Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

League Judgment - Nasus

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Thoth

09-12-2010

Thought I would give this a try, since Nasus was my first main, I love Egyptian and Egyptian-themed mythology, and his lore is not that well fleshed out.
---
League Judgment – Nasus

OBSERVATION

“The truest opponent lies within.”

The message etched on the silver sign above the expansive double doors is either a warning or a harbinger to those who would enter and test themselves for the league. It all depends on your point of view.

Is one's view inward, into themselves, their deeds, their guilt, their feelings, their anguish? Or outward? To friends, to enemies, to glory, to actions?

Nasus has gazed outward for as long as he can remember, watching from the Great Library of his home as his blood-kin waged a bloodthirsty campaign, desperate for forced labor to expand their desert empire. They looked just like Nasus. They all looked just like his people. What would drive them to such violent fervor? Was it some lack of enlightenment, some spark of intelligence?

But does he gaze inward as well? He spins his staff idly, bringing the base of the shaft smartly onto the giant stone path which beckons only forward. The impact pings off of the walls; its path can be traced from wall to wall. Nasus follows it with his eyes, deigning not to turn his head to meet the kinetic sound. He puts all his weight on his staff, his body leaning forward but not tipping over. There is a pained expression on his face, as if he were exerting himself. He sighs audibly, as he steps forward, reaching his right hand out to push the massive doors ajar.

REFLECTION

A flash of light from the center of his eyes obscures his vision, but soon, Nasus feels the sand, under his feet, and the smell of familiar air: Nasus is home.

If only. Nasus recognizes the nature of the illusion in front of him and around him. It is a battle, between people of his kind, and those that worship them. Battle is a gratuitous word. The height difference alone between the two factions (his people stand thrice that of their worshippers), and the fact that the worshipers, with terror painting their faces are running as fast as they can from their aggressors. In vain, no less.

Nasus starts to walk through the scene, solemnly observing the deeds being done here, and about to be done. Strangely, it didn't occur to him at first, but now he notices that the battle is stagnant. Literally. The moment is frozen in time. No one is moving, breathing. The air is still. There are no winds, no sand grains kicked up and flying around. Correction: The sand grains are hovering. Time stands in anticipation.

This is no battle after all. This is the middle of a slaughter. These people look like Nasus, but they share few, if any, of his qualities. It is actions like the one displayed here that drove the Curator to his library, where he surrounded by the combined knowledge of millions of years. Out here, these savages disregard wisdom for savagery and bloodshed. Nasus never came out often. He didn't fight wars; he had no interest in ruling. This was not his place.

His pulse quickened as he tightened his grip around his staff. This scene was too lifelike; at the snap of a finger, this scene would continue, and lives would be rent asunder. But for now... it was still. Urgency struck his fingertips as a body's length in front of him, a fellow kinsman was raising his arm, preparing to swipe at one of the humans; the injuries would be fatal.

Nasus raises his staff and brings it down with a mighty shout, and more emotion than he knows what to do with. The staff merely bounces off the head of the creature and ricochets back, vibrating noisily and painfully in Nasus's hands. The scene remains still. The creature's head turns impossibly in this snapshot of time, and speaks to him.

“Brother,” the creature simply utters in a guttural tone, as if the act of saying the word was most unpleasant. The creature's body remains perfectly still, arm in mid-motion. Only the head, with unblinking eyes, faces Nasus, who recognizes the voice.

“Renekhton,” he says. But it is not him, the creature in front of him is not his brother. It is just his voice. The creature pauses, if such a thing could be discerned in this frozen time.

“Why do you want to join the League, Nasus?”

Nasus breaks eye contact for brief moment. He faces the effigy of his brother and says, “I must know if I can effect change, that I can be more than an observer of events.”

The face tilts to the side, then snaps forward, its voice more urgent and violent. The snout turns black, and the eyes flare red. “Why do you want to join the League, Nasus?”

That Nasus wanted to effect change was obvious. The answer was not good enough. It could not be.

“I must know... if I can do more than just maintain balance. To put weight and force behind my feelings and emotions... and kill those like you, brother.”

“How does it feel, exposing your mind?” the visage asked, its eyes and snout returning to normal. Nasus knew that it was not really his brother, and he knew what the whole point, of all of this, where “this” referred to the scene surrounding him, was.

“It feels... mildly uncomfortable,” the Curator remarks in a raising tone of voice. “I am unaccustomed to such public introspection.”

With another flash of light, Nasus is torn from his home. Another massive set of ornate doors swing wide in front of him.

Nasus would have plenty of time to acclimate to introspection, now that he has been taken from his books and his solitude. "The truest opponent lies within." The inscription is now behind him, and is farther and farther from sight as Nasus steps forward into the League of Legends.

Hakairyu

09-12-2010

Wow, this is pretty well written. Nice. =)

Booty Colin

Recruiter

09-12-2010

that was really well written. gramatically correct, no less!
edit: whoops except the tense change :P but who cares?

Thoth

09-13-2010

Woah, where do I have a tense incongruity? I actually paid attention to those.

Munchlord

09-13-2010

That, sir, was awesome. I wholeheartedly approve. TBH, your judgement dwarfs some of the Riot ones as far as quality goes. Kudos and cookies to you.

Von Nicklesnout

09-13-2010

I absolutely loved it. Make more and pleasure our senses, dear author.

K D Bonez

09-13-2010

Well done indeed. Suits Nasus perfectly!

Thoth

09-13-2010

Wow, thank Riot for this forum. I posted this on GD and it got buried within minutes. Thank you for all your kind words.

Rest assured I plan to do some more. I have an idea kicking around for Kog'Maw that's ready to see font to document. I also have a Twisted Fate story that literally just now popped into my head; that I could write blind.

Booty Colin

Recruiter

09-13-2010

the incongruities that i noticed were in the time freeze and right after his judgment.
"His pulse quickened as he tightened his grip around his staff. This scene was too lifelike; at the snap of a finger, this scene would continue, and lives would be rent asunder. But for now... it was still. Urgency struck his fingertips as a body's length in front of him, a fellow kinsman was raising his arm, preparing to swipe at one of the humans; the injuries would be fatal. "

i know that since it's a memory, it should be PT, but it seems like the entire scene(or at least his actions) are current.

also- the spirit "asked" and he "remarks"- not sure what that means but how i interpreted it.
but like i said super well written.

Thoth

09-13-2010

Good catch, that should all be present tense. In all honesty, my writing chops are rusty. Although, when I write Kog'Maw, tense will be irrelevant.