Champion Relaunch: Katarina, the Sinister Blade

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Larzous

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-18-2012

I'v been trying our her re-make because like some others I have loved Kat in the past and I own both Red Card Kat (world cup '10) and Kitty Kat('10 Harrowing I believe).

Anyway, while I like some of the new changes I personally feel that her early game is very week compared to other characters and while she seems to scale find from mid to late game her ultimate is VERY weak. I mean, even in AI matches vs bots her ult does like no damage. I mean, it says 500 + 400(ad/ap) and I did like 200 damage total and barely scratched the surface of hp on anything..

Until her abilities get scaled properly on her ult and early game we won't be seeing her played in ranked play.

Why redesign a character to not make them ranked play worthy? Just another champion that used to be great that needed a re-work that didn't get where it needed to be to be a viable pick for ranked/tournament play especially since she has no cc and no burst damage.

fakeaccnt

08-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by fakeaccnt View Post
One of the key things that made kat viable mid was her relatively reliable RANGED harass with Q buffed with killer instinct. Kat really needed this advantage over other ap carries because she would lose to almost any ap mid in 1-for-1 nuke trades if she got into range to Q-target the enemy mid directly and would put herself into an even worse position if she Shunpo'ed onto the enemy mid.

Bringing me to my next point:
Killer insticts was a LOT more important than the general public or even riot gives it credit for. Not only did it give Katarina some relevance in the laning phase, but it also was a really GREAT aspect of kat that experienced kat players could abuse. For example, you could activate Killer Instincts 10 seconds prior to an engagement and then have it right back up a couple seconds after using Q or E.

Now, the only way kat can get in some significant damage in the lane is if she gets in melee range. This is contingent on two conditions that must be true:
1. kat won't be instagibbed or out-traded by the enemy ap mid as a result of entering melee range
2. enemy jungler is spotted somewhere on the map
By removing her Killer Instincts, you are effectively nerfing Kat's early-mid game considerably, forcing Kat players to take unnecessary risks if they have any hopes of winning their lane.

Now, virtually the only way kat players can get kills at mid is if (a) the enemy ap is a complete imbecile or (b) your jungler ganks your lane successfully.

Not to mention, by implementing this kat remake, you are just turning her into an akali clone. Q applying marks? mark being consumed by basic attack or ability? W small aoe spell? is this a joke? In your constant efforts to make every champion unique, I was confounded by your decision to implement these changes.

Furthermore, you say in the youtube riotgamesinc mid-august patch preview video that kat's ultimate is unreliable? This is simply not true. As a kat player, you simply have to time when it is appropriate in any given teamfight or skirmish to use your ult (after the relevant CC has been burned) there is no real need to make any changes to her ult.

I sincerely hope that you consider retracting your kat remake decisions. Kat was an amazingly fun and viable champion to play, if played right. I honestly do not understand why you decided to remake this champion.
bringing back this comment, i LOL'd when they mentioned "DIVERSITY" in the "League of Legends Champion Retrospective" video. nuff said. looks like they're taking a step backwards with that patch.

XiuzSu

08-21-2012

As a constant Katarina player since day one that I joined LoL I've got to say... You guys "Riot" have destroyed her.
Let me clarify...

As most have already explained the importance of the damage her Q needs to be able to do, having split that damage in a sense by forcing player to destroy the new added marks severely puts them in unnecessary risk, this pretty much makes mid characters that usually stay back when fighting to have no problem fighting Katarina because when and IF hit by Katarina's Q they will most likely take very little damage. As it stands its practically impossible for a GREAT Katarina player to fight a DECENT Morgana player now.

Splitting the abilities of her old Killer Instinct into her E and R and adding Sinister Steel seems to be the ONLY good thing about her update, and at that point I really think you should of just stop right there and not do anything else.

The nerf on her Shumpo (because you lowered the damage it does and increased her CD!!), this skill alone was the skill that pretty much made Katarina who she is, as the glass cannon that Katarina is suppose to be, being able to get away from sticky situations was importantn Shumpo provided that, now you must wait 13secs, so once a jungler sees you use it a mid to pop a Mark that will automatically call out free kill, because Katarina will have no means of scape. You might say, well... use flash! Well guess what, remember that we just Shumpo into the enemy champion at mid? I'm willing to bet he would most likely be standing a little behind hes minions which would be a bit more than half of mid, at that point there's no real way to scape a jungle which like most, have slow or even a stun, Katarina being the glass cannon she is will most likely die. I know most of you will say, well, just being a bit more HP or tanky with Katarina, Why? So her already nerf skills do even LESS damage than what they already do? I used to laughed every time I fought Katarina's whom start out with shield and would have defense/CD masteries.

While Katarina's R now have healing reduction and I think its a great addiction, there seems to still be problems with it. I can't put my finger on it but I swear there is a nerf some where in there. Even while stacking AP and you guys supposedly made it so that her ult does more damage faster it seems that her new ultimate tickles enemies... I think this is a big joke... if the enemy isn't already severely injured 7/10 her R won't kill it, most likely I have to chase after them to use Q or W again!

In conclusion, I am not happy or satisfied with the overall change of Katarina, this is coming from someone who has played approximately 1000+ games with her!! As previous players have said, might as well change her lore because she is like Akali.

Please fix her, because as it stands, you guys have destroyed my favorite champion.

XuanBlaze

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-21-2012

This new ability set make kata more like a melee fighter than a assassin,
now more burst damage, but a low CD small melee Aoe.
And she still lack good status to be a melee fighter :S

This new W let katarina must put herself in danger range to output damage,
but 20% damage taken reduced from E doesn't save her life from this stupid action :S

Will you guys buff kata's basic status, or you guys will buff kata's ability basic damage, Riot ?

unstabl30

08-21-2012

ok to be completely honest im getting sick of riot buffing characters that really didnt need it. yes alot of these characters were falling off late game they were already rediculously over powered early game and they are characters that snowball so quickly early game that the only way to beat them at all was to wait for late game... by buffing all of their late game specs you have essentially taken away our only decent chance at beating them.... especially when you get teams that will have the latest character released (always overpowered) plus 4 characters that were already stretch that have now been buffed. there are far more obvious changes that need to be made to characters that have always been underpowered.

RaidenRain550

08-23-2012

have to say kat was one my most played champs and this rework just made it so that i dont want to play her anymore. after couple games trying it out. also i have to note that this is no longer the unique champ that she was when i got her. if i want some one to go against kat ill gladly take any champ i partially know how to use

DeHuntereD

08-23-2012

he is very nice kat

Ice of Death

08-26-2012

instead of buffing katarina why dont u just give us twitch back? he is worthless now even ashe is 10 times better than him whats the use of twich now? delete him he is worthless.

LegitKajit

08-29-2012

Fail

OmnesPotens

11-06-2012

Thats great that you tweaked kat and how she works, but one of the longest-standing champions who hasn't been made useful is Karma....she is a decent support and a good one if you practice with her, but I once read one of the Riot Champion Designers on the forums state that they try to design champions which can function in multiple roles....I have tried to use Karma midlane and seen people try to use her midlane plenty of times and she just cant cut it. Her ult is there since lvl1, but that cd on the max 2 charges takes way too long. I feel like her ult shouldn't be a "charge" type of ability, but instead be such that when activated it would empower all her abilities with the mantra bonus for 4-8 seconds depending on her level. Also, her w seems to be useful for escaping or get somewhere faster, but as for the damage aspect it seems nearly useless, she really just needs some serious reworking and tweaking.