Creative Design AMA: Katarina, the Sinister Blade

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Swanhaven

08-10-2012

The new lore is absolutely terrible. I don't understand what on earth whatever intern at Riot who typed this was thinking when they pressed their fingertips to the keyboard to produce this. Did somebody get their kid sister who just looooooooves 'The Hunger Games' or something to write this?

Oh god, where do I even start?

1. You took a professional killer and turned her into an incompetent who bungled her first mission
2. You took a person with a professed love of killing and turned her into someone with a 'passion for life'. No mention of her knifing a childhood playmate, no mention of her killer instincts, just 'Oh, she was trained in the ways of a knife as a child, she just gets a little carried away with the murder because she is just so passionate about Noxus~'
3. All personal connections in the story are completely removed. No sisters, no mention of her father except in passing, no Garen, no nothing.

You took what was a very good "bad" female character with a reputation for efficient ruthlessness and turned her into a total lackwit standard 'female bad guy!' psuedo-Riven wannabe with a nice big moral grey area inserted in her motivations so she doesn't have to be really bad, just sort-of bad. You stripped all originality and character out of her and made her into every 12 year old girl's self-insert fanfiction character.

I'm just disgusted by this whole fiasco.

Katárina

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renekton Bot View Post
Her new lore leaves a lot of questions unanswered, so thank you for doing this.

Now, as for those questions:

1) Katarina's Shunpo allows her to travel much faster than even her own knives. Has she ever thrown her dagger at someone, Shunpo'd to them, and stabbed herself?

2) She has two spins now. How is Garen going to feel about that?

3) Speaking of Garen, you seem to have erased the hint of romance between them. Was this done to prepare her for a far cooler, scalier boyfriend?

3a) How does Katarina feel about crocodiles?

4) Considering her outfit, how is it that she only has a scar on her eye?

5) How does she avoid getting her hair in her eyes as she's spinning around?

6) How does she feel about Zyra, considering Zyra is literally a Death Lotus?

7) Question Seven is a hypothetical situation:

Katarina is trapped in a Demacian prison. She's planning her escape when carnage breaks out somewhere in the city. Distracted, she listens as the chaos grows louder and louder until whatever it is makes it to the prison in which she is languishing. Thinking it a Noxian raiding party come to rescue her, she is surprised when what comes to stand before her cell is an eight foot crocodile. He is holding the keys to the door in one hand and grinning at her with vile intent.

He tells her that he will give her the keys, but first she has to do something for him.

The crocodile slips a bottle of scale polish through the bars.

My question is: Does she help this crocodile, whose arms can't quite reach those crucial spots on his back, and does she stick around to chat with him afterwards? I mean, he's really a nice guy beyond his insane, all-consuming rage and he came all this way just to see her.

If she does stick around, do they end up dating?

8) What is her favorite food? Does she have any favorite restaurants?

9) She seems to care little for jewelry, but what about chocolate? Flowers?

10) Is she ticklish?

11) Is her hair naturally red? Does the c--nevermind.

12) Really though, is she looking for a relationship right now? I mean, I'm coo--I mean my friend said he was cool either way, we're just curious.

Thanks again!
Question 3a is easy to anwser. If the crocodile enjoyes killing, I do as well. But the crocodile has a fox already. And beides... this kitty is too free spiritied and 'passionate' apperently.

Sylph

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Emissary of the League

08-10-2012

Upvotes to everyone who is keeping this professional and constructive as requested. Keep it mature guys. Nice job!

-Sylph
Runeterra Chronicler

Eserine

08-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maligan View Post
"Prominent" Noxian general, "prominent" Demacian soldier.

This bio seems to have been outsourced to India.
I agree, it rings of being translated from another language (by a person with an 6th-grade level English vocabulary)

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=2460711

xXIskanderXx

08-10-2012

i think the new lore by itself is not bad, but what makes it bad in my opinion is how katarina was portrayed in the past and the contrast it makes with the new one.
In the old lore i felt katarina was a badass soldier with little room for emotion during battle, the perfect warrior you could say with some great victories in her belt, so she consolidated her position before being a champion for the league of legends. In addition to that the are hints in the JoJ and in garen and kat lores that could hint to a possible romantic interest that could develop overtime between garen and katarina wich would give her another side wich is not shown often ( a tsunedere character).

Now with the new lore all her badassery and her feel of a cold killer are gone, there is no real explanation of why she is a champion of the league, because as many have pointed out she failed her first mission and had to rush into battle to fix her error, there is no mention of garen and their encounters in battle, nor any real proof that she did anything else that just train, get her first mission, fail, somehow fix her error, ????, champion of the league.

Of course the new lore is bad only if we contrast it with the old, and if the objective of riot was to completly change katarinas character then it isnt bad in itself.

ps: sorry for the bad english, not my main language.

Stielhandgranate

08-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotRaven View Post
I am here to answer all of your lore questions regarding the re-make of Katarina, the Sinister Blade! Ask me anything about her lore, character, story, and place in our universe, and I'll answer what I can!

For more information of our Bio Re-write Initiative, you can check out Kitae's post here.

Here's her new bio:

We would like to restrict this thread to constructive discussion of the Katarina re-make, so I thank you in advance for your participation!

New lore is poorly written and completely strays from her old lore, which was badass and original.

New lore reads like it was written by a 12 year old.

Ephringael

08-10-2012

Why is time being wasted on rewriting perfectly good lore when those resources would better be spent on ideas for new game modes, balancing, new items, and most importantly, bug fixes?

I want bug splat to stop popping up in the middle of games after I die. This is all I want. To be able to play a game I continue to spend money on is not a very big request. Lore seems trivial when the game still does not work properly. Can this be explained to me?

Ecclessian

08-10-2012

Interesting story, and it does focus more on katarina herself which lines up with what kitae wanted for the new bios, but I just don't agree with it in general. By focusing more on the champions themselves, you're losing a lot of the atmosphere in the League of Legends story as a whole..I don't know if this is important or not to anyone else, but I enjoyed seeing how all the champions or side characters were connected and these new bios truly clash with that.

but hey, this is an AMA so i'll go ahead and ask some questions.

In the new Katarina lore, am I reading it correctly that Kat killed a bodyguard/decoy and not her original target?

Is

Quote:
the prominent soldier who was the true military genius
Garen by any chance?

Sure, Katarina doesn't want to shame her family and instead wants to bring glory to her house. My question is whether or not she actually loves her family members (cass, marcus, etc.). Can a Noxion even feel such an emotion? Loyalty and the pursuits of glory do not necessarily imply endearment.

TheMeta88

08-10-2012

I am sorry. But this is a horrible retcon. Simple as that. Instead of her actually being interesting and original you turn her into a Noxian Fiora. With a slight twist of course but still.

I request that this retcon be with held from the main client untill we..."fix" it.

1. Why do you make her sound so....preppy? "free spirited" what? In her original lore she sounds like a bad ass. A woman growing up in a restrictive militaristic soceity. At birth she was meant to birth and nurture strong men for the Noxian military. But instead she decided to take up her fathers blades and carve a new path.

2. In her original lore she is competent! Do all the new lore HAVE to involve the "protagonist" losing at some point? Shyv lost her dad, Fiora her...dad..sort of..huh. Katarina also sort of loses her dad. You don't even mention her family name in the new lore! Are you burying the old lore? Are you trying to ignore General Du Couteau? Anyways, she targets the wrong guy and because of that Noxian soldies get crushed. Her and her family are dishonored so she goes leaping into combat and gets her scar. A nice touch. But a diamond in a pile of ****. I of course mean the scar. So now she goes to the League to prove that her and her family are not to be trifled with? Again...Fiora? I even notice this in Rengar's lore. A hunter at the top of the food chain. He fights a very powerful foe and for the most part loses. Now he joins the league to continue hunting powerful prey to fix his injured pride? Really! oi.

3. You claim to want the new Lores to have new relationships yet you litterally remove ALL of them in her new one. No garen, and no Dad. Why couldn't the "prominent soldier" have been Garen and he lives instead of dieing. Being another champion it is fitting that he survives her blade right? Also why cut out her dad? Again trying to cover it up? Trying to bury the old lore when you can? I don't like it.

I guess that's all. My question would be...Will you fix this? Because her new lore is simply atrocious. Sorry, I liked the others but now your just getting ridiculous. I liked Kata more when she was a Noxian Noble who is the daughter of a renowned and feared general who was amazing with the blade and who passed his knowledge to his daughter before dissappearing. She is no longer really sinister and nasty and in the league only because of her bloodlust and drive to be the best. Again she took on the Fiora mantle and is out to prove her strength and the strength of her family to the world.

Eserine

08-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXIskanderXx View Post
i think the new lore by itself is not bad, but what makes it bad in my opinion is how katarina was portrayed in the past and the contrast it makes with the new one.
In the old lore i felt katarina was a badass soldier with little room for emotion during battle, the perfect warrior you could say with some great victories in her belt, so she consolidated her position before being a champion for the league of legends. In addition to that the are hints in the JoJ and in garen and kat lores that could hint to a possible romantic interest that could develop overtime between garen and katarina wich would give her another side wich is not shown often ( a tsunedere character).

Now with the new lore all her badassery and her feel of a cold killer are gone, there is no real explanation of why she is a champion of the league, because as many have pointed out she failed her first mission and had to rush into battle to fix her error, there is no mention of garen and their encounters in battle, nor any real proof that she did anything else that just train, get her first mission, fail, somehow fix her error, ????, champion of the league.

Of course the new lore is bad only if we contrast it with the old, and if the objective of riot was to completly change katarinas character then it isnt bad in itself.

ps: sorry for the bad english, not my main language.
I disagree, the new lore is bad in itself. It lacks internal consistency, an explanation of how Katarina is more "legendary" than any normal Runeterran soldier, it is badly composed, and worst of all it is boring.