Garen's late game is fine.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

yuah

08-12-2012

Another nice feature of Garen also is immune to ganks other then by lee sin for about the whole lane phase.

Etherimp

08-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by powwder View Post
I'm sorry I didn't know similar ment exactly the same. I thought similar would work because all of their moves work the same way with the same mechanic but just a different effect. Like garens q and darius w both refreshing his swing timer, doing extra damage. Or garens w and darius e both having a passive effect along with an active that supplements its passive. Or garens e ans darius q both doing aoe physical damage. oh and their ults both ment to finish enemies but darius can refresh his.ult and it does true damage instead of magic.damage.

You seem to miss the part where I say garen falls off late game because of weak damage and no cc.....darius doesn't have that problem.
Yeah, he kind of does. Most tanky-dps fall off late game. That's the bi-product of buying defensive items. As tanks buy more defensive items and carries buy more damage items, your damage doesn't have nearly the impact it did early game, and your tank is not nearly as strong as it was in mid game.

This is okay. It's not Garen's job to carry late game. It's his job to be indestructible and force carries out of fights. Same goes for Darius. Garen is a great counter-pick to certain top lanes, and he has a VERY strong early game by most standards. He can turn Akali into fluffy kill-bait. He can make Nasus a mewling little pup. He can shut down Mordekaiser faster than you can say "hue hue hue". He can give Riven a run for her money. Of course, most of these champs are NOT super-common top picks and certain top picks (Such as Riven or Yorick) do much better versus a wider variety of common picks.

That said, Darius has problems in the laning phase of his own. Sure, his damage is great, but he can be countered just as easily as any other champ. He has no escape and no sustain. As such, he's forced to build tanky late game otherwise he bites the dust hardcore.

Darius's ult is stronger than Garens because it's true damage and refreshes. This much is true. Darius has overall better damage output on his abilities.. This is true as well. But again, Darius doesn't "do everything Garen can do, but better". Both picks are situational upon what you're up against and what your team needs.

Need to be an immovable object in top lane that transitions into midgame to become a tower-diving maniac? Pick Garen.

Need a dunkmaster cleanup artist that will deal consistent true damage throughout the game? Pick Darius.

Darius is better if your team is otherwise quite beefy... A "true tank" like Amumu, Alistar, Shen or Rammus, for example.

Garen however can soak a lot more, has a better initiate, and is more difficult to kite.

As with most things in LoL, it's a trade-off.

I know this is all very long-winded, and I apologize for that.. but my point is: THEY'RE APPLES TO ORANGES.

PogoPogoPogoPogo

08-12-2012

Darius ult will do more damage to squishy and players with low total health pools than Garen. That is to say, Darius can kill these players at a higher percentage of health than Garen.

Garen, on the other hand, can kill champions with large health pools with his ult easier than Darius. I'd say if the enemy team has 2 or more tanky champions that will have large health pools, Garen is a better option than Darius as an off-tank. You still need a true tank on the team though.

Fallenzoul

08-12-2012

Hes just hard to kill but he cant do the same Damage Of other Bruisers/Solotops, Like Riven Yorick Darius ETC

hahausuck1234

10-01-2012

Everyone that says Garen can't do damage are noobs i killed 3 champions all at once with garen i build him all out offense i got 22kills one time

KingAgathos

10-01-2012

Garen's damage is nice, isn't a combo 1 shotter, but still. He has a 4.7 AD ratio with his full spin. That combined with his bonus damage on his abilities of 490 and his ult doing 40% of their missing health in damage means that if he can get them down to 28.5% of health with his initial combo they will die to his ult. Even with an average amount of MR because of the ult's base damage of 525.

With no MR, his ult will 1 shot anyone at 28.5% of health before the base damage.