How to counter Jayce, solo top?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Trevorasaurus

08-13-2012

Having a little difficulty laning against Jayce, solo'ing top.

I get close, he knocks me back... ; I run away, he jumps and stuns me; he throws down the speed boost and launches his laser at me.

Anyone know an effective counter?

t3hep1cf47m4n

08-13-2012

i'm not going to go through every single melee solo top, so how about a lil help and say which champ(s) you're using.

for non-champion specific help:

your jungler

bait him into using his abilities near your bush. first go in for some melee harass ( so he blows his knockback ) then back off and wait for him to use his ranged combo, -then- go for the gank.

Trevorasaurus

08-13-2012

Usually I use either Riven or MANtheon.

t3hep1cf47m4n

08-13-2012

for riven, there's a few ways:

dash in (so you don't get that hurt by his knockback)
3-hit combo (either back to him landing your knockup, or use all 3 attacks if he walks to you)
stun
leave

3-hit combo in ( land next to him using your 3rd combo hit )
stun
dash out

get some auto attacks in while he's just standing there.

for MANtheon ( teehee, thought i was the only one who referred to him as that :P )

spear throw is really all you got, since all his abilities go through your shield. once you get him down to about 65-50%, then you can start using leap + flurry attack since he wouldn't want to stay and try to duke it out.

Trevorasaurus

08-13-2012

But when I face a good jayce with MANtheon, he runs, throws speed boost, turns around and blasts me, switching to melee, jumping on me while throwing up electric shield, when near death throwing me back into a nice grave..

Luxiere

08-14-2012

I've asked this question around a week ago and got some helpful answers.

One of them person who responded said When Jayce switches from Melee to ranged, his cooldown on returning back to melee is 6sec ish. He told me to use that time wisely since he can't knock you back.

Other info's I've found:

If Jayce is in ranged stance and tries to use that laser ball thing, stay behind minions if you can't dodge it well.

Lastly, most Jayce's usually pushes lanes (Most of the Jayce's I met really did push). So ganks would really help. Also, said check his items if he came with a ward, and check constantly if he used the ward or not. If he didn't, tell your jungler to gank. If he did, take note when or when he did so your jungler will be aware.

Etherimp

08-14-2012

I did well with Nasus versus him. He harassed me a lot, but I bought Cloth and 5 pots, went into lane and farmed my ass off. The only ability of his which hurt at all was his long ranged "nuke" that gets fired through the acceleration field. If I got nailed by one or two of those I would drink a potion.

His options are rather limited versus Nasus.. He either harasses you and eventually runs out of mana trying to do so, or he submits to the fact that it's a farm lane and farms for himself while you farm. Guess who's farm means more in the end? That's right.. Yours.

t3hep1cf47m4n

08-14-2012

no, you did well vs bads, and doing well vs bads doesn't mean anything.

vs nasus, it's all about leveling up that knockback and electric field ( which both do MAGIC damage ) and denying you creep farm by staying in melee mode and slamming you away when you go for the last hit.

also, his melee W has mana on hit, combined with very low mana costs, means he won't be without his abilities for long, so he really doesn't go "oom".

Quote:
But when I face a good jayce with MANtheon, he runs, throws speed boost, turns around and blasts me, switching to melee, jumping on me while throwing up electric shield, when near death throwing me back into a nice grave..
if he's all the way back there
and you're all the way out there
how does he catch up to you?
do you like...stand there and let him approach you?

Trevorasaurus

08-14-2012

I try and get in a few spear throws of course.

Toxic Leaves

08-14-2012

As a Jayce player, I can say Jayce is easily one of the hardest opponents to lane against. I'm not suprised this thread popped up, since again, he is a very hard top lane opponent. So, here's what I would suggest, in laning against him, from my expierence.

First of all, the only person I've met in lane that's countered me is Yorick. I'm just tossing that out there.

Personally, when I play Jayce, I use in melee, I use my Q, then knock them back with my E for general harass. Some players may argue it's easier to use E - Q to harass, maxing your Q first, but I personally max my E first. That being said, if the Jayce your laning against is using his melee E for most of his damage outputs, you would want to have some magic resist in your build. Even if the enemy team is all Physical. What a lot of people don't know about Jayce is his E does 20% of your heath (I believe, not sure on the stats) as magic damage, and some physical damage. So again, if the Jayce you're laning against uses E a lot, magic resist.

Also, I'm sure someone already said this, but once your Jayce goes into Ranged, his kit becomes a lot less versatile. Use that frame of time while he's in ranged to get some good damage, and back off, because the minute he switches to melee, you're going to be E'd to doom.

To conclude, for the most part Jayce will push your lane and you will be tower hugging a lot. So, ganks from your jungler are going to be extremely helpful. Especially if you're jungler has tons of CC, because if you're jungler is Warwick, and you're laning as, let's say, Fiora, by the time you guys do your damage, if the Jayce is tanky enough, he'll just use his speed buffs to run away, probably not even burning flash. So ganks are essential.

If you were too lazy to read that, here's the extremely short version of it:
-Melee E is dangerous, and it does magic and physical. Keep that in mind.
-Try to do your main damage output while he's in ranged mode.
-GANKS! Get that super Seljuani CC and gank him all game! SHUT HIM DOWN!
-Yorick is a pretty decent counter against him. (From expierence.)