Champion Bio Updates - Kat specific questions

First Riot Post
12345612 ... 18
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Katárina

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-10-2012

Copy posted from my post on the front page of the other thread. Perhap you can anwser some of these Kitae (Kitteh)

This is trash that Kat's lore is being changed. Her old lore, was just FINE the way it was.

No mention of General Marcus Du Couteau, no mention of Cassiopeia Du Couteau or her other sisters. No mention of Garen or how Sion's corpse was retreived. Nor mention of Talon.

A 'Prominent General" So you're writting Marcus Du Couteau out of the equation?

What the hell are you doing Riot?

The way you've written Katarina is as a brash hothead who's orignal trial by fire was during the Ionian War. What happened to her participation there?

I love Katarina. I love her so much I changed my NAME to hers, and roleplay as Katarina on the RP forums as Ask Katarina.

While the changes to her abilities seem.. something new and kinda iffy, I don't like this change to her lore. So much is being taken out of it.

She's being made into Noxian Fiora.

EDIT: You asked for constructive criticism. I do not think that this is the right way to go with Katarina's lore. You're taking so much away from her background. Her family is not mentioned at all. She has a high played in Noxian Nobility liek before yes, but nothing about that. She's a noble who's a prime assassin. Her father was the mighty Marcus Du Couteau.

Is Kat just going to forget about him now?

Please... do not change my lore, you red overlords you.

Edit#2:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katárina View Post
Since this is an AMA. I want to ask.

Why is Katarina's lore being changed in the first place? What was so bad about it that did not fit within the Leagues Lore?

Will Marcus Du Couteau be mentioned more or will he become a champion relating himself to Katarina as the "Prominant General" in her bio.

Will Kat's Sister, Cassiopeia be mentioned, or are you going to redo Cassio's lore as well? Because it won't make much sense leaving it as is now. Right?

Will Katarina's other sisters be mentioned?

What of Katarina's apprehension towards the new Grand General, Jericho Swain? Before she was apprehensive about it becausee a decision was made before her father, the most notable candidate dissapeared right at the perfect time for Swain.

What of her choice to go against the more womanly ways that her sisters took up, to become a more powerful military being and powerhouse of Noxus?

What about her rivaly with Garen Crownguard of Demacia?

What of her willingness to work with Demacia to find her father?

Was was brought because of that?

What of Katarina's mission mission to find her missing father? She teamed up with Demacia for this, as did Talon.

Swanhaven

08-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMeta88 View Post
Btw this is a...untrustworthy way to split the discussion.
I don't find it particularly comforting either.

TasteTheLuminous

08-10-2012

Why have you guys decided to cut Katarina's ties with Garen?
It was the login screen for season one and even for those who don't read lore would already know they have at least some kind of affiliation together. Why did you guys decide to remove this relation?
Thanks!

ScorchedToes

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-10-2012

The new lore makes Katarina both shallower, less relatable as well as cutting out all the interlinked stories with the world lore and other champions, there is nothing good about this change or the new bio.

Its like taking a rich mosaic and replacing it with a doodle.

kitae

Lead Designer

08-10-2012
2 of 11 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXIskanderXx View Post
ill write my question from the katarina post here then.

i think the fundamental question is: Is the lore being changed as a whole, like in the level of all the JoJ, and old Character bios are not canon anymore just a thing of the past? and the new lore is whats canon now sort of like a reboot of League of Legends lore?
Great question.

With our champion bio updates we are looking to tell different stories about our champions. That does not mean previous stories told in the JOJ or earlier versions of bios are now invalid.

Think of updated bios as "new stories", the old stories still exist and are valid unless the updated story clearly changes a detail. If that happens, we'll discuss why the detail changed in our AMA thread.

Swanhaven

08-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScorchedToes View Post
The new lore makes Katarina both shallower, less relatable as well as cutting out all the interlinked stories with the world lore and other champions, there is nothing good about this change or the new bio.

Its like taking a rich mosaic and replacing it with a doodle.
No kidding. The worst part is that real Katarina was cunning, ruthless and loved the thrill of the old ultraviolence. She could give Garen a run for his money. New Coke Katarina would get pubstomped by Garen and wouldn't have been able to steal Sion back because all that passion would run rampant and she'd shank the nearest high-profile target and get DEMACIA'd in the face.

It pretty much makes her entire character a joke.

Katárina

08-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitae View Post
Great question.

With our champion bio updates we are looking to tell different stories about our champions. That does not mean previous stories told in the JOJ or earlier versions of bios are now invalid.

Think of updated bios as "new stories", the old stories still exist and are valid unless the updated story clearly changes a detail. If that happens, we'll discuss why the detail changed in our AMA thread.
The entirty of Katarina's story has been changed. Nothing from the oringinal remains almost.

She seems more... passionate. >_>

But why change an already established, well liked and well written Lore which gave more to her background and personality and relationships then the new? It just makes no sense.

I understand wanting to tell more newer stories... but this one erased everything kat was.

Ryugi Kazamaru

08-10-2012

Quote:
Great question.

Then, in response to this, why leave out the aspects of Katarina's old lore within her new rewritten bio? Why leave out her previous rivalry with Garen? Why remove the reference to the name of her father? Why leave out Sion?

These are important factors to Katarina's story. It seems...somehow unreasonable to up and change and or remove them with no apparent cause other than you wished to completely redesign her. If that's the case, a bigger question would be, "Why recreate a character that has been a core participant in the lore since the early days of the game, when little to nothing was particularly wrong with her story in the first place?"

kaaldra

08-10-2012

What were you thinking?

EDIT: Stop giving us the run around. Keep it in one thread please.

Swanhaven

08-10-2012

Quote:
Great question.

How precisely can you tell 'new stories' with the character when you've pretty much obliterated the original character and replaced it with an inferior substitute? Why not just...make a new character? And we already have Riven and Fiora. Katarina was interesting.

12345612 ... 18