New Item: Caustic Cleaver

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Dr Pwnage PhD

08-12-2012

Hey guys and girls,

I've posted this on Reddit too, but I'd like to get as much feedback on the idea as possible hence my re-post here

For a while now many people have been expressing the desire to widen the 'viable' build choices for many champions. However, certain roles - AD carry for example - are very much ingrained with a specific set of items as nothing else comes close to being as powerful. I think some new items are needed to accomplish this, the first of which should be a combined ArmPen and MagPen item, introducing the Caustic Cleaver!

For a long time now I've had a love hate relationship with the Brutaliser, I think it is a really fantastic item for early-mid game on numerous champions and in several roles. However, it ONLY builds into Ghostblade, which has almost no place in most late game builds, 90% of the time, if I don't buy Pickaxe instead I soon sell my Brutaliser for a Last Whisper anyway! It is past time to change that and give everyone some more flexible and viable choices. I know Xypherous is looking into itemisation a lot at the moment and I would love for him to see this and comment.

What I propose for this new item is something like - the numbers would need to be balanced properly of course, these are just guestimates - Caustic Cleaver --> Builds from Brutaliser (25 AD, 15 ArmPen, 10% CDR) and Hextech Revolver (40 AP, 12% SV) with a combination cost of - roughly - 600 gold to give you a Caustic Cleaver! (30 AD, 50 AP, 25% ArmPen, 25% MagPen, 15% CDR, 15% SV)

The idea being that this is a viable - if expensive - 'hybrid' item, which would make some new builds possible and plug some gaps for certain champions which are currently considered 'low tier' or uncompetitive.

I'm well aware that the numbers might not be perfect, but I'd appreciate peoples thoughts on this item as a concept and how they might see it affecting the game, the meta and their favourite champions.

TL;DR: New item proposal, Caustic Cleaver: Recipe - Brutaliser (25 AD, 15 ArmPen, 10% CDR) and Hextech Revolver (40 AP, 12% SV) combination cost of 600 gold. Stats - (30 AD, 50 AP, 25% ArmPen, 25% MagPen, 15% CDR, 15% SV). Designed to make 'hybrid' builds more viable and mixed damage champions transition better into late game.

Let me know what you think!

Cheers

P.s. If Xypherous happens to pass by this thread I'd love to hear what you think of the concept of a 'hybrid' penetration item.

TeknoWizard

08-12-2012

There is an item discussion forum that I shall direct you to good sir.

Dr Pwnage PhD

08-12-2012

Oo thanks! Is it possible to move this there?

Treza

08-12-2012

pretty decent looking item, i know id love it on jax

WeasuhL

08-12-2012

What champions do YOU expect will use this? Just curious.

LeefAaronsen

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-12-2012

Kayle would love this item.

Ohasis

08-12-2012

I don't pretend to know anything about item balancing, but I can imagine a lot of hybrids just taking this item and gunblade 100% of the time to have 35% SV

Dr Pwnage PhD

08-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeasuhL View Post
What champions do YOU expect will use this? Just curious.
I think there are a few where it could be a direct replacement to Last Whisper, mainly ADCs, such as Corki, Ezreal, Kog'Maw, Teemo, Varus and maybe even Tristana. But it could also work on many bruisers like Hecarim, Irelia and Garen to name a few. To be honest, there are probably a lot of champions and maybe even builds that this item could make more viable. Probably many more than the ones I play personally, that's why I'm hoping for feedback from you

Dr Pwnage PhD

08-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohasis View Post
I don't pretend to know anything about item balancing, but I can imagine a lot of hybrids just taking this item and gunblade 100% of the time to have 35% SV
Yep, this was my main concern as a potential for abuse too, if it did work out to be too strong they could always be made not to stack or simply reduce the amount gained from Caustic Cleaver. Wouldn't want to break champs like Akali and Jax again!

Shardicus

08-13-2012

3137g overall, right? I'd build it on Kayle, sure. But with 25% Armor and Magic Penetration and 15% Cooldowns and Spell Vamp, it might be a little too much. The price might have to be raised, or the stats might have to be lowered a little. Still sounds cool, though.