see absolutely no negatives of having a black character if they don't go "Let's make the black character be as stereotypical as possible"
People saying "it's just a game" also worry me. As with any type of media, it's going to send some sort of message whether you agree with that or not. When you have little to no representation that isn't negative for a bad stereotype in any type of media, it's going to make an impact. That **** isn't "just a game" anymore; being constantly underportrayed or negatively portrayed gets really damn tiring, and that people are even debating this-and dismissing-the fact it would be pretty cool to have one champion who is black is terrifying.
I am a little worried that you think its okay to shove your opinions into peoples faces and control someone elses artistic themes. I am not opposed to diversity, and I opposed to white knights with their heads up their butts who think they are fighting a crusade of "goodness" by trying to FORCE diversity on someone.

I'm sorry, but just because there is no stereotypical black person doesn't mean black people aren't included. It doesn't mean they can't play the game, or have fun.

People who say its more than a game worry me. The messages you refer to are only seen by crazy people like you. Also, you need to look up the word "fact."

I'm sorry, but when I see a show, or movie or whatever with most of the cast or characters with the same color of skin, my first irrational though isn't " WHERE THE HECK IS ALL THE OTHER ETHNICITIES? THIS IS ATROCIOUS AND OFFENSIVE!"

Seriously, get over yourself. If you don't like the game how it is, don't force your **** on it. I don't watch Tyler Perry shows or movies with an all black cast and write him letters saying he should have more Native Americans, because you know, the lack there of offends me and makes me feel like I am not included. If you only focus on race, race is an issue.

Here is a fancy quote. Please think about what it means before posting your garbage.

When you call yourself an Indian or a Muslim or a Christian or a European, or anything else, you are being violent. Do you see why it is violent? Because you are separating yourself from the rest of mankind. When you separate yourself by belief, by nationality, by tradition, it breeds violence. So a man who is seeking to understand violence does not belong to any country, to any religion, to any political party or partial system; he is concerned with the total understanding of mankind.

-Jiddu Krishnamurti

Nahuel1

01-21-2013

Lol stumbled across this thread and i have a quick question...How many of you are black?

ImpTaimer

01-21-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by **********fan0 View Post

Here is a fancy quote. Please think about what it means before posting your garbage.

When you call yourself an Indian or a Muslim or a Christian or a European, or anything else, you are being violent. Do you see why it is violent? Because you are separating yourself from the rest of mankind. When you separate yourself by belief, by nationality, by tradition, it breeds violence. So a man who is seeking to understand violence does not belong to any country, to any religion, to any political party or partial system; he is concerned with the total understanding of mankind.

-Jiddu Krishnamurti
Nice quote about fancy garbage. Words of a privileged man, cynic, and hypocrite. One that has only suffered for the existence of others, and not for his own existence.

This quote has nothing to do with skin color.

GlyphTsen

01-21-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Negrojefe View Post
Darius could have ben black without being offensive, racist, xenofobic, arquetipe. So could Garen. So could Varus, so could almost any champ.
Indeed. Being white or black (or brown, yellow, purple, or blue) doesn't make a champion a stereotype. In fact, given the fictional nature of the game world (and the very diverse nature of the people who play it), skin color plays effectively no real difference at all with who a champion is and what they do.

Quote:
Even teemo could have been a black yordle.
Little do you realize that Teemo's skin color IS black, but his fur hides this from casual observation.