Rammus support

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

PogoPogoPogoPogo

08-12-2012

So... maybe I'm an idiot and maybe this is a terrible idea, but I've been thinking about trying Rammus support, and I need someone to tell me it's a bad idea.

First off, bottom lane is typically AD Carry + support. Rammus is strongest against AD champs, so putting Rammus in bottom lane as support can potentially work to shut down the AD carry. His taunt will help secure kills for his fellow AD Carry, additionally his ult works great for securing tower kills, even if it does steal some minion kills from the next incoming wave.

Now, I'm not saying Rammus is some OP choice for bottom lane support, but in draft pick and ranked, suppose the enemy has picked an AD solotop, an AD jungler, and of course their AD carry. That leaves them with their support, who typically isn't dishing out a lot of damage, and their AP carry mid. The AP carry mid would be the only one that would scare Rammus at all, but typically AD carries are scarier late game anyway. And even if Rammus doesn't shut them down in laning phase, the armor he has built plus his taunt and W (and a thornmail) could easily shut down the AD carry in the mid and late game.

Am I right? Or is this a terrible idea?

NewRelicspet

08-12-2012

Erhm... Most of your argument was just about having Rammus in the team. If the enemy got a pure AD team almost, then yes Rammus is a good option.

When it comes to Rammus support... Any champion can be played as "support". And sure, I guess you could go Rammus support. The great question is if it would be a waste of potential.

thepantsparty

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-12-2012

It's mostly but not completely terrible; there are better supports and he's better in the jungle.

PogoPogoPogoPogo

08-12-2012

Well obviously a Rammus pick is pretty much just going to happen when the enemy has picked AD heavy. But I don't think solotop really works for him, so he jungles. But I think he's a mediocre jungle at best.

Like think about this, suppose someone on your team picks Nunu or Alistar as support with one of the first few picks. Then the enemy takes a few champs, looks AD heavy. Then later in the team, you take Rammus, run Rammus support and Nunu or Alistar jungle.

Gnarzard

08-12-2012

It's worth trying out right? Seems pretty viable to me I mean its a kill lane bot. Charge up your q to ram into their ad carry then taunt with your shield up while your ad carry punishes them.

If you do run it I would say max taunt first

Cenerae

08-13-2012

You'll have a hard time making any plays as a support rammus. Enemy will ward the brush and you'll never be able to taunt them in lane unless they come to you, or if flash is ready.

Doesn't matter that he has powerball, they just have to back up when they see him charging.

thepantsparty

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by PogoPogoPogoPogo View Post
Like think about this, suppose someone on your team picks Nunu or Alistar as support with one of the first few picks. Then the enemy takes a few champs, looks AD heavy. Then later in the team, you take Rammus, run Rammus support and Nunu or Alistar jungle.
Rammus in the jungle and one of those supporting is still a better option. Rammus won't have enough farm as a support to be a useful tank, and by putting him in bot lane you're losing out on his ability to gank.

Warrrrax

08-13-2012

Props for thinking outside the box and all, but honestly...Its terrible bro. The only reason rammus is 'good' vs AD carry is because he will likely get thornmail, and his auto-damage return will be slightly higher due to the higher AS of a lategame carry. Early game, everyone pretty much does the same damage on autoattack and same slow attack speed.

Rammus literally has ZERO range which is a huge problem. Remember, the support will WARD the bottom bushes if needed for poke warz. So you cant expect to hide in the bush and engage.

With your zero range, all you are is a non-healing punching bag. The enemy ADC and ranged support will happily peck at you all day long forcing you to B and use tons of pots.
Even the melee supports like Alistar,Taric can occasionally toss out a stun or headbutt and theres nothing you can do about it.

You cant even wind up powerball in bushes and zoom out to engage. Due to wards, they will see you. A 1 sec taunt isnt enough to do much anyways, and they will flash out of even a perfect engagement.

Rammus also sucks endgame as a support tank. He has no initiation ability when underfarmed without just feeding unlike Blitz and Alistar. Even taric has the longrange stun.

adhlas

08-27-2012

What about Rammus support with Boots of Mobility and some roam (paired with an AD carry who can farm relatively safely at a distance or can survive 1v2, like Ez, Corki, or Urgot)?

BarrSupport

08-27-2012

Any decent player could take advantage of rammus bot lane.

He needs gold, he would be easy to harass, and he can't heal or shield. Even if he tried to roll to start a fight, most supports would be able to knock him away or speed up away. (ali knockback, blitz knock up. taric stun, lulu polymorph, janna nado, soraka silence, etc)