Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Any tips on CSing?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

retched

08-14-2012

Are you having trouble with CSing in general or CSing with the other variables (e.g. support/AD bot lane poke, jungle ganks, etc.)? If you aren't sure:

1) Create a custom game, pick the champion you want to work on, and start CSing. Remember, last hits only! You can use spells to last hit as well for some champions such as Karthus, but the focus is to not miss any last hits.
2) If you have no problems with that, throw in a bot and repeat. The bot might try to harass you (poorly), balance harass and last hitting.
3) Since bots aren't very smart, capitalize on its mistakes and continue to CS. (e.g punish Nasus bot for walking up to you when you have a full creep wave damaging him.)

The "benchmark" in a normal game is about 100 CS every 15 mins. The custom games will likely be above that mark since there is less pressure, but this is a good target if you want to know where you stand.

Armageddal

08-14-2012

You don't always want to just take the very last hit. You need to learn to do what is known as "freezing the lane", which is where you match the amount your opponent is pushing and keep the minions in the same spot. Ideally you'll want to have it frozen near your turret, but not so close that the turret is shooting at minions. This will help protect you from ganks. If you're wanting to be offensive, then you'll want to try to push the lane to the enemy turret, forcing them to lose last hits to the turret.

As for last hitting on the turret, there are a few tricks (assuming you don't have any minions attacking the enemy minions - if you do, then it gets harder). At the very start of the game you can shoot a caster minion once, let the turret hit it, then shoot it again to finish it. Once you get enough damage, you can just let the turret shoot it once and then last hit it. For the melee minions, you'll want to let the turret hit them twice and then last hit. You'll still lose CS due to your minions dealing too much damage to an enemy minion, which will cause the patterns I mentioned to not work.

jerknut2020

09-03-2012

levels 1-29 are infinitely detrimental to the practice of csing as your masterys/ruens are always changing

MoreMedz

09-03-2012

Some tips:

- Take Offensive Masteries: Brutal Force + Butcher, as the extra damage bonus can help.
- Press "S" to stop moving and attacking, this is useful for controlling your attacking animation.
- Stand closer to the minions, even if you are ranged, because the missile has a shorter animation (travel distance). But do go back to safe distance after each kill.
- Don't be afraid use your abilities to last hit, but don't overdo it (so you run out of mp for the important fights). Where you have miscalculated and failed to kill the enemy, instead of waiting for AA delay, firing off an ability is sometimes quicker.
- Flat AD damage runes help (but avoid them if you are playing AP).
- You should only last hit, but if your laning opponent is basically actively trying to push the lane, i.e. trying to kill minions as fast as they can, then you will need to attack more to keep your lane from being pushed to the tower. Again, don't overdo it and end up pushing the lane.
- If your jungler is doing something else, sometimes you can just kill some creeps between waves to boost your income (wraith for mid, golem for bot etc).

Finally, last hitting is something you should develop as a reflex or instinctive action. This means that you shouldn't focus completely on it at anytime to the point where you lose your map awareness and positioning.

The Jade Fist

09-03-2012

As More Medz said, AD runes can help alot, even just 10 extra AD at the beginning gives you some extra room in timing your last hit, because often times with out that rune set i'll find myself hitting the minion now has 8 hp, and before i can hit again my minions finish it off.

Also, some items can be usefull to farm super good, like ionic spark, wriggles lantern, or straight AD / attack speed. A cheap items that helps you sustain, is wriggles its 1600 to make and gives a chance to deal a large amount of magic dmg to minions, plus gives you life drain, you can sell it back end game and upgrade to something like a blood thirster.

Ionic spark not as much as for easy of last hitting at first, but can help you clear a wave in seconds, and if you still time your hits well can get about almost all of the wave counted as last hits. Note don't get the spark until you plan to keep your lane pushed to either finish off to tower/ split pushing/ or pushing long enough to wander off to another lane to flank or something.

Higher attack speed, and higher attack damage, also makes last hitting easier, as in you bot hit harder, meaning you have a less precise point of their health that you need to hit from, and attack speed lets you hit several times, so maybe you can beat your minions to the next/ final hit.

If you're on a caster, tears of the goddess / upgraded into a archangles staff can help you use your skills almost with out having to worry about mana for several minutes, an as your skills hit much harder and even in aoe, will let you kill many more minions much faster.

Some champions have built in last hitting moves, like Annie, her Q refunds its mana when you last hit a minion with it, and it hits fairly decently hard, which makes last hitting with her pretty easy actually. Some skills such as the ones that say your next attack will do something/ dmg more, such as garen's Q, makes last hitting easier as well, if you can afford to use the skill.

beebzu

09-04-2012

I found this very helpful

http://www.lolpro.com/guides/game-play/166-game-play-guide-last-hitting

BD MIND TAP

07-13-2014

[QUOTE=Dewtrocity;28190504]I know that we are supposed to Last Hit the Creeps and not attack them at all until they are low enough health to one shot during laning stages but what about when the enemy pushes the Creeps by your Turret. I keep having trouble doing enough damage to the creeps to be able to kill them without the Turret doing so instead since the Turret can take them from about half health to dead which is something I can't do early game. I'm mostly talking about Bottom lane but I suppose this could happen at the other two as well.

Are there any tips on how to fix this?

Yeah, This may help. If your champion is good at taking the cs after a turret shot,(draven) You can let your lane get pushed that far in and be ok. Otherwise you lay enough damage to stop the wave . The down side with holding a big wave in your lane is that if you die, You lose gold and EXP! Some champions can attack once and than again after the turret hits and you get the cs in the early levels.