Death

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Fayd

Adjudicator

09-13-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotBabagahnoosh View Post
No real deaths occur inside a Field of Justice while it is powered by a nexus. Runeterra's magic is quite powerful, and it allows for revival with a minimum of discomfort to the champion.
Though it should be said: while the revival isn't terribly uncomfortable, death probably is. Avoid doing it please.

Liath

09-14-2010

when do we get a fricken map (not playable, like a detailed artwork map of summoner's rift)? I'd like to see this nexus network.

IntFam

09-14-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vuther View Post
Sounds kinda hypocritical with League 'not sanctioning necromancy', huh? Of course, I would prefer to fight for an important cause and not have stay dead for it.
I wouldn't call it necromancy. I've always thought of the revival process as the summoner creating a new vessel for their champion's soul rather than actually bringing their corpse (which is left on the field, as you can see) back to life.

I'm quite certain that, in the lore context of the game, the champions we control aren't the champions themselves, but embodiments of their spirit, which is why you can have two of each on the field at any given time.

That's my theory anyway.

Signal Warden

09-14-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fayd View Post
Though it should be said: while the revival isn't terribly uncomfortable, death probably is. Avoid doing it please.
Riverworld FTW?

Zzilb

09-14-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntFam View Post
I wouldn't call it necromancy. I've always thought of the revival process as the summoner creating a new vessel for their champion's soul rather than actually bringing their corpse (which is left on the field, as you can see) back to life.

I'm quite certain that, in the lore context of the game, the champions we control aren't the champions themselves, but embodiments of their spirit, which is why you can have two of each on the field at any given time.

That's my theory anyway.
They do seem to lay on the field for a while in game, but in the season 1 animation we saw the body being warped away/dematerialized in very pretty lights quite soon after defeat.

If we wait a bit, Baba will give us DIVINE TRUTH on the matter of double summoning. What makes you certain, though, and how unimportant are these embodiments in your opinion? The subject of what exactly we're putting on the field of justice has been discussed around this board a bit but hardly beyond the realm of unsubstantiated opinion. The phrasing of what little official word we have makes me think of Champions as singular and legitimate entities.

Kuroumahou

09-14-2010

I have a theory. Champions are linked with their Summoner through mind and possibly soul, a summoner will have a spasm if their champion gets wounded or "killed". However, due to this empathic link and the presence of a Nexus, no Champion really "dies," because their summoner is still alive. Also, if resurrection is this cheap, Sion wouldn't have needed Necromancy to come back to life.

Revive is an instant summoner spell. It has a long cooldown, but it's instant. Kind of reinforces how cheap resurrection would be in non-league matches if this kind of power is available. I think it's better to think of Revive as a sanctioned "Super Heal" spell that is only allowed to be used when a Champion falls in combat.

If Normal games are part of the canon, vessels are simply used to house a Champion's soul. Their soul doesn't split when there are two of the same champ, one soul sustains both bodies, but in these cases they give control of themselves wholly to their summoner to avoid the issue of trying to control both bodies. During these cases, a Champion gains a whole lot of influence by subjecting themselves to effectively twice as much pain.

Death timer increases from levels are either league sanctioned to make sure a match does not go on forever, or because it becomes harder to rejuvenate bodies of higher powered beings.

Gushma

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-15-2010

Well if it is the magic of the nexus and skills of summoners bringing the Champions back during the games, imagine the politcal backlash when a summoner makes a human error and can't bring back a beloved son or daughter of a city state. A real death in the game would make an interesting story for the league.

RiotBabagahnoosh

Creative Designer

Follow babagahnoosh on Twitter

09-15-2010
4 of 4 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronLegion View Post
Are you telling me if I found a Nexus and went around doing Un-runeterrian things I could reanimate myself as many times as I wanted?

Negative. Each Field of Justice is magically conditioned and ritualized to allow for quick corporeal reconstruction and spirit reanimation during a battle arena.

Finding a nexus is like finding a very rich oil deposit. You can't just slap the oil into your car and go; you need to process and refine the oil first.

Auroros Osprey

09-25-2010

barring necromancy, i theorize that champions do not actually enter the arenas to fight, but rather astral project themselves, and through the power of the nexus, their spirits for solidified into a tangible state, giving them a solid spirit body. this way, when killed in battle, they leave behind a shell of the spirit body, and returning the energy of the form itself back to the nexus to respawn. So the Nexus essentially "copies" and forms a duplicate arcane powered body, and when slain, the energy that powers the body returns to form another.

But thats just my guess. Hell if i know what the magi of Runeterra do.

Salganos

09-27-2010

I'm guessing from all this that if, say, Urgot's little incidents all took place near a large magical nexus, properly prepared and with certain enchantments linking him to it, he'd still be in one piece, and much less glowy.

Linking a whole army of people to one would probably be something of a chore, and the reviving them all while keeping their bodies functional and intact would likely take its toll on the nexus, resulting in the sort of bad things the League exists to prevent.

Seeing how these things don't seem very mobile, and thus this use would be less practical offensively, I'm wondering if anyone (the Institute of War, as some final contingency, even) parked their headquarters on one as a defense in the event of some kind of siege. Temporarily unkillable garrison FTW!