'Must-learn' Mids, and Their counters?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Akimasu

08-11-2012

I'm still working my way to level 30, but I've pretty much figured out what roll I want to play. Mid. I very much so enjoy it, and the only other roll I enjoy nearly as much is early-game Support... that being said, I don't know who are the must-learns, I don't understand the meta-game of counter picking, and I don't really know who to play. o_o

So, for the question: Who are the 'must-learn' mids, Who are their counters, and can you be a good mid in a team without learning champions like Veigar, and Annie?(No escape, No mobility, High burst)?

AlphariusRising

08-11-2012

Ideally you would know all the champions at least to the extent that you are familiar with their kit, and don't go "wtf" when Gragas throws more than one barrel of booze at you or something.

Akimasu

08-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphariusRising View Post
Ideally you would know all the champions at least to the extent that you are familiar with their kit, and don't go "wtf" when Gragas throws more than one barrel of booze at you or something.
By "learn" I mean champions I myself should play, and at some point will play in ranked matches =P.

AlphariusRising

08-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akimasu View Post
By "learn" I mean champions I myself should play, and at some point will play in ranked matches =P.
The flavor of the month mid champs will change from patch to patch, you're better off choosing a playstyle and getting good at that category of champions.

UglierBetty

08-11-2012

There isn't really champions you need to learn but having a good arsenal is good for counter picking. What i suggest is picking two mids you really enjoy and mastering them and after that just branch out.

Akimasu

08-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by UglierBetty View Post
There isn't really champions you need to learn but having a good arsenal is good for counter picking. What i suggest is picking two mids you really enjoy and mastering them and after that just branch out.
I see, thanks!

Jayfeather

08-11-2012

What exactly are you asking? Such as do you want to know the best mid champs, or the burster champs, or?

lockpooh

08-11-2012

I love mid as well. My favs are Karthus, Malzahar & Annie. When ever I'm having a losing a streak I run one of those 3 and begin my winning streak.

Cvi11ain

08-11-2012

You say you don't want to learn Veigar, but he's a pretty hard counter on most other AP mid champs, what with his AP farming Q and his ult that scales off of the enemies AP...absolutely melts anybody that builds AP. Ryze is good mid too, has some decent pokes, and ridiculous burst with his cd-reducing passive if you can combo to take advantage of that.

HungryHungryHOB0

08-11-2012

Although there are many play styles, the mid meta that I've been seeing from some pro matches are ones in which the mid character is one who can push and gank a lot.

These include:
Morgana - hard to gank due to CC-proof shield, pushes lane easily after level 3 pool, can drop pool and start roaming.
Ahri - hard to gank after level 6 due to her ult, has very good damage output with her q, charm makes and break many team fights.
Twisted Fate - level 6 ganks and counterganks can change flow of the game, cards clear creeps well mid-game.
LeBlanc - a "counter-mage" who is also very mobile and whose early game damage + ganks can be devestating.

There are obviously more mages, but I highly recommend these to anyone who is learning how to play mid.

If you want "harder" characters to play, you can go into:

Casseopia: amazing waveclear, damage, and ult that swings team fights. (but hard to land skill shots + combo's)
Ryze: gets stupid tanky and does stupid damage late game. (but weak early game and weak wave-clear)
Karthus: does amazing AOE damage, wall can determine fate of team fights. (but extremely squishy and needs to be very map aware to pick up stray kills with ult)
Orianna: lots of damage, very good ult. (positioning and harassing with her strong auto-attacks are key)

Hope all of that helps!