What is the purpose of Placement Matches?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Judgesin

08-12-2012

Apparently Placement matches are the first 10 ranked matches that have a disproportiante effect towards a players ELO

I just want to know why they occur. New ranked players are more likely to stuff up than they should (nervousness because of first time?), whilst smurfs will destroy them. This means the first few matches of Ranked games are less likely than later games to reflect a player’s skill.

They also speed you into Elo dumpster if something went wrong. How confronting is that?
I know a few guys who have ~1000 normal games and still havent tried ranked because of this reason.

So why then, do the first few games count more than the other games?

Zodiark

08-12-2012

Player's who join ranked before they are ready deserve to fall like a rock. The people who take time and actually try to get their skill level up before joining ranked have an easy time of it. The placement matches just help speed you along to where you belong.

Uroboros

08-12-2012

Except, there really need to be more placement matches. Ten really is not enough at all.

K J

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judgesin View Post
Apparently Placement matches are the first 10 ranked matches that have a disproportiante effect towards a players ELO

I just want to know why they occur. New ranked players are more likely to stuff up than they should (nervousness because of first time?), whilst smurfs will destroy them. This means the first few matches of Ranked games are less likely than later games to reflect a player’s skill.

So why then, do the first few games count more than the other games?
If I'm new to ranked with the skills of a 2200 player and you're a long-standing 1300 elo player, do you really want to have to sit through 20+ games with me before my elo is high enough to leave your bracket?

I certaintly wouldn't want to have to enter super-tryhard-carrymode for that many games with such little impact if I don't have to.

Judgesin

08-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Sidharth View Post
Player's who join ranked before they are ready deserve to fall like a rock. The people who take time and actually try to get their skill level up before joining ranked have an easy time of it. The placement matches just help speed you along to where you belong.
They also speed you into Elo dumpster if something went wrong. How confronting is that?
I know a few guys who have ~1000 normal games and still havent tried ranked because of this reason.

TheHatPerson

08-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Sidharth View Post
my last ranked game was me (mf) carrying 4 feeder who didnt know how to build or position themselves, if i wasnt there it was a 100% sure loss... but no they got 45 ELO because im good at carrying... make no sense

Vicvictorw

08-12-2012

Quote:
What is the purpose of Ranked?
Fixed that for you.

Really, why throw in some number that people are going to swing around like it was their **** or something?

Normal queue does the same thing. You just can't see the number, and are less pissy about it going down as a result.