I'm BEGGING you, please read Riot.

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Echorion

08-11-2012

Just some concerns I would like to through out there, since some of the sound issues in the game has personally chased me away from certain champions, also some champions don't really meet anywhere near the sound quality of a majority of league champs, due to age restraints. Not to say they are bad, just out dated. I think satisfying sounds, greatly improve the appeal of a champion, and other aspects of the game as well.
I'm just going to post and add any thoughts people might have up here, Riot if anyone is available to answer some of these or offer their opinions, it would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

Pantheon - When he slams his spear against his shield to taunt, why doesn't it make a sound?
Fizz - I've heard people say that because all of his abilities make the same splash sound, they have difficulty telling what stage of his E he is in, would it be possible to make the spear sounds more distinguished?
Graves - I've seen this one around a lot. Graves has a shotgun, but it sounds more like a pellet gun in all honesty, and his buckshot sounds far too soft. Any thoughts on this one?
Renekton - Renekton and some other champions currently swing their blades around during dances or taunts, and almost all the newer, reworked, or otherwise characters that have received newer treatment all have sounds to let you know "This blade is moving", but Renekton for example does not. Any plans to add these sounds to these champions in the future?
Katarina: Actually on the PBE this one was picked out. When she taunts, she runs her blades against each other. But it feels weird because it is silent, could the sound of a blade on blade be added for this?
Mordekaiser: I really wish the pentakill skin would play a rift when he does his Shift + 3 Taunt, since it is after all, actually a guitar on that skin, and would add great satisfaction.
Ryze: The Dark Crystal skin, currently his joke is still "Take this Scroll, I have to avoid using his joke altogether because it is so out of place, and one of my friends loved the skin but still is stubborn and won't get the skin at all because of that one thing.

Fantasea says:

Quote:
When Leona taunts with non-classic skins, the sound of her knocking on her shield is not synced with the action. I've observed this on both her Valkyrie skin and the Iron Solari skin
Edit: I've been trying to get an answer on these types of questions for a while now, no one from Riot seems to want to talk about these topics. I see people post nasty vulgar insults about Riot, and get polite red responses back. Maybe I should just start acting that way? Seems to be the only way to get a reds attention o.O

If anyone has any other thoughts to add, please post it and I will be happy to add it to the front page. Thanks again for reading.

Echorion

08-12-2012

Bump

jaywatford

Lead Sound Designer

08-13-2012
1 of 1 Riot Posts

Hey Echorion,

Thanks for all the awesome feedback! It's really cool that you're enjoying the additional audio detail that we're putting on newer champs. We will be trying to find the time to go back and update some older champs with the same love, it's very helpful to hear which ones you think are the biggest offenders to help us with priority!

Tremkl

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-13-2012

While more diverse sound effects would definitely be a plus, I wear headphones often when I'm playing the game and would really like to avoid any aggressively uncomfortable sounds. I'm all for more diverse sound effects on Fizz's attacks, and giving sound effects to some of the silent things you pointed out, but the sound of metal scraping against metal is not really something I look forward to hearing. I have a similar concern with making Graves sound more like a shotgun.

Fantasea

08-13-2012

I'd like to contribute!

When Leona taunts with non-classic skins, the sound of her knocking on her shield is not synced with the action. I've observed this on both her Valkyrie skin and the Iron Solari skin (that I just bought D )

The Trainer Gold

08-13-2012

Im pretty sure it got fixed a while back, but when ziggs was first released, u could hear him anywhere on the map. even in the fog of war, as long as u scrolled by you could hear him giggling like a school girl wherever he was..

BooleanLobster

08-13-2012

When Sona's autoattack is blocked by Pantheon's Aegis Protection, it makes a "CLUNK" sound. I'm pretty sure nothing that Sona does with that instrument should ever, EVER go CLUNK. Please replace it with a more appropriate sound.

Rumble Senpai

08-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by BooleanLobster View Post
When Sona's autoattack is blocked by Pantheon's Aegis Protection, it makes a "CLUNK" sound. I'm pretty sure nothing that Sona does with that instrument should ever, EVER go CLUNK. Please replace it with a more appropriate sound.
I think it's probably left the same so you get the audio feedback letting you know that his passive has just blocked something. If they started doing different sounds for different kinds of auto attacks that he blocks, it would be slightly more difficult to know when an auto was blocked. Yes, I'm aware there's a visual cue as well, but Riot has a tendency to make things extremely obvious both visually and auditory. I personally love this consistency, makes it much easier to know what's going on in the middle of a 5v5 team fight.

Echorion

08-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaywatford View Post
Hey Echorion,

Thanks for all the awesome feedback! It's really cool that you're enjoying the additional audio detail that we're putting on newer champs. We will be trying to find the time to go back and update some older champs with the same love, it's very helpful to hear which ones you think are the biggest offenders to help us with priority!
Thank you for the response, I've been trying to make headway on some of these topics for some time. Seriously, thank you a bunch, it's good to know people are listening.

One concern I would like to put out there first is that some things are small standalone issues, yet they only seem to get fixed in giant massive overhauls of champion, when a simple sound could have been added in or updated many months prior, and the same sounds would have taken through to the update just fine.

Also, if I notice anything else, I will be dropping details in this thread.

LimitlessChaos

08-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkened Vision View Post
I think it's probably left the same so you get the audio feedback letting you know that his passive has just blocked something. If they started doing different sounds for different kinds of auto attacks that he blocks, it would be slightly more difficult to know when an auto was blocked. Yes, I'm aware there's a visual cue as well, but Riot has a tendency to make things extremely obvious both visually and auditory. I personally love this consistency, makes it much easier to know what's going on in the middle of a 5v5 team fight.
Yeah...pretty much this.

There's room for diversity on a champion to champion basis for sounds originating from that champion; however, I think it gets strange when you start asking for varied sounds from that champion to other champions.

Exhibit A: By your logic, I should demand Riot change the sounds for EVERY champion in the game on the receiving end of Graves' auto attacks; because lets face it, it's not the same sound when I shoot a fully metal robot with a shotgun as it is when I shoot a fleshy yordle or a big scary rock guy or a dude made of energy...

See where I'm going here? If you want an example of an attack with a more "apparent" sound when it strikes enemies but still keeps true with my Graves example - see Renekton's Cull the Meek - it makes a flesh-crashing/slicing sound no matter what you hit and that's ok.

Additionally, on the subject of Graves - I fully agree that his sound set is in places (Collateral Damage, non-Mafia Graves auto-attacks) too quiet and Buckshot does not always sound shotgun appropriate.

Thanks for posting here, Jay.