I am a...

...Support and I soften creeps. 9 13.85%
...Support and I don't soften creeps. 30 46.15%
...AD Carry and I don't want creeps softened. 22 33.85%
...AD Carry and I want creeps softened. 4 6.15%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Support: Soften Creeps or No?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Chamenas

08-11-2012

I played as Sona today in a Draft game with an AD Carry who was a Ranked player (1500 elo, nothing special). I have gotten in the habit of being an extremely aggressive support when I play Leona and Sona and they're my favorites because I can get so aggressive on them. (About to learn Janna next, but I don't know how aggressive she can get).

One thing I do to keep active and be aggressive is to soften creeps up with a hit or two so that my AD Carry can finish them off with one or two blows. This is especially important on Sona who has her Q and I need to be refreshing her Power Chord often (I could spam W and E, but AD Carries tend to like to have the Q aura up for obvious reasons).

The player I played with got positively PISSED that I was "touching" his creeps. Even a stray Q was upsetting to him. So I mostly just hung back in the game, spamming W and E and the occasional Q if I was out of range, and not really feeling like I did a whole lot. Sure, I contributed to kills (2/0/11 out of 16 total for the team) but otherwise I was extremely passive and didn't really have as much fun as I normally have.

So, here's the question: Do you, as Support, soften creeps or not? OR As an AD Carry to you prefer to have your creeps softened or not?

thepantsparty

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-11-2012

Unless you have a reason to push the lane, don't.

NewRelicspet

08-11-2012

The game gets more fun for you if you hit a few creeps?

But dude. You got it all wrong. You can be agressive and harass the enemy without hitting creeps.
I got to agree with that adc, having your support fighting the creeps is just annoying. It pushes the lane and sets you in danger. Also, you mess up the adc farm, he got no clue what you are doing, and you are ruining his calculations on when to hit creeps by hitting them. Having the support "help" me get minion kills is just giving me less creepfarm.
When I play support, I do not touch the creeps at all, unless we want to push that lane, and even there I try not to kill any creeps.

AlphariusRising

08-11-2012

No, it pushes the lane and throws off their last hitting.

Im also too focused on checking the minimap every few seconds and trying to set up plays, poke, or give clutch shields.

Chamenas

08-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewRelicspet View Post
The game gets more fun for you if you hit a few creeps?

But dude. You got it all wrong. You can be agressive and harass the enemy without hitting creeps.
I got to agree with that adc, having your support fighting the creeps is just annoying. It pushes the lane and sets you in danger. Also, you mess up the adc farm, he got no clue what you are doing, and you are ruining his calculations on when to hit creeps by hitting them. Having the support "help" me get minion kills is just giving me less creepfarm.
When I play support, I do not touch the creeps at all, unless we want to push that lane, and even there I try not to kill any creeps.
I never kill the creeps either, unless the AD Carry isn't there and the creeps will die to minions or it's late-game and I'm clearing a lane.

But it's good to know where players lie on this, I was never told off before for softening creeps. Usually lower-level players enjoyed it as it helped them farm (since they have far less precise calculations).

Personally, I'm still finding it difficult to calculate just because of allied minion damage. So I usually just look for minions that are low (as an AD or AP champ) and snipe them off and then try to spread out my damage otherwise.

Anyways, since it seems like the general consensus might be that softening is bad. How do you manage Sona's Q? I want to be aggressive and use it to poke, but, stray Qs are likely to hit minions every now and again. Leona I probably won't have much issue with. I mean, my shield is probably going to hit some minions every now and again (and if it doesn't hit a champ it sort of should hit a minion to prolong it). But Sona's Q is much more difficult to control. Do I reserve its use for only when two enemy champs are in range of it? That's often sort of difficult to manage...

Chamenas

08-11-2012

For the record, it wasn't the hitting creeps that was fun. For me, on Sona, it was just using Q to poke constantly. Even if it only hit one champ, just forcing them back was fun. But, now, I guess I'm going to have to be extremely mindful of whether or not my Q will be touching a creep.

NewRelicspet

08-11-2012

Never mentioned you taking the creeps

Anyway, when you got an aoe champ like Sona which you can't control, your adc can't rage at you for accidently hitting a few minions every now and then. But at all times, try to position your self as far as way from the creeps as possible, and NEVER do it near an almost dead creep. Just wait for the adc to remove the almost dead creep, and then go harass. If your adc yells at you for hitting 2 creeps with full health with your aoe while harassing and zoning the enemy adc, he is an ass. And likely an idiot.
Hope that helps!

MeltedWater

08-11-2012

You shouldn't attack minions that aren't almost dead if you're an AD carry for sure...unless you want to push.

But the main supports I play are Alistar and Soraka. On Alistar, I only use Q and W if I'm trying to get a kill (then who cares about minions) and I try to use my E as far away from enemy AND allied minions. On Soraka, I usually don't even get level 1 of Q until level 5 or 7, and even then, I only use it when trying to secure a kill. NEVER for just harassment. I harass with my E (unless the carry needs mana) and otherwise just use W.

I have no idea how Sona works though, never played her...

NewRelicspet

08-11-2012

What if you are Graves or Varus and are warming up to enter a fight?
Got you there, muhaha.

Ephringael

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-11-2012

Don't care if my AD carry misses a single minion because I am harassing the enemy team.

My harass keeps them reluctant to get close, or set them at enough health for an easy kill.

Oh, boohoo, you missed 27 gold one single time? I miss out on 75 gold every minute and thirty seconds because I care about our well being. Also, STFU and pay attention, hit that champion to death, I just stunned it. Look, you got a kill. See? I harrassed, CCed, got them softened up for you. All you had to do was chase and AA them a few times. That sets you at 273 gold above that one minion I accidentally hit.

I also plan to buy Stark's for you, you ungrateful *******. Relax, and stop harrassing me. The enemy team will be doing enough of that mid and late game.

Be nice, and I will carry you to the point that you can carry the rest of the team. Verbally attack me and I wont trust you. If I don't trust you, guess where I will be in teamfights? Thats right, behind the AP carry with a delicious WoTA.

Remember, AD carries. Your support is like your significant other. Call them names, abuse them, and act purely out of your own intrests? Eventually they will leave you to go 'see other people' who treat them a bit better.