Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Support champion suggestions and tips?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Luxiere

08-13-2012

So I've finally decided to try supporting, and I did try with Blitzcrank, but I totally blew it.

Some support champions I have are Janna, Blitzcrank, Nidalee, Alistar, and Sona. I'm not that familiar with supporting and it honestly looked hard, so I'm starting from scratch. Currently, I have no idea when to ward for junglers, when to heal, when to harrass, and all the other things they do.

I would like suggestions for other support champions too. I honestly kinda like Soraka and Karma as my supports when I play, are they hard to use?

Also, is there a specific comp on supporting? I've heard Ashe-Soraka, Graves-Janna?.. are good. How do you know this? Also, what summoner spells are recommended?

Gabelous

08-13-2012

Support - Supporting the AD carry on bot by sustaining them (through heals/shields) or by helping them to secure kills and/or farm (crowd-control/zoning). But within that there are three "sub-types" of support.

Accepted - Usually these are Alistar, Sona, Soraka, Taric, etc. They have proper support abilities and their ranking up is significantly higher than most champions. This allows them to work effectively without a lot of income.

Tank - These usually include CC abilities and self-buff abilities. They usually don't heal as much but do better in securing/zoning the lane and generally the initiator for team fights. These generally include Leona, Alistar, Taric, Shen, etc.

AP - These are the ones you never see used. While they do have some or all of the general support abilities, the ranking to their spells are significantly lower so it is more difficult to support without much gold. Many times the more popular of these are played as mid AP carries, and if you try them as support you get reactions from confusion to disgust. These tend to include champions like Karma, Nidalee, Kaylee, Morgana, and Lux.

Generally you get GP10 items to give you more income during the game, and spells vary but the general ones are Clarity, Clairvoyance, Exhaust, and Heal.

GL with Karma, I have played her for a good while (6+ months) and you won't get much praise for it. She requires a lot more gold to do better than most supports, so bank on getting GP10 quints and seals (they are cheap). Most people don't play her at all so no one really knows what she is capable of. Mobafire has a ridiculously large comprehensive guide to her, but the support section is much smaller.

TeknoWizard

08-13-2012

First off. NEVER run Ashe Soraka. Ashe doesn't need the mana to spam that much, and that lane generates no offense. Just a really bad lane.

Secondly, the support you use is entirely dependent on your carry. You have a Graves? Try checking out a Sona or Janna. Vayne? Run Nunu, and have her attack stupidly fast. And worse come to worse, just ask the AD what they support would like. But I class them like this:
Offensive Engage: Taric, Alistar, Leona, Blitzcrank
Offensive Poke: Lulu, Sona
Defensive Babysitting: Janna, Sona, Nunu, Soraka
Defensive Healing: Soraka, Sona

Third. Buy your wards BEFORE you buy your items. Believe me when I say that those three wards are FAR more important than your Philo stone.

Hermesium

08-13-2012

Support is protecting your AD Carry at lane to farm.
Try to stick with your AD Carry all time in order to get experience point to ungrade your level.
Also, don't get any of the last hit. (but if your AD Carry have back to base, of course you can take some but don't push the lane)

during game, because you canot get cs, therefore you have to get some gold per 10 items like Philiospher Stones, Heart of Gold and Lucky Pick.

Canadían

08-13-2012

Supports vary in difficulty, but mainly have one goal: Protect the AD carry.

Best supports for this are Janna, Alistar and Lulu

Some supports excel in killing the enemy AD carry

Best supports are Leona, Taric, Blitzcrank

Others are better at healing and harassment, but not actual tanking/killing

These are Soraka and Sona

There are other viable supports but those are the most common.

tl;dr PICK TARIC FREE ELO LOL

angryWelchMan

08-13-2012

most supports build the same way most of the time
Fiere Charm, three wards, three pots
then Philo stone and more wards
Boots of speed
Heart of Gold
Second Tier boots (This various the most by champ)
Agies of the Legion
then upgrade Philo to Shureyla's
and HOG either way generally Randuins
and u probably wont get a fifth item

most important is to buy 5 wards every time u go back(except maybe the first time) and whenever possible after mid game get oracles

legionof1

08-14-2012

On warding: the 3 initial key locations for warding are the upper left edge of the river bush in the brush, and each sides respective tri-bush. These 3 points are where junglers or roamers will most likely enter to threaten your carry. This early waring is crucial to help guard the carry and preserve escape tools.

From the 6-8 minute mark it is very helpful to place wards to cover dragon. I place this ward either in the small round bush near mid or in the middle of the river directly outward from the entrance to the dragon pit.
The round bush often spots the beginning of a dragon attack as the mids move down their near ramp to assist as well as being the most common dragon bait point. The mid river ward on the other hand is faster to deploy if your support is on the slow side(sona, taric)
and offers similar coverage.

From 18 min onward at least one ward to cover baron in some fashion either in the pit or on the ramps or upper round bush. Ideally your jungler helps with this warding but you may end up on your own.

Also pay attention to which way your lane tends to push. If you are pressed into your own tower your tri bush and and the brush adjacent the near buff become the key points to ward. If your even often the single near river bush ward will suffice. pushed into the enemy tower you need your tri brush as well as ward coverage farther up river to have the warning to prevent a gank.

Also pay attention to the enemy jungle pick. A fast moving or tanky jungler like Alistair, maokai, or nocturne may try ganks from in the rear of your lane or form their own lane. Adjust your placement for these junglers.

Blitz, taric and Alistair, and to a lesser degree lux played as support also deserve addtional warding in the side brush for maximum safety as these support champs can easily separate you and your carry.

I Love Slurpees

08-14-2012

Just have your adc play urgot and then you have no need to support, he does it by himself

mnun

08-15-2012

My only supports are Blitz and Ali. I usually start fairie charm + 3 wards + 2pots of choice.

When using ali i keep up with the heals and make sure the adc stays in lane. With blitz just stay in the brush and zone out their adc, make sure they don't get any cs. If they get too risky a rocket grab will make sure they don't try it again.

The one thing I hate about Blitz is, if you miss one of you grabs, you get tons of **** from both teams. Even if you hit 9/10 grabs, you're still gonna get *****ed out a little. The grabs you do hit are so rewarding! With blitz, warding where enemies don't expect a grab in their face is great as well.