[Mathcraft] Total IP Spending vs Total RP Spending

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

dissonancy

09-13-2010

I don't know if this thread or mathcraft of this topic has already been created, but I noticed that there are a lot of threads asking Riot why the majority of new champions are 6300 IP or, asking Riot to raise the IP gain per game. Here is some math regarding how much IP a player can spend MAXIMUM, assuming that they do not spend RP to buy runes, rune pages or champions.

Number of 450 IP Champions:6
Number of 1350 IP Champions:17
Number of 3150 IP Champions:24
Number of 6300 IP Champions:12

Total IP a player would spend in order to buy ONLY Champions: 176,850 IP

Now let's assume that the player would then buy a full set of Rune Pages with RP.

Total IP a player would spend in order to buy a full of Rune Pages: 44,100 IP

Now what if that player wanted to fill up those rune pages with different builds? For our purposes, we will assume that the player will buy only 420 IP T3 runes and 1025 IP Quintessances, and different ones for each page.

9 Marks(3780)
9 Seals (3780)
9 Glyphs (3780)
3 Quintessances(3075)
-------------------------------------
14415*9=129,735 IP total

Therefore, the highest possible amount a player could spend currently in IP is capped at 350,658 IP.

Now let's assume that the average LoL player only plays 2 games during the weekdays, but will play 4 games during the weekends. (I know it's a lot more) Not assuming any boosts, or events, or leaving streak bonuses and time bonuses.
A win is 100 IP, while the first win of the day bonus will give you 150 IP. Let's assume that he wins all the games, that would amount to 1750 IP for the weekdays and 1100 IP for the weekends, equaling 2850 IP in a week. According to this, a player would have to play around 124 weeks in order to earn enough to buy everything in this game in IP. (Around 2 and a half years)

Of course, very few players will ever buy an entirely new set of runes for each page, nor will they buy every single champion. However, what happens if Riot raises the IP to 200 IP per win, like many players have been asking?

The total time a player would have to play to buy everything is lowered to around 89 weeks of playing. (1 and a half year)

Can you see why Riot raising IP gains would be a bad idea? They reduced the average player time by around a year. Already, many players don't even spend RP on champions. The main attractions are on the skins, but no player will ever buy all the skins that Riot releases. The skins are just there to make you look pretty. A more practical player would only spend RP on runes, pages and/or IP boosts. Players that play alot have already bought all the champions they would want to own and all the runes they need. What happens to their IP?

It's sitting around not doing anything. When a 6300 IP champion is released, what happens? Would they pay RP for it when they have upwards of 10000 IP just sitting there doing nothing? Without the champion bundles released with each patch, a majority of players would find no incentive to pay RP for these new champions. By increasing the amount of IP gained per win, you worsen this situation, leading to a situation where the amount of players that have useless IP around increase at a greater rate than before.

And this is the point where things get dangerous. If Riot can't sell RP anymore because they try to include an IP pricetag in there that almost every player can aspire to reach, what do they do?

They remove the IP pricetag. Yes, they've done this with skins and boosts already, but they're not necessary to compete in the game. What is necessary to compete reasonably in this game then?

Stats and champions.

Of course, this would be selling power, which is "against Riot's policy", but I'm sure that in their eyes, selling power is a lot better than selling absolutely nothing at all.
---

TL;DR Raising IP gained per win is bad. More and more 6300 IP champions are released because they want to reduce the number of IP sitting around being useless.

NDAWE

09-13-2010

Everyone (even the ppls who can afford to spend money for RP) want IP increase per win but dude, if u can easy get IP why to spend money for the game.

No spending money for the game = no good work from RIOT - be sure of that.

So nvm how ugly and bad is it, leave it like is it, be hardcore, be Korean and farm !!!

Saffire

09-13-2010

A year and a half is still quite a bit of time, but I think you're also making a mistake in assuming that the average LoL player even plays every day, much less 2 per weekday and 4 per weekend day. That might be true of the average serious gamer, but I'd be surprised if the average overall player played more than 10 games per week. It's not feasible for many people to play every day, or to play as much as they want on days where they do. People like this are often going to be dropping cash on champions as IP is harder to come by when you don't play consistently.

dissonancy

09-13-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saffire View Post
A year and a half is still quite a bit of time, but I think you're also making a mistake in assuming that the average LoL player even plays every day, much less 2 per weekday and 4 per weekend day. That might be true of the average serious gamer, but I'd be surprised if the average overall player played more than 10 games per week. It's not feasible for many people to play every day, or to play as much as they want on days where they do. People like this are often going to be dropping cash on champions as IP is harder to come by when you don't play consistently.
That's true, but many players also play much more than 2 games a day and 4 games a weekday. Casual players are just that, they're casual. They're not going to want every single champion, and because of the fact that "they don't play all that much", the mentality that "why should I spend money on a game that I rarely play", also arises.

Etyn

09-13-2010

You cant buy runes with RP.

Other than that... good info.

dissonancy

09-13-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etyn View Post
You cant buy runes with RP.

Other than that... good info.
Where is that, I must have messed up. I meant that when they start wanting to sell RP exclusive stuff, the first thing that comes to mind are probably exclusive RP runes that give highest stats than normal IP runes.

Keyaithewarrior

09-13-2010

While the numbers themselves are interesting, its all fairly moot.

You can't, and shouldn't play this game for free. If you are, you are hurting the very thing you are investing you time and energy in. Not having money to pay for certain things in this game is not the same as blatantly asking Riot to give everything away.

Personally, I have spent over $300 on this game. I only buy Runes with IP. Champs, I buy with RP and I bought quite a few skins.

The more IP riot gives out, the less RP are bought. I want this game to stay alive, I want to protect my investment.

ben4zwin

09-13-2010

champions =/= power
just wanted to point that out

Honeslty thought there can still be 6300 champs but that should be reserved for the utmost in fancy spell things etc. (aka not galio, not misfortune, but YES to URGOT. He isn't good but he has very interesting spells and gameplay)