AP Cho gath

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

AlphaVoid

08-10-2012

Cho gath gets a decent amount of tankiness from his ult and his q and w have 0.9 ratios. Ive seen chogath build deathcaps before but when I try to go AP in ranked everyone rages... Is that just my elo?

TeknoWizard

08-10-2012

That's people screaming that he must be tanky, or you're bad. I wouldn't recommend FULL AP on him, however AP tank works very well. The reason being, his Q and W have very long cooldowns.

Vikaryous

08-10-2012

Don't go like, full-blown glass cannon AP, but building AP on him is perfectly viable

Personally I like tanky bruiser, but he can be built quite a few different ways

Kreyni

08-10-2012

Building items that provide you with tankiness and AP should be how you play Cho. I personally don't build much health at all on him, because of his natural high HP with Feast, but Armor/MR instead. Rod of Ages is a good item, and so is Zhonya's. Rylai's could work too, but the passive is a of a bit less use because of Cho's cooldowns.

Basically, tanky AP is the way to go. With 500 AP, you're going to be doing 1000 true damage nukes on short intervals, and surviving being in the middle of a fight so you can disrupt well.

Blaeniek

08-12-2012

My favorite is Rod of Ages and Deathcap for your damage, then build your usual tank regimen like FoN or Frozen Heart or what have you. If you're doing really well, you can stick Abyssal in place of FoN, since all you really lose is the regen, and gain quite a bit of damage for you and your team. Cho doesn't need to be built pure tank just cause his ult gives him health, and since he has scaling true damage on his ult, there is no reason not to built at least a little AP on him if you can get away with it.

Even that being said, he has enough utility and disruption that you can build him bruiser or pure tank, whatever your team needs. Just don't be stupid about it, and make sure most of your items have resistances or health along with that AP, with the occasional exception of Deathcap.

And as a last little point towards building AP: if you can Rupture-Scream-Feast and kill their carry, that requires the enemy team to focus you, therefore making you a good tank because you draw fire. Just ignore people shouting at you and do your best to prove them wrong.

And at your ELO (unranked last I checked) people will scream at you for just about anything. Sound intelligent and calm if you reply to them, and just play well and keep your team safe in fights.

Kamirga

08-12-2012

There are such awesome ability power/tank stats items that when tanks have high ratios you should be building at least one of them. Don't get me wrong there are definitely times when tank items are better than tanky ap items but typically for cho'gath i find the tanky ap to be better

RoA-630 health and 80 ap
Abyssal-57 MR and 70 ap
Frozen heart-99 armor and 20% cdr
zhonyas-50 armor and 100 ap
rylais-500 health and 80 ap
merc treads-25 MR

so with this build and boots you could get
+1130 health
+330 ability power
+82 MR
+149 armor
+20% cdr

so you could theoretically build a "full ap" build and yet still get huge amounts of tank stats. If you needed more tankiness you could sub any of these for a pure tank item, and if you don't even need this much survivability you could sub something for a deathcap or voidstaff