[Guide] statikk's Take on Dr. Mundo, the Madman of Zaun

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

RiotStatikk

QA Analyst

09-12-2010
1 of 2 Riot Posts

*** These are all my personal thoughts and opinions and in no way reflect the opinions/ideas of Riot or The Council. ***

Hey LoL community,

With the new buffs to Mundo and the super epic legendary Corporate Mundo skin coming out, I decided I should take a quick look at him this week. Here's my take on Mundo!

Once again I advise you to at least read my article "Know Your Role" first before taking a look at any of my other stuff and to always check out the Runeterra versions of these articles/guides as they are a lot easier to read.

Good luck out there on the battlefields summoners!

Current Compendium of statikk's Guides:

Know Your Role: Runeterra or LoL Forums
Kassadin, the Voidwalker: Runeterra or LoL Forums
Udyr, the Animal Spirit: Runeterra or LoL Forums
Dr. Mundo, the Madman of Zaun: Runeterra or LoL Forums
Sona, the Maven of the Strings: Runeterra or LoL Forums
Vladimir, the Crimson Reaper: Runeterra or LoL Forums

Let me preface this by saying that these are only my personal suggestions and recommendations. Feel free to add your own spice to the mix as guides should not be treated as infallible rulebooks but rather should be taken as mental starting points that provoke analytical thought.

Dr. Mundo, the Madman of Zaun

Spells

Infected Cleaver (Q)

Burning Agony (W)

Masochism (E)

Sadism (R)

Adrenaline Rush (Passive)

Suggested Role - Ganker / Semi-Carry / Tank (Initiator)

At first glance most people think Mundo's strength lie in his Tanking capabilities due to how health stacking synergizes with Sadism and his passive Adrenaline Rush, but in actuality his biggest strength is his early game damage output. With Cleaver spam and insane early game autoattack damage from Masochism, Mundo is undoubtedly one of the strongest early / mid game threats even with little in the way of items.

Being such an early game presence, Mundo is well-suited for a solo lane where he can dominate and control most opponents not only easily outfarming them but also being capable of drawing first blood and more. Mundo also has the potential to jungle and set up vicious ganks with slows from both Cleavers and Red Lizard buff followed by his insane damage output.

This is not to say Mundo is a weak Tank because he definitely has his merits in that department. He's great at taking the brunt of most bursts and then using his spells to escape and regen back up to get back in the fray. Burning Agony's CC reduction is also key to his success in this department. The only reason Mundo cannot truly fulfill the Tank role as effective as other champions is that he has no strong CC.

Mundo's largest weakness is his lack of team fight presence. Mundo is a champion that thrives on 1 on 1 duels and small skirmishes but his single target damage and susceptibility to large bursts become a liability in large team fights. Without any large AE or reliable CC, Mundo is relegated to a decoy at best in most (late game) team fights. The only way to remedy this is to take advantage of the early and mid game to build up a large level and item edge. Mundo is very much a snowball type champion that can easily fall off the map if not played or allowed to play correctly.

Lastly, Mundo can somewhat play a Pushing role as he has high phyiscal damage output to wreck towers and the means to escape from the ensuing chases that can come up.

Runes

Marks of Desolation (armor penetration)
Seals of Evasion (dodge)
Glyphs of Focus (cooldown reduction)
Quintessences of Fortitude (health)

Armor Penetration allows you to deal silly amounts of damage early on with low armored targets. Dodge competes perhaps with health per level runes but if you are going for Nimbleness in Defense Mastery dodge just has too much good synergy. Cooldown reduction allows Mundo to keep up the pressure giving him the freedom to use Sadism for continued map presence, exploit the utility of Cleaver spam, and keep Masochism up when it's needed. Health Quints allow you to be extremely aggressive early on especially in a 1v1 situation.

Summoner Spells

Smite: if you plan on jungling
Ghost/Flash: increased mobility to help finish kills or escape sticky situations
Ignite: great for aggressive early play to finish ganks / kills

My personal preferences are Ghost and Ignite or Ghost and Smite if I'm jungling.

Masteries

21 points in Offense (notable points: Sunder, Brute Force, Lethality, Havoc)
9 points in Defense (notable points: Nimbleness)

Offense gives him the extra early game damage to dominate opponents. The other 9 points can honestly go to whatever you want.

Do not forget to grab upgraded summoner spells if possible.

Spell Build Order

Sadism > Masochism > Infected Cleaver > Burning Agony

Grab Infected Cleaver at level 1 for the slow and harass potential. Maxing Masochism first is key as its flat scaling allows your autoattacks to rip things apart in the early and mid game. Also I like to put an early point into Burning Agony primarily for the CC reduction. Maxing Cleaver next is the only logical option, of course taking Sadism whenever possible.

Item Suggestions

In my experience, there are two primary ways of building Dr. Mundo: pure damage or battle-tank. One build that I will not go into detail here is the pure Tank build which involves Spirit Visage and for the most part a bunch of Sunfire Capes. Although it is a workable build there are just so many other champions that can pull off the same build with more effectiveness.

The first build concentrates on pure physical damage output with a focus on early physical damage stats (ie: critical strike, armor penetration, attack speed) that will help supplement the bonus attack damage from Masochism. An early Visage is great for giving Mundo sustainability and synergizes extremely well with Sadism. As with any real Mundo build, this must be played very aggressively especially in the laning/jungling phase.

Pure Damage Build:

Doran's Shield - Spirit Visage - Berserker's Greaves - Youmuu's Ghostblade - Stark's Fervor - Infinity Edge

The second build focuses on balancing his tanking capabilities with damage output. This is a much more viable build if your team lacks strong initiation or if you know you will be easily focus fired. Once again, early Visage is a perfect item for Mundo as it gives you the cooldown reduction to use your moves often while also offsetting the amount of health they drain through regen.

Battle-Tank Build:

Doran's Shield - Spirit Visage - Boots of Swiftness - Frozen Mallet - Atma's Impaler - Stark's Fervor

One thing to never forget is to counter your enemies’ item choices and team composition. Sometimes it is necessary to veer from your intended build in order to perform at maximum potential. Do not neglect item choices such as Ninja Tabi, Sunfire Cape, and Randuin's Omen against a physical-heavy team or Force of Nature against a magic-heavy team. Also note that defensive options such as Aegis of the Legion or Guardian Angel can fit perfectly well into any of these builds. Mercury's Treads is also key to victory against any team with strong CC capabilities. Lastly, if healing reduction debuffs (ie: Ignite) are a big problem Quicksilver Sash can be the answer.

Notable Situational Items:

Ninja Tabi - Sunfire Cape - Randuin's Omen - Mercury's Treads - Force of Nature - Aegis of the Legion - Guardian Angel - Quicksilver Sash

Note: Remember, be flexible and adapt. There's no need to strictly follow any set build. Mix and match in order to find something that suits both the situation as well as your playstyle.

Miscellaneous Tips

• Learn to gauge when to use Sadism - be weary of getting too low especially against a high burst team
  • Use Cleavers to scout out areas such as Dragon or brush
  • Remember that Mundo is the most dangerous when he is at low health so never be afraid to stick around and finish a kill if you know you will be safe to retreat afterwards
  • Watch for enemy Ignites as well as other sources of healing reduction as they hard counter Mundo
  • Remember to have Burning Agony activated before you enter the fray to reduce CC
  • Dragon and other neutral monsters are easy kills for Mundo as he can spam Cleavers to chop the majority of their health down and use his Sadism if he gets too low on health

Methusalem

09-12-2010

going to try this, thanks!

Spectros

09-13-2010

I can't wait to see some more madmen playing Dr. Mundo to unleash his potential.

Eppa

09-13-2010

You don't go x/x/9 when you jungle?

RiotStatikk

QA Analyst

09-13-2010
2 of 2 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eppa View Post
You don't go x/x/9 when you jungle?
The point in Utility Mastery is great and all but Mundo is probably the least jungle buff reliant jungler in the game. It's all preference really.

EchoRex

09-13-2010

Nicely put together guide. Well explained sections.

Though how a champion with no target redirects or appreciable CC can be considered an "Initiator" is beyond me, would be interested in what you're doing that would allow Mundo to force a fight to occur at one place.

Only thing I saw that was truly out of place was how heal reductions "hard counters" an effective Mundo. Mundo isn't all that countered by lowered survivability when using an appropriate to the opposition build, his job is damage output that can also take a few hits, not just being a damage sponge. Only the Glass Cannon builds, which are totally reliant upon just Sadism for survivability, and "tank" builds, which can only contribute by soaking damage up, have a hard time with Heal Reductions due to how it removes the former's survivability in total and in the latter halves their only contribution to a team.

Leirkov

09-13-2010

Tank (Initiatior)

What? Mundo has absolutely no initiation potential. The only thing I can think of is using Cleaver, hitting a lucky target, then using Ult and running around like an idiot, but nobody will focus you anyway. Better used as a carry. :l

Skwid1g

09-13-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echo7 View Post
Nicely put together guide. Well explained sections.

Though how a champion with no target redirects or appreciable CC can be considered an "Initiator" is beyond me, would be interested in what you're doing that would allow Mundo to force a fight to occur at one place.

Only thing I saw that was truly out of place was how heal reductions "hard counters" an effective Mundo. Mundo isn't all that countered by lowered survivability when using an appropriate to the opposition build, his job is damage output that can also take a few hits, not just being a damage sponge. Only the Glass Cannon builds, which are totally reliant upon just Sadism for survivability, and "tank" builds, which can only contribute by soaking damage up, have a hard time with Heal Reductions due to how it removes the former's survivability in total and in the latter halves their only contribution to a team.
While I wouldn't consider it a "hard counter" it definitely is a very very strong counter to Mundo. It's basically halving the effectiveness of his ult.

ANDRETHEGOD

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-13-2010

I like it, maybe we will stop seeing fail tank Mundo's

xSJx

09-14-2010

Something weird I noticed is on leaguecraft with dorans shield and veterans scars you start with 838 hp and ~28 hp/5, but in game you still have the same hp but only 16 hp/5 according to the character screen. I checked how much hp I regen in one minute in a practice game, and went from 200 hp to 535 hp, so 335 hp regen total. Which basically exactly matches the 28 hp/5 on leaguecraft so nothing to worry about .

I like this guide, definite +1. I still havent got to try rushing yommus after visage because my team never has a proper tank but it sounds awesome. That much cdr is crazy.

Mundo can KINDA initiate with a frozen mallet, which is probably why its rushed in the tanky build.