Last Whisper priority?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ninjerk

09-13-2010

I mostly play melee champs atm.

I have yet to buy it (heard something about its mechanics getting changed to make it worse?) in any game. Where is it in terms of importance relative to other physical DPS items?

HereToRelax

09-13-2010

It's a great item.

Attack speed, a little damage and massive armor penetration, what's not to like? It's a nice item especially for those who need some attack speed yet who don't wanna get Malady (lolu) or Stark's (too expensive).

IMLOwl

09-13-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjerk View Post
I mostly play melee champs atm.

I have yet to buy it (heard something about its mechanics getting changed to make it worse?) in any game. Where is it in terms of importance relative to other physical DPS items?
Getting a damage item or two first is more important. First, it takes time for your enemy to build enough armor where you feel the need to get an item to penetrate it. Secondly, if your attacks are doing middling base damage, armor pen is going to help them much. You don't need it if you aren't facing a team that is using armor.

Irelia Hate Puns

09-13-2010

Brutalizer THEN Last Whisper.
THEN Brutalizer into Ghostblade.
THEN Infinity Edge.

OR Infinity Edge ASAP if fed.

dutin

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-13-2010

Farm hard, feed off bads, get Infinity edge, then worry about arpen. Depending on ur runes, im typically at 35 with no items, u could get Brut. then turn it into Ghostblade

SlyGoat

09-13-2010

If you don't have armor penetration runes, get it right after your first big DPS item (infinity edge, typically, or sometimes Bloodthirster. if you're going a bloodrazor build you probably don't want/need the armor penetration so much.)
If you have armor penetration marks but not quints, you should usually get it right after your first big DPS item, but if nobody on the enemy team has over ~60 armor it's not worth it, get more damage and wait to see if they get more.
If you have armor penetration marks and quints, you're normally better off getting a brutalizer->ghostblade instead. Against enemies with over 100 armor last whisper is still a good investment though.

For the armor levels I'm not just talking about the tank, unless the enemy has more than one high armor tank or their tank is getting particularly hard to handle, in which case you should always buy last whisper.

edit: Also, ghostblade + stark's is a much better combo for melee IMHO, except (again) against multiple high armor enemies, E.G. tank teams, or if the biggest threat on the enemy team is a fed high armor tank (if they're high armor and high HP but low magic resist, bloodrazor becomes a better option in most cases). Ghostblade/starks combo is much more situational on ranged champions, and they usually benefit more from last whisper (which makes sense, 'cause ghostblade is a sword and last whisper is a bow, right?)

Ninjerk

09-13-2010

Since we're still here, when is Bloodthirster > IE?

SlyGoat

09-13-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjerk View Post
Since we're still here, when is Bloodthirster > IE?
I don't personally believe BT is ever better than IE, but some of the Tristana players I know swear by it as a first item. IE is an absurdly strong item, and again, especially on a melee champion since it synergizes so well with Ghostblade. Getting a BT after Infinity Edge is fine, though, provided you don't need more armor pen.

The Bad Lamb

09-13-2010

how about you do the math
why are people so lazy

Treelub

09-13-2010

It's good for high armor opponents, because it's Armor Penetration by a percentage.