How about instituting a feature from ....someone else..

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Damoklese

09-13-2010

So no one likes leavers. They are punks and need to be punched in the neck.

Well, there is this cool feature that would be great if it was implemented in LoL. basically, when you disconnect from the game, a timer starts counting down for you. Say...5 minutes.

If you do not reconnect before that 5 minutes is up, you are blocked from re-entering the game. If you come back before the 5 minutes is up and then disconnect again, it will start counting down from wherever it left off before.

Here is the cool part. Any gold and items that the leaver had are then given to his team.

The issue I see with this is that you cant just have the items drop on the ground at the fountain and let the teammates pick it up. At least I dont think you can since I havent seen any indication that LoLs engine would allow for this. So instead of actually letting the leaver's teammates get the items.. you could have the leaver's items sold back to the vendor at cost, and then the proceeds evenly distributed amongst the remaining teammates.

The great part about this feature is that it gives the now weakened team a little bit of a monetary boost to hopefully give them a fighting chance.

tl;dr Give leavers 5 minutes to come back. If they dont come back sell their items at cost and distribute the money amongst their teammates.

Sir Cowdog

09-13-2010

I could see a strategy where a premade team has one person intentionally disconnect in order to give their team an early boost to gold and items and exp or something. You might laugh, but someone WOULD do it.

Runeterran

09-13-2010

If by "at cost" you mean the value of purchasing the item from the shop, then I agree with this idea 99%. Even if at sell value, I am 95% behind you on this. The only part I don't agree with is that leavers don't need to be punched in the neck. **** happens, sometimes. Yeah, chronic leavers absolutely should be smacked upside the head or punched in the neck.

My only concern is that this idea does give rise to exploitation to a degree. The reward to the team vs. the penalty for the leaver who's going to leave anyway isn't a good scaling. A system that prevents (or greatly penalizes people as a result of) abusing this is required in tandem, I think.

Edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Cowdog View Post
I could see a strategy where a premade team...
Apply it only to solo queue. I think the idea comes from a solo queue perspective. But I could be wrong.

FailPatrol

09-13-2010

Look OP, if you are disconnected and you can't reconnect before your 5 min, would you be happy to receive the error message saying you are too late to reconnect and your team already got all your items to sell them to vendors. I would not be happy with that, op. What about you ?

DrBeach

09-13-2010

its a freaking good idea

makes the problem of leavers... less

Runeterran

09-13-2010

@FailPatrol: I think the time parameter is something which could be subject to debate, couldn't it? But what do you think of the actual idea itself?

Unrelated: Maybe I should let OP speak for himself, lol.

Damoklese

09-13-2010

Well this feature is already in HoN and works fine there. You dont see people disconnecting because it is understood that the BETTER strategy is for the support champs to cater to the carry champs. So the carries are already getting fed plenty of gold and dont need the support guys to leave the game to give them more.

Also.. more money is still not as good as having a full 5 man team. Any competitive team will put having 5 players above having a bit more gold.

FailPatrol

09-13-2010

Simply give more gold if the leaver left for more than 5 minutes. It would solve the problem.

Damoklese

09-13-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runeterran View Post
@FailPatrol: I think the time parameter is something which could be subject to debate, couldn't it? But what do you think of the actual idea itself?

Unrelated: Maybe I should let OP speak for himself, lol.
Nah you are cool

Sure the time frame could be tweaked to fit LoLs play speed.

Quote:
Look OP, if you are disconnected and you can't reconnect before your 5 min, would you be happy to receive the error message saying you are too late to reconnect and your team already got all your items to sell them to vendors. I would not be happy with that, op. What about you ?
Basically.. **** happens sometimes, and if your power goes out or something wonky happens to your connection and you get disconnected for more than 5 minutes...while I understand you being disappointed that you got a leave and are locked out of the game.. the fact of the matter is that your team is better off having the gold that they got when you got locked out, rather than having you coming into the game 7-8 levels below everyone else and getting targeted by the enemy team as an easy kill.

So its one of those situations where if you arent a leaver but a victim of circumstance, your just gonna have to shrug it off and accept that the game works better for everyone else when you arent allowed to reconnect. Think of it as a sacrifice that legitimate players have to make in order to protect themselves and others from leavers.

Runeterran

09-13-2010

This will also have the wonderful side effect of dramatically decreasing the likelihood of an auto-loss as a result of 4v5. It leaves the team at a staggered challenge, but offers a legitimate incentive to fight harder. I really do love this idea. Its a big step in the right direction.