Death

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

KalosCast

09-27-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronLegion View Post
Are you telling me if I found a Nexus and went around doing Un-runeterrian things I could reanimate myself as many times as I wanted?
As long as the area you were in was 'powered' by said Nexus.

Nexus resurrects.

Noxus reanimates.

Declipse

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-27-2010

Well, I'd mostly say that it works like this:
The summoner installs an interdimensional control portal on his computer, disguised as a mere game.
Through this portal he picks and aids a secondary materialization of a champion, which can sometimes gain free will and conflict with any commands given (also known as lag).
Whenever this copy "dies" it is slowly dematerialized and reconstructed until it can be summoned again.
Revive spell is pretty much a magical energy battery that is used to accelerate the process, it takes a long while to recharge tho.
That would be how most summoner spells work, channeling through the nexus and slowly regaining energy.

The Burning Waffle

09-27-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotBabagahnoosh View Post
There is a fine line between resurrection and reanimation.
Necromancy entails binding a soul so its subservient to you, whether or not you give it free will is your choice, and not restoring its body but either ripping its spirit out (Children of the Grave for example) or leaving a lifeless husk

Resurrection is the full restoration of body, mind, and soul, bringing the dead back identically how they were, but now with the experience of death. What they do then is their choice, not that of the resurrector.

Ergo: Resurrection is only with the consent of the dead, and they can choose to use it as motivation to avenge themselves or live a peaceful life, or they can choose to remain in the afterlife

Necromancy is forced, and they have no say in the matter.

TLDR: Necromancy is for jerks. Resurrection can only be done with the consent of the dead

profpwn

09-28-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotBabagahnoosh View Post
No real deaths occur inside a Field of Justice while it is powered by a nexus. Runeterra's magic is quite powerful, and it allows for revival with a minimum of discomfort to the champion.
poor urf, he was in the right place, just not at the right time.

hyliandanny

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-28-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronos Warrior View Post
I know they can die normally outside of League fights (Sion and Urgot) So how does it all work?
Magic.

Valderami

Recruiter

03-27-2011

But what about Urf, wasn't he in a match when he actually died?

Meldaran

05-16-2011

He was

belthazor3457

05-18-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronos Warrior View Post
So what happens when you kill a champion in a League fight. They obviously aren't really killed. How do they get brought back to fight again (respawning)? I know they can die normally outside of League fights (Sion and Urgot) So how does it all work?
On the fields of justice, summoner's rift, etc. The champions have their essence bound to the nexus. When they "die" on the fields of justice, the essence is recalled and reconstituted. There is no actual death, simply a down-time that is a timed penalty for dying, such is the rules of the game. The champions don't actually "die" in the literal sense. The closest real life comparison would be the summoners / champions playing a video game, and their characters, that represent them, are dying - just make things far more realistic for the players where they feel the character's pain.

See my post on the MW2 thread. = P

anyway, death outside the field of justice is actual, "real" death. Sion and Urgot were not resurrected, they were reanimated. Their bodies remain dead, they are undead, their consciousness was recalled and put into their bodies, which were repaired enough to function (sion) or repaired enough to perform certain specific tasks (urgot).

Outside of league fights, death is death, and death is permanent, barring ressurection, reanimation, and reconstitution - which would be far more complicated a task. In lore, it was specified that to reanimate sion, his remains had to be recovered from a Demacian controlled area - and Urgot's body was so badly damaged, it took a considerable ammount of resources, rituals, and technology to bring him back - and his body is still too damaged to do most tasks.

Reanimation seems to be much like a crafting art of some form, like carpenting or masonry... just a bit different and probably a bit more complicated. It's not perfect, it can't actually resurrect someone, it just allows the spirit to posess the person's dead (but repaired) body.

Reconstitution / rebirth, the best example is the phoenix and the egg (anivia). Such magic is probably long lost to the masses of Runeterra, however.

Resurrection, well, frankly LoL-lore doesn't talk much about resurrection... though if I had to venture a guess, I'd say that such magic is long lost, but would probably requires an enormous ammount of power and materials and rituals to resurrect someone. The closest cousin is probably very, very advanced reanimation far beyond the current level Zaun and Noxus have. Full resurrection would require the body to be completely repaired and living again in addition to the spirit of its former host returning to the same body - without any loss of power for the person being resurrected. Basic resurrection, reviving someone who died in the past few minutes, is probably very simple, but resurrecting someone who has been dead for more than a few hours would likely make it much more complicated. This would probably be a very closely guarded secret to those who know it, and would be reserved for only the most dire of circumstances to invest such a measure of materials, time, and energy into.

Example, MrAwesomeSauce saved the world from a void-portal opening and destroying all life on Runeterra 1,500 years ago, but died in the process, and MrAwesomeSauce is needed again to prevent another one from opening. Ressurecting MrAwesomeSauce would likely be incredibly costly, in both time, rituals, personell, and materials, so such a power would only be reserved for such dire circumstances.

leirynot

07-08-2011

So why are they able to die in training for the league? That is what happened to Orianna, you think they would train linked to an active nexus so they wouldn't really die.
Also, maybe they don't completely die, and are instead recalled when they are mortally wounded or can still be revived from death (as if they were "clinically dead, but can still be revived). That is what seemed to happen to Warwick in the season one trailor.