Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Suspension issued for EU Regional participant

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Karathrow

08-10-2012

Quote:
Opux:
I thought the point of a permanent ban was to stop a player from participating in the community due to toxicity, and they are believed to be unreformable? With that in mind, why is he only suspended for a single tournament? Are you encouraging permabanned players to make new accounts?

If so, that has some disconcerting implications with regards to how RP and permabanned accounts are handled. "You hurt some feelings, so we're going to take all your RP and unlocked content and make you start fresh," is just a little different from: "You hurt some feelings, your business is no longer welcome."

I'm not sure Riot really encourages it per se. They do tell permabanned players that is an option open to them but here's the thing: How would Riot stop people form making new accounts? What method would you enforce? IP bans do not work these days because they are easily circumvented.

Quote:
I agree with this sentiment. Why should he be treated more leniently simply because he plays in tournaments. Players who are deemed toxic to the point that they receive permanent bans should not be allowed to participate in any LoL games, tournament or not.

The fact that he was permanently banned would imply that he had received multiple bans in the past and that the had refused to change the manner in which he played and interacted with other players. He has ignored the warnings his punishment should be consistent across all forms of the game.

I agree with the spirit of what you and the previous post I quoted said but it is difficult to enforce such a ban or to have competitive blacklisting. Also a lot of top players get banned so I think Riot is sort of testing the waters with this stuff without handing out massive amounts of suspensions at once.

Tarroyn

08-10-2012

I think that the issue is that Riot can't exactly stop a permanently banned player from creating new accounts, and to prevent a player from doing so because of his fame would not be equality. I hope that his "main account" will be banned permanently, but that he will still be able to participate in future events. Just as players should not be above the law because of their popularity, they should not have extra restrictions piled on because of it. I see the main downside being a negative influence on fans, but I believe the loss of time and/or money spent on the account should be enough to dissuade players from performing bannable offenses.

kokxx

Recruiter

08-10-2012

So in a tournament he would be toxic to his own team. Where's the problem with that?

Either ban him permanently (like any other player who is toxic) or don't ban him at all. Where's the point of a one-tournament ban?

Eiales

08-10-2012

Quote:
Lord Quakeltikj:
So in a tournament he would be toxic to his own team. Where's the problem with that?

Either ban him permanently (like any other player who is toxic) or don't ban him at all. Where's the point of a one-tournament ban?

What's the point of a yellow card?
What's the point of a 2 minute penalty?
What's the point of a 6 month jail sentence?

kokxx

Recruiter

08-10-2012

Quote:
Eiales:
What's the point of a yellow card?
What's the point of a 2 minute penalty?
What's the point of a 6 month jail sentence?

Sorry, I think i worded that wrong, let me put it differently.

How is a one-tournament ban justified when the player has been permabanned.

I mean, he can't cause any "toxicity" in a tournament game anyways. And if he does so, it's his own team which suffers from that. He would be penalizing himself.
That's why I said either ban him completely or not at all (from tournaments).

Btw sorry for my bad english, not my mother language.

Karter Wid a K

08-10-2012

Quote:
Lord Quakeltikj:
Sorry, I think i worded that wrong, let me put it differently.

How is a one-tournament ban justified when the player has been permabanned.

I mean, he can't cause any "toxicity" in a tournament game anyways. And if he does so, it's his own team which suffers from that. He would be penalizing himself.
That's why I said either ban him completely or not at all (from tournaments).

Btw sorry for my bad english, not my mother language.

Tournament level players have more than one level 30 account they can use in tournaments lol. It's never been illegal to create another account after being permabanned, the permaban causes you to lose all the things you purchased on that other account and all the records/milestones you passed. By suspending him from the tournament they're actually giving him an ADDITIONAL punishment because no he won't be able to play on ANY account.

Xavin Nydek

08-10-2012

Quote:
Opux:
I thought the point of a permanent ban was to stop a player from participating in the community due to toxicity, and they are believed to be unreformable? With that in mind, why is he only suspended for a single tournament? Are you encouraging permabanned players to make new accounts?

If so, that has some disconcerting implications with regards to how RP and permabanned accounts are handled. "You hurt some feelings, so we're going to take all your RP and unlocked content and make you start fresh," is just a little different from: "You hurt some feelings, your business is no longer welcome."

I completely agree. If someone is deemed toxic enough to get their account permabanned, they shouldn't be welcome back in the game ever, for any reason. Obviously, that's difficult to enforce for normal play, but they certainly shouldn't be able to participate in any professional activities. Tournament suspensions should also start long before it gets to the point of permabanning someone.

Corruption44

08-10-2012

Quote:
RiotMarcou:

Upon further review from our eSports team, we confirmed the assessment by the Tribunal and have decided that Hosan will receive a one-tournament suspension as his online conduct is behavior that would be penalized at any and all official Riot Tournaments. The suspension will be served during the EU Regional Final..

shouldn't that read "He will be barred from all future tournaments" ?

EFG

08-10-2012

Pretty sad that a permanent ban only leads to a 1 tournament suspension.

MattMarcou

eSports Manager

Follow RiotMarcou on Twitter

08-11-2012

Quote:
Chernobyl56:
If I may ask...why is it a one-tournament suspension rather than a barring of all future tournaments? If his behavior is so in-congruent to the summoners code that his peers deemed him toxic to the game, why let him compete in the future?

You may ask and I will answer

When our rules committee decides punishments, there are a few other factors we take into consideration and we also ask ourselves "does the punishment fit the crime."

I've met Hosan in person and can say that he does not exhibit toxic behavior when at live events and interacting with tournament organizers. I think there was a disconnect in his mind between appropriate online behavior and in person behavior. A classic case of: the internet makes people feel anonymous and their actions appear to have little to no consequences.

Banning him from all competitions seems disproportionately severe to his "crime." It also seems to not acknowledge that people can change (especially young, maturing adults) or provide him an opportunity to correct his behavior.

At various periods of time in some cultures, it was considered acceptable to exact very heinous punishments such as cutting off the hands of someone who committed thievery. I think that a vast majority of us would agree that is an overly corrective action to take.

Hosan is a young and talent League of Legends player who is capable of change and should have the opportunity to pursue his talents. If he were to continue his inappropriate in game behavior and have another account banned, then you can be sure the penalties would be harsher next time.