Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Offline Practice Games

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

PorpoiseAlert

09-12-2010

Quote:
Fiolina:
Click and read the above thread. Some people are willing to pay for it, but the grand majority are not. And Riot has to do what is profitable.

This discussing is coming to a halt because you pretty much just ignored half of what I said. And what I said was, "We're not going to see a difference right away." Throwing more money and more employees at it is not going to solve the problem.

I read everything you said. But you did not read everything that I did. The very last response I posted asked whether if 1% of the game population wanted a feature and would pay for it might pay for itself. That is not a grand majority, but I guarantee you that more than 1% of the responses on this thread agree with me.. I agree with you that simple server problem solving would be a better use of money, but Riot has proved time and time again that this is not a quick fix. I bet there are a numbe of independent contractors who could create this in a month for 6k, let alone an entire team of programmers working on the issue.

Water Tao

09-12-2010

Quote:
UTMoonbog:
1.) Starcraft 1 and Diablo 2 are not valid examples, as they had no subscription fees. Hex editing and similar hacking are not an issue with, say, WoW, so why should they be an issue with LoL? I doubt that preventing hacking is such an esoteric trade secret that Riot can't figure it out.

2.) Exactly where are your figures coming from? Hundreds of thousands? LoL Does not have hundreds of thousands of players. Even if it did, I doubt that more than say, 1% of the population would be serious hackers. There are exploits in the game right now, and out of maybe 500 games played I have seen maybe two games wherein exploits were used to any beneficial effect. Do you seriously think that a majority of online gamers are programmers capable of scanning through code to find exploits?

3.) If Riot has to increase staff to deal with in-game issues... well, why not? I stated right at the beginning that this is something I would pay for. With, what, 60k people playing, I seriously douct that riot could not afford to code a single-player mode.

1. This game has no subscription fees so it is a viable example.
2. There's actually about 3,000,000 players on LoL
3. Because more staff = more money they are spending on that, instead of other areas.

Fiolina

09-12-2010

Quote:
UTMoonbog:
I bet there are a numbe of independent contractors who could create this in a month for 6k, let alone an entire team of programmers working on the issue.

You have no idea about programming, or what you're asking entails, so I'm not going to riducule you. However, you are very very wrong. Extremely wrong. So wrong that the entire statement sounds ludicrous.

In fact, I'm still not sure why you're still here discussing it when they're not going to release their server code in a singleplayer format anyway. It's been stated in triplicate that Riot is not considering a singleplayer client.

Quote:
ByronicHero:
Unfortunately, the thing that makes us virtually immune to predatory hacking also precludes us from being LAN friendly. League of Legends is run primarily server side in order to prevent players from tampering with the data flow. This significantly reduces the effectiveness of hacking.

Regrettably, as soon as we give people our tech so they can host LAN play, the cat's out of the bag and the hacking starts, so we're playing our cards close to the vest for now.

Although this statement is meant to address a similar (but not the same) issue, it still applies to the singleplayer client as well. Could they code around it? Yes. They could in fact redesign it so that this was not the case. But it would take a hell of a lot longer than a month and 6k, or they would have done it by now.

Quote:
Razgriez:
One of the problems with allowing this would be having to release the server code, which would open the door for grey shards. This isn't an issue for say, Starcraft 2, because they have a box price and once you've bought the client they've made their money. Also remember Starcraft 2 does not have a LAN mode either; you can only play single player offline as far as I know. Right now Riot only makes money on skins and champs since the client is free, and if someone had their own server running they could unlock everything and allow everyone to do whatever they wanted, and there would be no reason at all for anyone to play on Riot's servers.

Believe me, as a player I for one would love to be able to LAN LoL and have had many opportunities where it would have been awesome so I totally see where you're coming from, but it's just not in the plan right now to ever do that.

Sabnitron

Recruiter

09-12-2010

Quote:
UTMoonbog:
1.) Starcraft 1 and Diablo 2 are not valid examples, as they had no subscription fees. Hex editing and similar hacking are not an issue with, say, WoW, so why should they be an issue with LoL? I doubt that preventing hacking is such an esoteric trade secret that Riot can't figure it out.

2.) Exactly where are your figures coming from? Hundreds of thousands? LoL Does not have hundreds of thousands of players. Even if it did, I doubt that more than say, 1% of the population would be serious hackers. There are exploits in the game right now, and out of maybe 500 games played I have seen maybe two games wherein exploits were used to any beneficial effect. Do you seriously think that a majority of online gamers are programmers capable of scanning through code to find exploits?

3.) If Riot has to increase staff to deal with in-game issues... well, why not? I stated right at the beginning that this is something I would pay for. With, what, 60k people playing, I seriously douct that riot could not afford to code a single-player mode.

Dude, you've got to be trolling. Are you just being dense and contrary for the sake of being dense and contrary?

1. Yes they are. Subscription fees have nothing to do this. Also, LoL also doesn't have a subscription fee either. You already said you're not a programmer, and you don't know exactly how this works. You're just guessing. I've said it once before, and I'll say it again, it in works exactly in the way I described, because I am parroting Riot employees, and they DO know how it works.

2. There are at least 3 million subscribers. This is a fact. I'm not going to go google the link for you, because it's clear by the amount of research you've done, that you don't want to be tripped up by things like "facts" or "real statistics". Also, a majority of players are not going to go tear through coding and develop their own applications. A small handfull will, and the resulting software will be distributed through the community. Again, this is what happened in SC and D2, which is why I brought them up as a comparison. And again, you're clearly not familiar with online gaming.

3. What? Are you kidding me? I already explained that in my previous post. It's not a matter of coding a single player client. It's a matter of have an entirely new department to handle ongoing security issues for the life of the game.