Tides of Blood + Spell Vamp

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Heat n Serve

09-13-2010

I bought a Hextech Revolver on Vladmir but couldn't get Tides of Blood casts on enemy targets to give me spell vamp healing. Those little green numbers that we all get to see when spell vamp works as intended were nowhere to be found.

Unless Tides of Blood was intentionally coded to not apply spell vamp from items, this is a bug.

Khalahn

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-13-2010

Much like Mordekaiser, Vlad just has issues with not benefitting from spell vamp. Probably a balancing thing, since they both gain health from spells (even if Mord's is ablative).

Heat n Serve

09-13-2010

If it is purely for balance reasons, then a statement from Riot confirming this would be nice. Red post please?

RiotStatikk

QA Analyst

09-13-2010
1 of 1 Riot Posts

It's working fine. The reason you're not seeing the green numbers is that the numbers are so small that they are not breaking the floating text's threshold.

You had 15% Spell Vamp, each unit hit by E is treated separately, and AE spells do a % of your Spell Vamp.

Heat n Serve

09-14-2010

Thanks... but hextech revolver is 10% spell vamp, and AE spells do 1/3, iirc.

What is the value of the threshold for the float text? If I hit 3 units with a spell so that the spell vamp exceeds this threshold, will I see 3 separate floats, or 1 float displaying the total spell vamp? Does each float have to exceed this threshold, or just the total from all targets hit with the spell cast?

Sorry for the extra questions, but I just want to be sure. I've hit minions with other AE spells and had no problem observing the spell vamp effect. In the case of killing minions as Cho-gath, the spell vamp seemed to be added on to the health gained from his passive and displayed as a single number.

Caskaziom

01-03-2011

@ heat n swerve
if you use tied of blood and hit, lets say, 6 minions, you get spell vamp for each, but its 33% spell vamp. the reason it doesnt break the text threshold is because the numbers come up seperately. if you recieve 15 health from each, it wont say "90" it would say "15, 15, 15, 15, 15, 15" and that doesnt pop up, even if youre getting healed

Commander Amaro

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

01-03-2011

I just came from a match against a Vlad that had spell vamp and I think the only time I saw it working quite well was when he used his pool

PhailRaptor

Adjudicator

01-03-2011

To expand on Statikk's description...

Spell Vamp has an effectiveness penalty when applied to AoE spells. So that 15% on Revolver is reduced to 1/3, or 5% of AoE damage, per target. When it heals you, Spell Vamp also treats each target hit by a single spell as a separate target. If you hit 5 targets, it does not add the value from each target into a total value that it heals you. It processes each amount individually.

As an example, Vlad uses level 5 Tides of Blood on 6 targets while holding a Revolver and nothing else. Tides does 180 (+18 from AP) damage to each of those 6 targets. Ignoring MR, the total damage is 1188. But each individual target only takes 198. Since it's an AoE spell, Spell Vamp heals for the reduced amount of 5% of the damage, as opposed to the whole 15%. If each targets take 198 damage, 5% of that is 9.9 health restored to Vlad from each of them. The total health restored is 59.4 health. But Spell Vamp returns the health from each target separately, which is only 9.9 health. This is under the threshold for the text display, so it does not fire to show you how much health you receive per target.

It's working as intended.