Champion Bio Updates - Kat specific questions

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DemothHymside

08-10-2012

Her new lore is vastly inferior and makes her look so.... bland and generic.

As others have, more eloquently, stated she seemed very strong, proud and confident as well as literally carving her own path to glory. Now she just comes off as just a patriot who isn't really all that bad, and also faily incompotent at that.

I can understand wanting to give her faults, but making her royally screw over her first mission just seems to scream that there is absolutely nothing special about her as an assassin, other than she's somewhat slow in the head for knowingly killing the wrong target and then just walking away thinking, "Eh, good enough".

ThisTimeForREALS

08-10-2012

The first thing I can remember knowing about lore in the League universe was that Kat and Garen were maybe a thing, but also rivals.

Now new players will never know nuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

TheMeta88

08-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitae View Post
Great question.

With our champion bio updates we are looking to tell different stories about our champions. That does not mean previous stories told in the JOJ or earlier versions of bios are now invalid.

Think of updated bios as "new stories", the old stories still exist and are valid unless the updated story clearly changes a detail. If that happens, we'll discuss why the detail changed in our AMA thread.
Are you an alien? I am so used to Riot post's being informative and friendly and...human.

This just seems like rinsed washed and repeated PR bull****.

Commando Slap

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-10-2012

I'm not even going to bother writing a new post, I'll just move my post in the AMA to here. Its late.

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=2460711
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=2461534

I think a great deal of answers are needed here. I've pointed out a lot of contradictions with this rewrite and the goals of the lore team in doing so. In addition, there's a lot of feedback in that thread from a large segment of the community.

Why make Katarina into a new champion almost? Is this riot's intent whenever they say "relaunch"? Are we abandoning all the arcs she's involved in, and totally rewriting her personality? Why?

Also, why even rewrite it? What was so wrong with it?

This new lore is written horribly. Like it's easily the worst in game. You're obscuring her origins and fraying her connections, please explain to me HOW this new lore somehow achieves any of your established goals?

I don't mean to be aggressive, but if this is the "new vision" for the lore team, count me out. Bios should establish a character's relationships, their origin, and some of their exploits. The old Katarina lore covered these bases extremely well. New Kat's lore does none of these things.

Save Kat, pls. Take another pass at it. Leave the old lore in if you don't think it's possible to marry the two. I understand Riot wants to write 'new stories' but taking out CRUCIAL character information to do so is a HORRIBLE idea. Start penning judgements again if you want to delve deeper.

I'm VERY passionate about this.

Melancholy Exile

08-10-2012

Quote:
Great question.

With our champion bio updates we are looking to tell different stories about our champions. That does not mean previous stories told in the JOJ or earlier versions of bios are now invalid.

Think of updated bios as "new stories", the old stories still exist and are valid unless the updated story clearly changes a detail. If that happens, we'll discuss why the detail changed in our AMA thread.
Katarina, as depicted by her new lore, is not a sadistic person. Her passion is proving herself and serving Noxus, not relishing glorious violence.

Doesn't that, and her first assignment not being the Ionian campaign, contradict a vast slough of her old lore? How did she earn the nickname 'The Sinister Blade' if her defining traits are passion and patriotism?

Corruption44

08-10-2012

Quote:
Great question.

So basically, all the old, good lore is canon UNTIL you finish erasing it? i mean we could get through this quicker just delete all the current JoJ references on the site and forums, send out cease and desist orders to all sites hosting the lore and wipe all champion bios blank until you get around to writing them. cause you don't want new players enjoying the lore in the meantime.

swan2swan

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-10-2012

Can't you just add these on to their bios?

Or expand the bio sections? You know..."Account #1"..."Account #2"....sometimes you could even have conflicting ones, where a heroic deed is painted as villainous, or an evil act is glorified.

Best Philosopher

08-10-2012

What is the point in even updating her lore? Her story was fine. It completely destroys her personality. An update would be adding on to what is there not changing it. Not only that this changed seemed half-assed into something generic. Keep her old stuff there.

Doosfin

08-10-2012

Turning champion bios into a place for a more 'casual' level of lore like you seem to be doing is cool, it makes sense.

The problem is, there aren't any other places to find lore. Anyone who is actually fairly interested in this game's lore only has the one place to go currently.

Katarina's bio would not be so bad if there was some other place to find the rest of her lore. I shouldn't have to search it up on lolwiki to know about her relationship with Garen, or her connection to Sion's story.

You say that the bios are a set up for new stories, but there aren't any new stories. Worse, you seem to be forgoing the old stories.

Melancholy Exile

08-10-2012

Quote:
Great question.

Question:

The older versions of Champions' lores are not available in the LoL client. If the aim of these lore rewrites is to make the characters more accessible, and easier to read, how can you say that the older material is still canon with a straight face. You may not be looking to contradict that material but it no longer exists in the public eye. Outside of saying "No comment" when asked, you've done everything you can to bury it.

Anyone new to the game has no way of finding out Katarina's old lore, and thus her role in Sion's recovery and the Ionian campaign, without doing a lot of digging. It might as well no longer be canon because Riot themselves will be doing nothing to help players experience it.