Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Offline Practice Games

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

PorpoiseAlert

09-12-2010

Quote:
Milde:
This is the best suggestion I have ever read on the forums, I've thought about this myself and I often make practice games with only me and bots to test builds, etc. while the servers are online, if I could do this while the servers were offline, I would be grateful a thousand times to Riot

Exactly. I will pay 1000 RP for this feature RIGHT NOW.

Fiolina

09-12-2010

This feature is not going to happen.

Even if you ignore the fact that creating a singleplayer game out of the server code opens up the game to the wonderful world of hacks, there's still a problem.

They have to make a singleplayer client. And that's not something that would happen quickly. They obviously have stuff in the queue already (If you've been reading the PC Gamer stuff, you'd have a good idea of just how far back they plan stuff), and in another post somewhere hohums stated that it would take them up to a year to make a singleplayer client, and that's if they don't focus on trying to keep their servers up and work on their other projects.

This idea, while great, feasable, and honestly I wish for it too, is not going to happen anytime soon.

PorpoiseAlert

09-12-2010

Quote:
Fiolina:
This feature is not going to happen.

Even if you ignore the fact that creating a singleplayer game out of the server code opens up the game to the wonderful world of hacks, there's still a problem.

They have to make a singleplayer client. And that's not something that would happen quickly. They obviously have stuff in the queue already (If you've been reading the PC Gamer stuff, you'd have a good idea of just how far back they plan stuff), and in another post somewhere hohums stated that it would take them up to a year to make a singleplayer client, and that's if they don't focus on trying to keep their servers up and work on their other projects.

This idea, while great, feasable, and honestly I wish for it too, is not going to happen anytime soon.

Fair enough. Like I said, I am not a programmer, so I do not fully understand the effort this would take. I still think it would be a fix to a couple of major problems that riot has.

Fiolina

09-12-2010

Quote:
UTMoonbog:
Fair enough. Like I said, I am not a programmer, so I do not fully understand the effort this would take. I still think it would be a fix to a couple of major problems that riot has.

A fix it might be, but a quicker fix would be to just make the **** servers work. Even if it's frustrating for us in the meantime, Riot has to think about what's most profitable for them as well.

PorpoiseAlert

09-12-2010

Quote:
Fiolina:
A fix it might be, but a quicker fix would be to just make the **** servers work. Even if it's frustrating for us in the meantime, Riot has to think about what's most profitable for them as well.

Somehow I don't think this fix would be quicker. I've been waiting for nearly three months and the server instability is just as bad now as it was then.

Fiolina

09-12-2010

Quote:
UTMoonbog:
Somehow I don't think this fix would be quicker. I've been waiting for nearly three months and the server instability is just as bad now as it was then.

You also have to consider LoL's exponential growth. To us it appears nothing has been happening, but in reality, every time they fix one problem, another one comes up, and it's mostly due to all the new people playing each and every week.

For an example: World of Warcraft, before the expansions, had HORRIBLE server problems. This lasted for a long time. They were absolutely a nightmare. But they fixed them, and now they generally have extremely good servers. Riot's decision is to have extremely good hardware and a good supporting network and good software is going to be bumpy, but it's better than wasting time making a singleplayer client that doesn't make them money. Having better servers makes them money.

Max67

09-12-2010

inb4 riot sells this feature for RP.

As per the thread RiotChris made about extra features for RP...

Fiolina

09-12-2010

You mean this thread? (http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=231913) The one where everyone told Riot to go to hell and not charge for features?

PorpoiseAlert

09-12-2010

Quote:
Fiolina:
You also have to consider LoL's exponential growth. To us it appears nothing has been happening, but in reality, every time they fix one problem, another one comes up, and it's mostly due to all the new people playing each and every week.

For an example: World of Warcraft, before the expansions, had HORRIBLE server problems. This lasted for a long time. They were absolutely a nightmare. But they fixed them, and now they generally have extremely good servers. Riot's decision is to have extremely good hardware and a good supporting network and good software is going to be bumpy, but it's better than wasting time making a singleplayer client that doesn't make them money. Having better servers makes them money.

I like the concept of this, but have you yet seen these better servers that you are referencing? After playing for several months, I have yet to see any change. Sure, apparently the end of season one will include a massive prize pool, but either this is coming from drug money or Riot has decided that rewarding competitive players is more important than making their servers workable.

Furthermore, a single-player client will make them money if they charge for it. I already said several times that I would pay for this feature, and I am serious. If 1/100 of Riot's players (~600) paid $10 for this feature, would 6k really not pay for itself.?

Fiolina

09-12-2010

Click and read the above thread. Some people are willing to pay for it, but the grand majority are not. And Riot has to do what is profitable.

This discussing is coming to a halt because you pretty much just ignored half of what I said. And what I said was, "We're not going to see a difference right away." Throwing more money and more employees at it is not going to solve the problem.