I suck and don't know how to improve

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Melvear

08-14-2012

with melee only champs, you have to wait for them to do the move. Once they make the mistake, you have to make your move and punish them.

BOXONYM

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by anti404 View Post
One thing I've noticed in my losses is that people don't want to set up/coordinate for ganks or team fights and instead simply push minions up to the windmill an infinite number of times regardless of odds or will roam mindlessly in the jungle. People also rarely shy away from facediving the windmill to backcap the opposing mid either.
Ganking bottom is something you can often do by yourself and can be successful. Try to locate the enemy players, and look for an opportunity when you know their bottom laner is alone, and ping that player so your bot laner can go in when you go in. Then go for their bottom turret. Even if you don't cap their bottom, it makes their team readjust to defend your gank, and often that readjustment can shake things up enough for your teammates top to do something.

Sometimes if your teammates are just roaming in the jungle and nothing you tell them (politely) can deter their roaming, the best bet you have is to tag along with them. If they are alone, they'll likely die alone. If you're with them, you may be able to 2v1 someone off guard and make the next half minute a 5v4, allowing you to cap a point.

If all 3 of your other top laners are pushing minions and going top, there are a couple good things to try. If you know they have 4 top defending, then you have a disadvantage generally. In a 4v4 like that, the team with the tower will usually win, so try not to take those odds. Instead, run quick to their mid point and try to neutralize it, drawing 1 or 2 of their players from top. Then try running top and the odds may be in your favor to cap top, or even run bottom quick for a gank.

One of the most important things to learn in Dominion is map awareness and a general awareness for where their team is. Backcapping at strategic times (like when you know they have 4 turtling top) can be the key to shaking their team coordination up enough to successfully grab a point.

In my experience (1300+ games), one of the most powerful strategies you can employ is to shake their team coordination up. The best ways to do that is to backcap (when you know where most of their team is located) and to gank bottom. Instead of sending 1 person to you, they often send 2. Especially if you're a champion that excels at 1v1 dueling.

jremmons

08-15-2012

I've tried incorporating these tips and although I'm not dying quite as often (but still die pretty often), the wins are still not coming. It seems like we never win the windmill fight and the rare times we do we near instantly lose it at the team's respawn.

People do one of two things if we successfully cap the windmill: push creeps to the enemy mid regardless of health or stand right on the windmill clicking in circles. Noone ever seems to want to gather up in the jungle/regain health at the windmill which often results in us getting pwned once the opposing team comes back in the jungle.

I also still seem to get caught and focused a lot. I tried playing amumu and did pretty well for the majority of the game but as soon as their bot switched we lost bot and our roaming DPS couldn't help gank bot(he kept dying 1v2 along with our bot laner) so I really don't know what to do.

I would try playing bot lane but I even lose with the popular OP champs (e.g. Jax and Darius) since I apparently do not know when to initiate. I feel like some games there's nothing I can do and in others I'm the reason I lose and that's a blah feeling.

weezcake

08-15-2012

Push creeps, and if the enemy can push them back really quickly (and you keep losing tower dive fights), backdoor their mid or gank bot lane! Contrary to popular belief, windmill isn't the only tower you can take.

Ragnaarock

08-15-2012

Not sure if it's been said before, but i would say watch some streams from dominate dominion or some streams linked over the forum. Or you can go to youtube and search dominatedominion and watch some old tournament games. See how the game is played, get a good picture of what to do in certain situations and how to react to different things.
First read this: http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=2244698
to learn what to look for and such.
Knowledge may translate into power but practice is needed too to make things instinctual.

Fabs457

08-16-2012

Try to avoid overextending and tower diving and if you do dive, be sure to secure at least 1 kill out of their group. For the most part in my losses I think people undervalue pushing creeps and farming. Even though dom for the most part is organized chaos, items can still push things in your favor when you get opportunities for 1v1 (usually for bds or ganks/protecting bot). Taking our their carry and not focusing the tank is pretty obvious but something people don't always do. I like and value the people who chose supports/tanks like Ali/Aminu, CCs can easily determine a teamfight even if you don't have numbers.

Melvear

08-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by jremmons View Post
I would try playing bot lane but I even lose with the popular OP champs (e.g. Jax and Darius) since I apparently do not know when to initiate. I feel like some games there's nothing I can do and in others I'm the reason I lose and that's a blah feeling.
I'll focus on this here since bot lane is where I am in about 80% of my games. Bot lane isn't quite about when to initiate, but more so a game of counters. I'm not specifically saying counterpicks, since that's nearly impossible to do now with draft queue being ungodly long. No, I'm talking about counter building and countering the enemy's strategy.

Counter building is fairly simple. All you need to do is build defense appropriate to the person you're playing against. You might not want to build the same items if you're playing against Jax, Caitlyn or Pantheon, despite them all being AD based. Thornmail is a great counter to auto attacking champions, such as caitlyn and jax, but not so great against bruisers and AD casters such as Pantheon, or champions stacking on hit effects. Randuin's Omen (and Warden's Mail, its component) and Frozen Heart are great against both regular AA champs, as well as champions stacking on hit effect. Randuin is also a great item against bruisers and AD casters, as it offers health, regen and armor, as well as a mean to great a gap between you and them after they've used their gap closer.
One very important thing about counter building: do NOT build straight defense. Having 3 defensive items+boots tailored to the enemy might make you a kind of brick wall, but if you can't hurt them back, they'll still tear you apart, it'll only take a bit longer.
One last thing: build some defense of the opposite type as well. Nothing major, just something that will make you not melt when you get ganked by Kassadin while laning against Xin.

Gotta get back to work, I'll edit this to include the part about countering enemy strategies when I get home.

spreadfred

08-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by anti404 View Post
(Irelia, Jax, Darius, Pantheon are my most played) ... I tend to be the tankiest/one of the tankiest champs on my team as true "tanks" and supports are rare sights, with most people picking AD/AP carries and caring little about team comp.
unfortunately, that is probably your problem. if your team has no other tank beside jax, darius, or pantheon, you probably are not going to enjoy much success. if you prefer tanky ad, and your teammates all pick squishy carries, you might want to try champs like jarvan, olaf, renek, or blitz, who are even tankier. (irelia is right on the edge of being able to work as the only "tanky" champ). the other 3 you listed only work if there is at least one other tanky champ on your team.

jremmons

08-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by spreadfred View Post
unfortunately, that is probably your problem. if your team has no other tank beside jax, darius, or pantheon, you probably are not going to enjoy much success. if you prefer tanky ad, and your teammates all pick squishy carries, you might want to try champs like jarvan, olaf, renek, or blitz, who are even tankier. (irelia is right on the edge of being able to work as the only "tanky" champ). the other 3 you listed only work if there is at least one other tanky champ on your team.
Honestly I think you are correct here. I know I'm not a great player since I'm still pretty bad about predicting when to initiate and dueling, but I think the team comp tends to be the reason our teams often fail super quickly. I was considering Jarvan but I'm not too sure how to build/play him.

@Melvear: thank you, I've been trying to counterbuild better. It still seems as if I'm always outpushed and facestomped really easily, e.g. yesterday I went bot as Jax and continuously got killed when I would engage or would get outpushed if I didn't engage as much.

to everyone not mentioned: I appreciate your help and am doing my best to incorporate your tips into my play.