Why does riot hate supports?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Blaeniek

08-12-2012

One of the primary reasons Riot does not make a lot of supports is the fact that the role is traditionally very narrow in what it does and how it performs. Sure, they could make another character with a shield and a slow, but then that would be in large part Janna or Lulu. Stuns? Taric. Auras? Sona. You can mix and match these to make new supports, but when trying to build a support as they exist currently, it is very hard to get a unique character instead of something frankenstein'd from three existing skills, a semi-unique passive, and an inspired ult.

That's not to say that I think they should make fewer supports. I've mained support since I was a wee little level 6, and I love the role. I think the problem is that they are too cautious with the potential to upset the meta very drastically with an unusual support, or just make something like Karma that is, while fun, just honestly not viable across a large number of skill levels.

What they should do is take just a few notes from Dota2's character concepts. There's a moderately sized pool of characters, but they are all incredibly varied. I can't claim to be an expert on Dota2, but there's enough variety in character skills that each one feels unique. In League, we have enough characters and a defined enough metagame that there is always an AD who goes bot, with one of a number of supports. Supports should function without items, grant buffs, and have some calibre of cc to assist in protecting the carry. There's just not room in that definition to create a lot of interesting and well developed champions, unless Riot is willing to step outside a lot of the requirements for supports.

You could have something like a particular support in Dota2, who bonds to a selected character and grants them buffs based on what the support does. Furthermore, the ult on this particular character (I can't remember the name at the moment) teleports them to a location like TF's ult, bringing the bonded character with them. They're teleported back some small amount of time later. If Riot were to widen their views on what a support should do, I think they could release them far more often, and additionally get a more diverse meta in bot lane. As their definition of support stands now, the release schedule is looking like two to three supports a year, and it's probably not really possible to increase that output. It's a sad fact, but the idea of a support's function likely needs to change before we can get them more often.

Sam Is Whoa

08-12-2012

They just recently changed ppls roles. They removed the support tag from Orianna, and Gangplank, and the carry role from Kayle. There does need to be more characters with support abilities although they can say Zyra can be played as support.

What is holding riot back is their anti-fun policy. They deem alot of things anti-fun and that limits their ability to make new characters. They have done everything with the 100+ champs. The problem is if they make a whole new mechanic in the game then ppl would abuse it and others would scream OP.

AlphariusRising

08-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaeniek View Post
You could have something like a particular support in Dota2, who bonds to a selected character and grants them buffs based on what the support does. Furthermore, the ult on this particular character (I can't remember the name at the moment) teleports them to a location like TF's ult, bringing the bonded character with them.
Oh god the trolling potential on that.

Leonixxiii

08-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaeniek View Post
You could have something like a particular support in Dota2, who bonds to a selected character and grants them buffs based on what the support does. Furthermore, the ult on this particular character (I can't remember the name at the moment) teleports them to a location like TF's ult, bringing the bonded character with them. They're teleported back some small amount of time later. If Riot were to widen their views on what a support should do, I think they could release them far more often, and additionally get a more diverse meta in bot lane. As their definition of support stands now, the release schedule is looking like two to three supports a year, and it's probably not really possible to increase that output. It's a sad fact, but the idea of a support's function likely needs to change before we can get them more often.
I dunno about DotA(1 or 2), but in HoN that sounds like
Empath: Empath becomes one with an allied hero, buffing the host. Empath may continue to cast spells and use items as normal.

and Nymphora: Nymphora channels the power of the Forest, connecting with all living things in it. Through this power she is able to teleport herself and, at higher levels, some nearby allies to a target destination of her choosing.

Nymphora channels her powers through the Staff of the Master, gaining the ability to summon an ally to her side.

both fav supports of mine when I venture into that game from time to time.

There are still 2 types of supports we are missing.. An AD support, and an energy based support (not Shen).

Twistezr

08-12-2012

Nunu is now amazing as support especially after his buff. His harrass is good and can heal himself with q.
Plus his attack/move speed buff means your carry can build pure damage.
Nice teamfight ulti and a free spell every 5 hits.

Just make sure to ward everywhere because hes best when you push hard and force the other team out of range.

Velpro

08-12-2012

Im still waiting for a tank.