Draft pick vs. Blind pick?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Giannoulias

08-11-2012

When i go to start a game i notice that there are 4 options for pick type: normal blind, normal draft, ranked solo/duo, and ranked team. Im not level 30 so i cant pick the last 2. I always go for option 1. But option 2 always cathes my eye: normal draft pick.

Can i select this option at level 13? And what happens if i can and i do? Are people who choose draft pick generally more skilled or just more versatile? If i can/do choose draft pick, should i expect to encounter a bunch of jerks who will rage at me for small mistakes? So basically, im just asking the general differences between blind and draft pick, other than the obvious mechanics of the pick type.

Fs Son0fSilas

08-11-2012

I'm pretty sure you have to be level 20 for normal draft? I could be wrong though. You also have to have a certain amount of champions too though

Jorick

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-11-2012

Draft mode is sort of in between ranked and blind pick for seriousness. A lot of people see it as practice for ranked, so encountering jerks is possible. The people who choose draft pick are not necessarily more skilled or versatile though, just possibly more serious about winning. Although to be fair I'm not sure if this is accurate for low level draft mode, since I've only ever played it at level 30.

I believe the only thing you need to select normal draft is that you need to have 16 champions available. This is because this is the minimum number needed in case the odds fall wildly against you and you get last pick and all of your available champions are banned and picked; 16 makes it so you'll have at least 1 to pick no matter what. Pretty sure there's no level requirement on it since my little brother was able to select it only a couple weeks after he started playing.

Panzerfaust

Emissary of the League

08-11-2012

The 'level 20' was for ranked, though I believe you can still join a ranked team at 20, you can no longer solo/duo queue at 20-29.

Suzunoo

08-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giannoulias View Post
When i go to start a game i notice that there are 4 options for pick type: normal blind, normal draft, ranked solo/duo, and ranked team. Im not level 30 so i cant pick the last 2. I always go for option 1. But option 2 always cathes my eye: normal draft pick.

Can i select this option at level 13? And what happens if i can and i do? Are people who choose draft pick generally more skilled or just more versatile? If i can/do choose draft pick, should i expect to encounter a bunch of jerks who will rage at me for small mistakes? So basically, im just asking the general differences between blind and draft pick, other than the obvious mechanics of the pick type.
Draft mode is full of smurfs. Just saying.

Giannoulias

08-11-2012

Oh, okay, thank you all! I guess i'll be avoiding draft pick until i pick up some more skills....

Kuryaka

08-11-2012

I would advise staying away from draft unless you want to get a feel for the meta/adapting to your team. I'd use it as practice for getting back into ranked, but not as a habit unless you're with a bunch of friends.
Queue times are generally longer - little penalty for dodging means people can and will dodge. You also have the more serious atmosphere of ranked without the reward.

LowlyingLemur

08-11-2012

You can also do draft mode in custom games.

mrocznykiciak

08-12-2012

if you enter draft mode make sure you have enought variety of champions. So you can fil the role, even with enemy pick or ban.

Beside that, its not much different from normal.
And yes you can meet same amount of ragers as in blind.
You can try it if you like. Nothing bad should happen.

BurstDemon

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorick View Post
Pretty sure there's no level requirement on it since my little brother was able to select it only a couple weeks after he started playing.
Yeah, there is no level requirement. Just need 16 champs (Can include the free champions of the week.) So if you really want to try it out, buy a few cheap champions to meet the minimum champion requirement