League Judgment - Katarina, the Sinister Blade

1234511 ... 15
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Renekton Bot

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-10-2012

http://www.crocout.com

OBSERVATION

She is the image of placidity.
But on the inside, there is fear. She tells herself it is merely concern.
Her grip tightens on the hilt of her blade, but she isn't expecting a fight as she stares at the entrance to the League's reflecting chamber.
A funny thing. Death is not something she she fears. Death, nor pain, nor darkness.
But she knows what lies within the chamber.
She enters.

REFLECTION

There is darkness all around her... For a moment. Then a great light fills the room, and there in the center of the chamber she finds a table.
At at that table, two men in robes of deep purple. One is sitting, the other standing to one side and holding a clipboard and quill. They smile as they see her.
“Ah, excellent!” says the seated summoner, “You must be... uhm...”
His partner leans down and whispers something into his ear.
“...Katarina, yes!” he says, “Welcome, Katarina, to your judgment.”
Katarina had raised one eyebrow when she saw them. It remains elevated.
“This?” she asks. “This is a judgment?”
The summoner at the table nods, his fingers laced.
“We have very recently begun sweeping changes of how we handle our records. The old methods simply didn't let us explore who our champions were... If that makes the least amount of sense.”
“Diving into someone's head and forcing them to experience their deepest fears wasn't evocative enough for you?”
The summoner chuckles, “Unfortunately not. Besides, only the champion and the summoner assigned to them actually see what goes on, and most of us aren't very good at telling stories.”
“So why not ask the champions, then?”
“Oh goodness, no. We tried that once, with Renekton I believe. It... Well, the results were interesting.”
Katarina shrugs. “Okay, whatever. What happens now?”
“Well, when you're ready, please have a seat and we'll proceed.”
She pulls out a chair for herself and takes a seat across from the two summoners. The one with the clipboard signals that he is ready.
“Very good. Now...” says the other summoner. He slides his chair back and stands.
He raises his arms and adjusts his sleeves. He tugs back his hood and begins to shake his hands, either the beginning of an incantation or a way to clear the numbness from his digits. Then he sits back down, pulls in his chair, re-laces his fingers, clears his throat, and speaks.
“Please tell us about yourself.”
Katarina looks at him for a long moment, “Just... tell you? Just like that?”
“Just like that,” he confirms, with a smile.
Katarina studies him for a moment, then begins speaking. The scribe's quill begins to scratch and click against the clipboard.
“My name is Katarina Du Couteau. My father is General Du Couteau of the Noxian High Command. I am a loyal servant to Noxus and the finest assassin who ever lived.”
She stops a moment to allow herself a smile, “If I do say so myself.”
The summoner nods with a grin.
She continues.
“I was born into wealth, but I did not let it make me soft. Combat was in my blood, and while my sisters played with dolls and fussed over dresses, I was learning how to fight. I found a rusted old knife when I was very young, and from the moment I was able to hold it properly I began to train.
“I was eight years old when I took my first life. It was a boy, one much older than I was. He found me while I was practicing, said that women had no place holding knives outside of kitchens.”
Katarina's fists tighten.
“I suppose he wanted to teach me a lesson. He came at me with a sword as long as I was tall, but he was clumsy and unpracticed. In seconds I had him on the ground, his throat open, blood soaking the grass.”
She pauses; the summoner's quill continues to clack and scribble on the clipboard for a few moments, then stops.
“My father had heard the fight and found me standing over the boy's body. He dragged me back inside the house, took my knife away from me, and told me to wash the blood off my clothes. Being eight, I was petrified. I thought he was going to kill me to make up for what I had done.”
She looks at the table. A smile crosses her lips.
“After my bath I ran into my room, threw myself on my bed and started to cry. I actually thought about going outside and sewing the boy back up, hoping they would both forgive me.”
“My father returned an hour later. There was a man with him, someone I didn't recognize. He looked dangerous. I thought he was with the Peacekeepers, but my father introduced him as Delgan Delacroix; an assassin, and one of the finest. For a moment I thought my father wanted me to fight him, but then he knelt next to me and smiled like I'd never seen him smile before.
“He told me that this man would be my teacher, that if I was going to learn how to fight then it was going to be from the very best. Then he handed me a gleaming silver dagger. His own, from when he was a boy.”
The summoner nods, “Incredible. And what did you say?”
“Nothing. I started crying again, and I ran into my room.”
She laughs. The summoner chuckles.
“When I came out an hour later they were still there, and I told them I was ready. You should have seen the look on my father's face...”
“He was surprised?”
Katarina shakes her head, “No. He was proud. Of me."
She leans back, savoring the memory.
"I didn't realize exactly how proud I'd made him until years later. My father loved my sisters and I very dearly, but he had always wanted for a son. Someone to follow in his footsteps and become a soldier like him. When my mother died... He was devastated. He'd loved her more than anything in the world, and swore he would never remarry... But his hopes for a male heir had died with her. When he learned that I wanted to be a soldier, and that I had his talent...”
She goes quiet, smiling at the table. She blinks for a long moment.
The summoner nods, then looks at the scribe. The scribe nods as well. They take a moment to let Katarina compose herself. Finally, the summoner speaks again.
“If we may ask, where did you get that scar?”
Her finger traces the gash across her eye.
“Years ago, when I was still in training, a Demacian war party attacked the arena outside of Noxus.”
“The same arena that plays host to the Fleshing?”
“The same.”
The summoner knows well the great gladiatorial event known as the Fleshing. Men condemned to die would be allowed to fight for one last chance at glory. Every victory resulted more opponents being sent at them, and it ended only when the fighter died. Before that day, no man had ever escaped the Fleshing alive.
“They were there to liberate our 'prisoners,' so that they could convert them into soldiers to use against us. But those men were convicts, every last one, found guilty of things too vile to mention.”
The summoner nods. Despite himself, he shivers just a little.
“Well, we got word that the king of Demacia himself was going to be there. Being the academy's most talented student, I was sent to kill him.”
The summoner nods again. Considering that King Lightshield was still on the throne, and that his son was set to succeed him, he is sure of what the outcome was.
“I took a crossbow with me, since I knew I wouldn't be able to get close. As our forces beat back the Demacian military I located the king, found myself a vantage point, took aim, and fired. The shot was true, but at the last moment some idiot dove in front of the bolt- completely on accident!- and saved the king's life.”
She sits back in her chair. Her jaw tightens.
“When I reported my failure, my instructor tried to take my eye.”
The summoner winces.
“After I killed him,” Katarina continues, “I graduated.”
The summoner laughs, “Well done, Ms. Du Couteau, well done. An excellent story!”
She smiles again. The summoner leans in slightly.
“A woman as beautiful and talented as you must have no end of admirers. Have you ever... reciprocated any of that attention?”
Her eyes drift to the tabletop. A flash of his reddish brown hair.
Her cheeks tingle with warmth.
“No.”
The summoner nods and looks at his partner, the scribe. Katarina realizes that not only is he not writing, but that he'd stopped writing minutes ago.
“Is that it?” she asks.
The summoner looks at the scribe, who nods.
“Yes, it would seem so! Thank you, Ms. Du Couteau, for your cooperation. We'll have this finalized and placed in the library after--”
“Wait, you're not going to make any of that public, are you?”
“Oh, but of course! The summoners enjoy reading more about their favorite champions, and what we just did here was part of our new effort to make this information more accessible and easier to digest.”
“Let me see what you've written,” she says.
The summoners share a glance, and the scribe shakes his head.
“I'm afraid we can't--” the summoner begins, but Katarina appears behind the scribe in a flash of pinkish smoke. She plucks the clipboard from his hands, shoving him to the floor as he attempts to recover it.
She reads, and her brow furrows.
“What... what is this?”
“Our new style of biography. This is the information that summoners and champions alike will--”
“That fiery, willful child has grown into a beautiful and deadly woman? A passion for life? When her heart and her responsibilities are at odds?”
“We wanted to give you a greater sense of humanity, to show that you--”
“You're talking about me like I'm up for sale!”
Her fingers tighten against the clipboard. She continues to read, but only makes it as far as the next sentence.
“The free-spirited daughter of ...a prominent Noxian general??”
The scribe stands, slowly. “I, uhm, I thought that including his name would be distracting. This is, after all, your judgment, not his, so--”
Katarina's fist returns him to the floor.
“This... this is ridiculous!” she stammers. “They sent me to kill some guy? And that on the way I was 'overwhelmed by my passion to prove myself?' What the hell does that even mean? Did my strange girl-feelings and desire to make men happy cause me to stab the first person I saw? Is that why I have this scar, because I'm a dumb, irrational woman who throws herself at sharp objects?”
The summoner sputters a response. Katarina ignores him and continues to read.
“Why do you keep using the word 'passion'? Do you think I screw people before I kill them?”
“No, no, we didn't mean to imply that--”
“I am the finest assassin that Noxus has ever seen! This doesn't even make me out to be half-competent at stabbing people! I am the Sinister Blade, and they don't call me that because I do everything left-handed!”
“B-but, but your humanity!”
“Screw your humanity, I am a Legend!”
The two summoners nod, apologizing profusely.
“Okay, we'll re-write it! We'll put in the part about your dad, and the guy with the sword, and the king, too!”
Katarina holds up a hand. “Before we get to that, I had one last concern.”
The summoner nods, “Y-yes?”
“This part here, about me damaging my family's reputation?”
The clipboard falls from Katarina's grasp as her hands find her blades.
The summoners do not have time to scream.

Zerglinator

08-10-2012

Renekton Bot does it again.

Thomyas

08-10-2012

Nasus could have done this better

CakeandBacon

08-10-2012

Awesome. This should be canon.

Kingbob12

08-10-2012

renekton bot thread is full of win

sweet teemotion

08-10-2012

downvoted overrated unfunny person

Iaw

08-10-2012

Finished reading

Enjoyed.

Bloodpaly

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-10-2012

Only uses "passion" 3 times.

Obviously fake.

But now that I read it, I must say, wonderful as ever

MortifyMore

08-10-2012

Posting in a Renekton Bot thread. Enjoyable read and awesome as usual.

Amélie Poulain

08-10-2012

gg, riot official lore team couldn't do any better

1234511 ... 15