Offline Practice Games

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

PorpoiseAlert

09-12-2010

I'm sure this has been suggested before, but I am going to restate it. Being as how it seems like the servers are down or nearly unusable at least twice a week (on average) it would be a great idea to allow offline practice. It wouldn't be that hard; just use the same code to implement an offline feature using only bots. This would of course grant no IP or XP, but it would allow players to test out and tweak new champions during the frequent downtimes (such as right now, for instance.) I think if this feature was available, less people would be upset over the down time.

Also, Riot? This is a feature that I would pay for. Seriously.

PorpoiseAlert

09-12-2010

Selfish bump because I want people to weigh in on this.

Shasz

09-12-2010

Agreed. Offline practice with no IP or XP just makes sense.

1. It would alleviate stress on the servers if you remove online practice.

2. It would give us a place to try new champs without the pressure of contributing to the team, or having to find a large enough group of players to start an online practice match.

3. I'm quickly losing interest in the game with all the downtime, and if I could at least explore other champs while the servers are down it would help keep interest levels up.

AceVentura

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-12-2010

It would allow people to reverse engineer and create their own servers. Not gonna happen

Louise

09-12-2010

practice games should never give XP/IP in the first place. offline practice (solo) seems like a no brainer. allow people to learn champs and practice offline, no **** server load and it'll serve its intended purpose for people to actually PRACTICE

PorpoiseAlert

09-12-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shasz View Post
Agreed. Offline practice with no IP or XP just makes sense.

1. It would alleviate stress on the servers if you remove online practice.

2. It would give us a place to try new champs without the pressure of contributing to the team, or having to find a large enough group of players to start an online practice match.

3. I'm quickly losing interest in the game with all the downtime, and if I could at least explore other champs while the servers are down it would help keep interest levels up.
1.) Exactly. I would actually play a lot of offline practice games even while the servers were up.

2.) The feeling of "trial by fire" even in practice games leads to playing champions less effectively. If I could play against bots for 5 or so games without ever actually playing against human opponents or creating a smurf account to alleviate the pressure to do well, I would. Starcraft has always had this; why doesn't LoL?

3.) Exactly.

PorpoiseAlert

09-12-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceVentura View Post
It would allow people to reverse engineer and create their own servers. Not gonna happen
I'm not talking LAN-capable practice games. If you made the code available, sure, this would be a problem. I mean single-player only games. which are no more vulnerable to independent server creation than the PVP.net variety.

PorpoiseAlert

09-12-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaolla View Post
practice games should never give XP/IP in the first place. offline practice (solo) seems like a no brainer. allow people to learn champs and practice offline, no **** server load and it'll serve its intended purpose for people to actually PRACTICE
Completely in agreement.

Seiuchi

09-12-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTMoonbog View Post
I'm not talking LAN-capable practice games. If you made the code available, sure, this would be a problem. I mean single-player only games. which are no more vulnerable to independent server creation than the PVP.net variety.
There is no special PVP.net variety of single player games. Every game of LoL uses Riot's servers, even if it's just you and nine bots.

PorpoiseAlert

09-12-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seiuchi View Post
There is no special PVP.net variety of single player games. Every game of LoL uses Riot's servers, even if it's just you and nine bots.
And is there any reason that the application itself ought to not be able to work offline? Like I said, Starcraft and Warcraft have always been able to function with their own offline capabilities, which trained players to use their races more effectively. Is there some reason that LoL could not follow the same pattern?